Your Biggest Disappointments of 2004 - A LIST Thread

Started by modage, January 07, 2005, 04:07:13 PM

oakmanc234

Bourne Supremecy: I feel like I'm the only one on earth who doesn't LOVE this flick. I found it flat & dull as all hell.
Oceans 12: While I liked it, it really is a massive dissapointment. It goes for 2 hours and really, jack all happens. At least the first one was a great flick. The ONLY enterainment factor in this one is the stars who are in it, because the film itself is nuthin to talk about...
Exorcist the begining: Okay I knew this was gonna be shit, but not THAT shit. My god...
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: life_boy
QuoteWhat are your Biggest Disappointments of 2004?

Every film released = Biggest disappointment ever.  Way overrated by the critics.  Made too much money in the theaters.  Too much fluff.  Didn't go far enough.  Could have been better.  Assholes like it for the wrong reasons.  Too long.  Too boring.  Too heavy-handed.  Too controlled.  Too deep.  Not my favorite film.  Lacked daring.  Lacked subtlty.  Way overhyped.  Too uneven.  Too fake.  Nothing new.  Will Smith = Fecal matter.  Too sketchy.  Good trailer, bad movie.  Not artistic enough.  Too artistic.  No depth.  Not as good as it could have been.  Nothing to write home about.

Worst.  Year.  Ever.

I can't tell if you're just mocking the thread in general, or making a mockery of yourself by being serious.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cine

well i asked life_boy a week ago to list all the films he saw this year.. and i guess he didn't wanna do that. so he really has no idea what he's talking about.

Pas

I tought Faranheit 9/11 was way disapointing. It was repetitive and tedious, and my least favorite Micheal Moore film, which I usually really like.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

UncleJoey

Quote from: Pas RapportI tought Faranheit 9/11 was way disapointing. It was repetitive and tedious, and my least favorite Micheal Moore film, which I usually really like.

You liked The Big One more than F 9/11? Maybe you just forgot about it - a lot of people do. The more I thought about The Big One, the more uncomfortable it made me feel. Of all his films, it seems to be the least genuine. I definitely think F 9/11 wasn't as good as Roger and Me or Bowling for Columbine, but it blows away The Big One.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

life_boy

Quote from: Walrus ShakurI can't tell if you're just mocking the thread in general, or making a mockery of yourself by being serious.

I wasn't so much mocking the thread as I was the general list of dislikes for movies by people like us.  Depending on how many of those reasons come together in the collected films we see in a given year, we then determine the disappointment level we feel by all those who should know better than to do this or that.  I have begun to try and discern the nature of the general shallowness of my film viewing and thought I would express that in the form of satire.  Sorry if it went over everyone's head.

Quote from: cinephilewell i asked life_boy a week ago to list all the films he saw this year.. and i guess he didn't wanna do that. so he really has no idea what he's talking about.

Speaking of making a mockery of oneself by being serious...I didn't feel a serious response to a blatantly non-serious post was even worth putting the words together to express the thought that it was a joke.  So, yeah, I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

ono

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I wasn't so much mocking the thread as I was the general list of dislikes for movies by people like us.  Depending on how many of those reasons come together in the collected films we see in a given year, we then determine the disappointment level we feel by all those who should know better than to do this or that.  I have begun to try and discern the nature of the general shallowness of my film viewing and thought I would express that in the form of satire.  Sorry if it went over everyone's head.

Satire's fine, here, but you're dealing with elitists.  Some people really do hate everything.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Slick Shoes

Napoleon Dynamite... I didn't get around to seeing it until about three weeks ago. Aside from all the regular people I have heard singing its praises, I read an interview with Jonathan Demme where he said he has seen it multiple times and it has inspired him. Then, I read another interview where David Gordon Green was saying how he has seen it like three times or something and thought it was so bold and he loved it and blah blah blah. So, yeah, after all that I was sort of underwhelmed.

mehico

cat woman not quite bad enough to be funny (as i had hoped) just bad.
You are the son of incestuous union.

life_boy

Top 5 "Eh's" of 2004[/b]
These movies aren't the worst or anything, they were just films that I was hoping to like and ended up not really caring much for them, although they weren't really bad movies.

1.  Million Dollar Baby - Clint Eastwood
I admit that I used to put a lot of stock in Ebert's Top Ten List.  I admit that 2004 was no exception.  I admit that I came to this movie expecting to like it because I liked everyone involved and even if it didn't live up to the hype, at least there would be something good about it.  Well, the story just didn't work for me.  The last 45 minutes felt out-of-place.  The acting felt wasted on mediocre material.  To me, this was a decent genre film that decided to tack-on a hot-button issue at the end to add "importance."  It didn't work for me.  

2.  The House of Flying Daggers - Zhang Yimou
People were freaking out about how fucking cool this movie was.  It really wasn't that cool.  Some of the fight scenes were nice, the cinematography was good, but the story was just kind of rambling.  And why does CGI have to be involved in martial arts fights, now?

3.  The Dreamers - Bernardo Bertolucci
I know there's a number of people here who love this film.  I don't.  I found it wholly uninteresting, even though I find the cinema to be enthralling and the time period of the film very interesting.  The characters were childish but they never felt real enough to care about.  I felt like this film was so detached that the detachment wasn't even a comment on anything, it was just a distraction.  

4.  Ray - Taylor Hackford
Jamie Foxx should have had better material to work with.  The dude turned in a great performance in an amazingly mediocre film.  Taylor Hackjob seems like he's in a hurry to get through Ray's life, but he's not in a hurry to get anywhere except that pathetic fucking ending note.  After that, one goes, "What the hell did I spend 2 1/2 hours watching this movie fer?"  This could have been such an interesting story, but the screenwriter felt like he had to do Ray's life as a greatest hits collection instead of actually telling the story of the man and getting into why he did what he did and why that was important.  The 2 1/2 hour biopic that did that was The Aviator, which I really enjoyed.

5.  Garden State - Zach Braff
Geez, the way some people talked about this one (not really anyone here, of course), you'd think it was groundbreaking or something.  It's also not nearly as bad as some people say.  It just exists.  There's some nice songs and some decent moments; there's some dumb scenes and some pretentious moments.  Nothing worth writing home about.  This should find a place in the okay movies thread (except I don't own it).

SHAFTR

I know there's a number of people here who love this film.  I don't.  I found it wholly uninteresting, even though I find the cinema to be enthralling and the time period of the film very interesting.  The characters were childish but they never felt real enough to care about.  I felt like this film was so detached that the detachment wasn't even a comment on anything, it was just a distraction.  

Jamie Foxx should have had better material to work with.  The dude turned in a great performance in an amazingly mediocre film.  Taylor Hackjob seems like he's in a hurry to get through Ray's life, but he's not in a hurry to get anywhere except that pathetic fucking ending note.  After that, one goes, "What the hell did I spend 2 1/2 hours watching this movie fer?"  This could have been such an interesting story, but the screenwriter felt like he had to do Ray's life as a greatest hits collection instead of actually telling the story of the man and getting into why he did what he did and why that was important.  The 2 1/2 hour biopic that did that was The Aviator, which I really enjoyed.

agreed
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

Pas

Quote from: life_boyTop 5 "Eh's" of 2004[/b]
These movies aren't the worst or anything, they were just films that I was hoping to like and ended up not really caring much for them, although they weren't really bad movies.

1.  Million Dollar Baby - Clint Eastwood
I admit that I used to put a lot of stock in Ebert's Top Ten List.  I admit that 2004 was no exception.  I admit that I came to this movie expecting to like it because I liked everyone involved and even if it didn't live up to the hype, at least there would be something good about it.  Well, the story just didn't work for me.  The last 45 minutes felt out-of-place.  The acting felt wasted on mediocre material.  To me, this was a decent genre film that decided to tack-on a hot-button issue at the end to add "importance."  It didn't work for me.  

2.  The House of Flying Daggers - Zhang Yimou
People were freaking out about how fucking cool this movie was.  It really wasn't that cool.  Some of the fight scenes were nice, the cinematography was good, but the story was just kind of rambling.  And why does CGI have to be involved in martial arts fights, now?

5.  Garden State - Zach Braff
Geez, the way some people talked about this one (not really anyone here, of course), you'd think it was groundbreaking or something.  It's also not nearly as bad as some people say.  It just exists.  There's some nice songs and some decent moments; there's some dumb scenes and some pretentious moments.  Nothing worth writing home about.  This should find a place in the okay movies thread (except I don't own it).

YES, YES, no, YES, YES