77th Annual Academy Awards - Winners Listed on Page 10

Started by MacGuffin, October 14, 2004, 02:00:15 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: matt35mmI was really happy when Before Sunset was nominated for screenplay--however, I still don't understand why it's nominated for adapted.

This is because Before Sunset is Based On Characters created by Richard Linklater and Kim Krizan.

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.I don't know if it was eligible, but if it was I am ecstatic: no nomination for Fahrenheit 9/11?

Moore himself pulled it from the Best Documentary consideration to pursue a Best Picture nod.

Quote from: ®edlumIs Motorcycle Diaries not eligible for foreign picture or something? I was kind of baffled by the BAFTA Best picture and best foreign picture nomination. Whats the deal?

In the case of the BAFTA's, it's nominated for Best Film Not In The English Language, just to clarify the difference. As for the Oscars, it wasn't considered a Foreign Film since it debuted here in the States at Sundance. It was eligible for all other catagories, which is how it snagged Best Song and Best Adapted Screenplay.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

I recall that credit--that Before Sunset is based on characters created by Krizan and Linklater, but is that an academy rule that all sequels are automatically adapted from the first movie?  Because the rule is "previously published material," but it seems odd to call a sequel an adaptation when it's continuing an original script.

Can anyone else recall a sequel that was nominated for best screenplay that was NOT based on a book or characters from a book?

tpfkabi

i was hoping Knock Yourself Out would get a nod,
but then again,
i have yet to see I Heart Huckabees,
so i don't know how it was used in the film.

i hope Kaufman wins.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Sleuth

Quote from: brockly
Quote from: ThrindleAm I the only one wondering how Thomas Haden Church got nominated, and NOT Paul Giamatti?????

not really......

Quote from: wantautopia?The big travesty is no Giamatti. That is all.
Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.I'm so! fucking! pissed! about this! I fucking hate this shit. They fill Giamatti's nomination with Clint Eastwood. Way to go Academy. The old safety.
Quote from: RegularKarateNo Giamatti is the horsiest horse shit.
Quote from: cowboykurtispaul g really got it up the ass on this one.
Quote from: MyxomatosisI definetly agree about Paul Giamatti

CANCEL ALL ACADEMY AWARDS
I like to hug dogs

nineteenseventyseven

It is comforting that I am not the only one to feel that way. As soon as I read the nominees this morning, I felt the absence of Paul Giamatti. My first impulse was to question this in a big way...enter xixax.com, the place to bitch about movies.
Thomas Haden Church was good, yes, but how could he be nominated before Giamatti?
I waste time.

SHAFTR

Quote from: nineteenseventysevenIt is comforting that I am not the only one to feel that way. As soon as I read the nominees this morning, I felt the absence of Paul Giamatti. My first impulse was to question this in a big way...enter xixax.com, the place to bitch about movies.
Thomas Haden Church was good, yes, but how could he be nominated before Giamatti?

Well, they are in different categories.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Weird. Oh

Is anyone getting extremely annoyed by the constant championing by pundits who know nothing about film, yelling and whining because The Passion of the Christ was not nominated for Best Picture? They need to realize most money doesn't = best movie. I guess I'll just have to put a hammer through my television.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

life_boy

Quote from: Reformed WeirdoIs anyone getting extremely annoyed by the constant championing by pundits who know nothing about film, yelling and whining because The Passion of the Christ was not nominated for Best Picture? They need to realize most money doesn't = best movie.

They also need to realize: February release date ≠ best picture nod.  The Passion did get (what I think is) a deserved nomination for score and cinematography, so it wasn't completely forgotten.  But so much of a film's nomination chances depend on its release date.  I doubt Ray would be nominated for Best Picture if it was released in July or August.

Quote from: Reformed WeirdoI guess I'll just have to put a hammer through my television.

You should have done that a long time ago!

life_boy

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm sorta glad that I don't care who got nominated this year. It's my first year of really not feeling the need to follow the could have and should have's to anger and resentment at the academy.

I'm in the same boat.  I took the whole thing way too seriously in the past.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Reformed WeirdoThey need to realize most money doesn't = best movie.

Make sure the Academy knows that too, otherwise Shrek 2 is going to win for Best animated feature.

Quote from: life_boy
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm sorta glad that I don't care who got nominated this year. It's my first year of really not feeling the need to follow the could have and should have's to anger and resentment at the academy.

I'm in the same boat.  I took the whole thing way too seriously in the past.

Me too.  Even the surprises are predictable now.  I saw Mike Leigh getting Director and Screenplay nominations a mile away.  But to their credit, I don't think anyone saw the Giamatti snub coming.

But I think I'm out of it because I haven't seen most of the nominated films yet.  I liked The Aviator but I haven't had a chance to see any of the other Best Picture nominees.  I was initially excited to see Sideways but now I'm afraid I waited too long and that it won't live up to the hype.  Jamie Foxx impressed me in the trailer for Ray but I missed that one (I'll be renting it next week), my girlfriend has been practically scratching my eyeballs out to see Finding Neverland so I'll see that out soon, I'm sure. And though I like Eastwood, I can't say that I would ever have had any desire to see Million Dollar Baby outside of every critic saying it was the best thing since Sideways.  That "Girlie, tough ain't enough" line in the ads makes me cringe every time.  If it's really that damn good, then someone needs to run the people who did the trailer out of the business.

©brad

:-D
cate, kate, charlie k., jaime times 2, marty, leo
incredibles for writing! (what about editing though? i know it's up for sound editing (whatever the hell that is) but i would imagine editing these animated suckers is quite the challenge)
sideways

:shock: / :elitist:
phantom of the god damn opera for best cinematog (what about collateral and hero, to name a couple)
finding neverland and ray for best picture
blah nominations for score and best song (the latter being the most ridiculous category, IMO)

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: hacksparrowI can't say that I would ever have had any desire to see Million Dollar Baby outside of every critic saying it was the best thing since Sideways.  That "Girlie, tough ain't enough" line in the ads makes me cringe every time.
Same here. The trailer made me sick, and if the movie is really like that, I will continue to have the desire to avoid it like the plague.

cine

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanSame here. The trailer made me sick, and if the movie is really like that, I will continue to have the desire to avoid it like the plague.
your loss, JB.. if you aren't moved by this film, i'd seriously question if you were chemically imbalanced.

SoNowThen

Just to say this out loud:

I pray that Marty doesn't get best director. Because he's much too good to get lumped into this shit-eating Academy Award nonsense. Woody Allen sorta got by on a loophole by not appearing for his, but still... Marty deserves to be in the Kubrick/Welles/Hitchcock/Altman category.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Quote from: SoNowThenJust to say this out loud:

I pray that Marty doesn't get best director. Because he's much too good to get lumped into this shit-eating Academy Award nonsense. Woody Allen sorta got by on a loophole by not appearing for his, but still... Marty deserves to be in the Kubrick/Welles/Hitchcock/Altman category.

Marty wants it, though
I like to hug dogs