Best/Favorite/Future Biopics

Started by MacGuffin, October 31, 2004, 09:33:15 PM

MacGuffin

Beginning with what started here:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=162230#162230

Some of my faves:

Gia (yes it's an HBO 'TV Movie', but it's better than most biopics, especially for Angelina Jolie's performance)
The Buddy Holly Story
Raging Bull
Schindler's List
The Elephant Man
Ed Wood
Sid & Nancy
Bugsy
Blow
Basquiat
The Miracle Worker
My Left Foot
The People vs. Larry Flynt
Tucker: The Man and His Dream
Malcolm X
Nixon
What's Love Got To Do With It
Lenny
Rudy (sap, I know, but it always brings a tear to my eye)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

No La Bamba?

"he doesn't want a wife. he wants a love slave, one that he can kick around."
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

lamas

I'll toss in:

The Last Emperor
Reds

MacGuffin

Quote from: StefenNo La Bamba?

While I like it, and I do own the DVD, it's not one of my favorites. I think "Buddy Holly" is a better 'rock-n-roll' biopic, with a greater performance by Gary Busey.

I should also add "The Doors" since it's really more about Jim Morrison than about the band.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Well, does Almost Famous count?

Or is it just 51% "Based on a True Story"?

;)

rustinglass

I liked kundun

If almost famous counts, velvet goldmine should too.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Quote from: rustinglassIf almost famous counts, velvet goldmine should too.
they dont.  do you guys know what a biopic is?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

metroshane

We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

pete

the enigma of kaspar hauser.  or selena.  I can't decide.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Thrindle

Classic.

cowboykurtis

all that jazz can kind of be considered an autobiopic
...your excuses are your own...

rustinglass

Amadeus
Bonnie and Clyde
Immortal Beloved - Gary Oldman was great in it
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Myxo