Cannes (2011)

Started by Stefen, February 25, 2011, 12:01:23 AM

Stefen

Not many announcements yet but I figure we could speculate and discuss what we would like to see premiere there. The potential for one of the best Cannes in awhile is certainly there.

Woody Allen's new romantic comedy Midnight In Paris is set to open the festival (vomit), but I am also crossing my fingers for...

The Tree of Life (of course)
The Kid With A Bike (Brothers Dardenne)
Shame (Steve McQueen)
This Must be the Place (Paolo Sorrentino)
Skin That I Inhabit (Almodovar)
Melancholia (Von Trier)
The Grandmasters (Wong Kar Wai)

This year could be really great. You guys looking forward to anything?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

We Need To Talk About Kevin

wilder

It'd be great if Margaret finally appeared but I'm not holding my breath.

modage

Is anyone actually going/has anyone ever been to Cannes?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

I've been in 2006!

...... but not during the festival. I did see Jean Claude Van Damme... or maybe it was just a russian dude on a boat. He kinda looked like him though.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

:yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup:

In Competition:
"The Skin That I Live In" - Pedro Almodovar
"L'Apollonide"" - Betrand Bonello
"Footnote" - Joseph Cedar
"Paterre" - Alain Cavalier
"Once Upon A Time In Anatolia" - Nuri Bilge Ceylan
"The Kid With The Bike" - The Dardenne Brothers
"Le Havre" - Aki Kaurismaki
"Hanezu no Tsuki" - Naomi Kawase
"Sleeping Beauty" - Julia Leigh
"Tree of LIfe" - Terrence Malick (THIS IS CORRECT - IN COMPETITION  :shock:)
"La Source de Femmes" - Radu Mihaileanu
"Polisse" - Maïwenn Le Besco
"Harakiri" - Takashi Miike
"We Have A Pope" - Nanni Moretti
"Melancholia" - Lars Von Trier
"This Must Be The Place" - Paolo Sorrentino
"Drive" - Nicholas Winding Refn
"We Need To Talk About Kevin" - Lynne Ramsay

Un Certain Regard:
"Restless" - Gus Van Sant
"Martha Marcy May Marlene" - Sean Durkin
"The Hunter" - Bazur Bakuradze"
"Halt auf freier Strecke" - Andreas Dresen
"Skoonheid" - Oliver Hermanus
"Hors Satan" - Bruno Dumont
Les Neiges du Kilimandjaro" - Robert Guédiguian
"The Days He Arrives" - Hong Sang-Soo
"Bonsai" - Christian Jimenez
"Tatsumi" - Erik Khoo
"En maintenant, on va ou?" - Nadine Labaki
"Ariang" - Kim Ki Duk
"Loverboy"- Cătălin Mitulescu,
"Toomelah" - Ivan Sen
"Yellow Sea" - Na Hong-Jin,
"Miss Bala" - Gerardo Naranjo,
"L'exercice de l'Etat" - Pierre Schoeller,
"Oslo, August 31st" Joachim Trier
"Travailler fatigue" - Juliana Rojas, Marco Dutra

Out of Competition:
"The Beaver" - Jodie Foster
"The Artist"  - Michel Hazanavicius
"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" - Rob Marshall
"La Conquete" - Xavier Durringer
"Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom Of Doom" - Jennifer Yuh

Special Screenings:
"Labrador" - Frederikke Aspock
"Le maître des forges de l'enfer" - Rithy Panh
"Un documentaire sur Michel Petrucciani" - Michael Radford
"Tous au Larzac" - Christian Rouaud
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Von Trier, Malick, Van Sant, and Almodovar? Dang.

john

I hadn't been following the progress of Lynne Ramsay's latest, so it's exciting to see that it is finished.

Second to Tree of Life, We Need To Talk About Kevin is probably my most anticipated film at the festival. Can't wait to hear the reception it gets.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 14, 2011, 12:06:15 PM
Von Trier, Malick, Van Sant, and Almodovar? Dang.
Not to mention Refn's new one with Ryan Gosling! Looks to be the makings of a good year.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

Malick's 'Tree of Life' wins top Cannes fest honor

CANNES, France -Terrence Malick's expansive drama "The Tree of Life" has won the top honor at the Cannes Film Festival, while Kirsten Dunst took the best-actress prize for the apocalyptic saga "Melancholia." The prize was accepted Sunday by two "Tree of Life" producers for the press-shy Malick, who skipped all public events at the glamorous Cannes festival. Dunst won for her role in the end-of-the-world tale "Melancholia," whose director, Denmark's Lars von Trier, was banned from the festival after sympathetic remarks for Adolf Hitler at a press conference. Jean Dujardin claimed the best-actor prize for the silent film "The Artist," in which he plays a 1920s Hollywood star whose career crumbles as talking pictures gain.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 22, 2011, 01:43:20 PM
Lars von Trier, was banned from the festival after sympathetic remarks for Adolf Hitler at a press conference.

I cannot fucking believe that this is the take away from everything that happened. It should read, "... after some idiots couldn't take a joke that everybody (including von Trier) admitted was stupid. The goddamned French!"