has You Shall Know Our Velocity been purchased?

Started by GoneSavage, April 30, 2005, 09:26:11 PM

GoneSavage

How would someone go about finding out if a book's rights have been purchased?  I realize Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is being kicked around like a soccer ball but has anyone started work on You Shall Know Our Velocity?  

Sidenote:  How much does it cost to claim rights to develop a book into a movie?  Does industry bullcrap come into the picture or can any enthusiastic jerk with money accomplish this?

Thank you in advance to the time you dedicate in answering this thread.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: GoneSavageHow would someone go about finding out if a book's rights have been purchased?  I realize Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is being kicked around like a soccer ball but has anyone started work on You Shall Know Our Velocity?  

Sidenote:  How much does it cost to claim rights to develop a book into a movie?  Does industry bullcrap come into the picture or can any enthusiastic jerk with money accomplish this?

Thank you in advance to the time you dedicate in answering this thread.

id be very very suprised if every ounce of text from dave eggars had not been already purchased. i'd imagine the film rights to heartbreaking work and you shall know our velocity sold in the 6 to 7 digits. if by the extremely unlikely chance that velocity had not been optioned, they (publisher and/or author) would be extremely hesitant to option the text to a producer/filmmaker with no experience or resources to actually get the film produced.
...your excuses are your own...

GoneSavage

Quoted be very very suprised if every ounce of text from dave eggars had not been already purchased.
Good point.  Just looking on a place to find who did.
Quotethey (publisher and/or author) would be extremely hesitant to option the text to a producer/filmmaker with no experience or resources to actually get the film produced.
I agree with you.  Although Dave Eggers is not a normal cat, but I'm sure he'd be rational about the whole thing.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: GoneSavage
Quoted be very very suprised if every ounce of text from dave eggars had not been already purchased.
Good point.  Just looking on a place to find who did.
Quotethey (publisher and/or author) would be extremely hesitant to option the text to a producer/filmmaker with no experience or resources to actually get the film produced.
I agree with you.  Although Dave Eggers is not a normal cat, but I'm sure he'd be rational about the whole thing.

i guess you have to look at it like this: if his book was un-aquired and was so desperate to get it produced, he'd probably have an easier time getting it produced than someone who has no money/credibility/resources ( this is by no means directed towards you - just playing devil's advocate)

id call the publisher - they'll tell you straight up
...your excuses are your own...

GoneSavage

No, I wasn't implying that I was about to buy the rights.  When I said he'd be rational, I was trying to complement your point about him seeking someone more established to bring it to the screen.  He'd be rational and not let some punks go with it.

Pubrick

The Grapevine
News about upcoming movies that are actually going to be released soon and have confirmed details and preferably trailers to go with them.

News & Theory
a place exclusively for LISTS, box-office/awards/industry/festival news, speculation, opinion, and miscellaneous discussion of abstract concepts.
under the paving stones.

squints

speaking of which...whats the latest word on A Heartbreaking Work? i serached xixax...maybe i'm just not looking hard enough...any help?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche