Favorite Writers

Started by hedwig, October 11, 2004, 11:20:29 PM

hedwig

novelists, nonfiction, journalists, etc. But no screenwriters, they have their own forum.

My favorite authors include:

Stephen King Because he's cool. His books, most of the time, are entertaining yet also well written and often humorous. My favorite: Carrie

Fran Lebowtiz God, this woman is hilarious. And she needs to get going and write some more damn books! Regardless, Metropolitan Life is a classic, one I've read many times. Such an exquisite wordsmith.

Salinger No explanation required.

And now: it's your turn.

Ghostboy

Virginia Woolf Mrs. Dalloway is something else.

Cormac McCarthy: The Crossing is the one novel I'm dead set on making into a film, and Blood Meridian is a masterpiece of American fiction that on par with the best work by Faulkner.

Graham Greene: If you're ever feeling downtrodden, try reading The End Of The Affair.

Salinger comes next. I haven't read all of Toni Morrison's work, but those that I have (Beloved, Jazz and Sula) I love.

Squeo

John Steinbeck:  The Grapes of Wrath, man, The Grapes of Wrath.

Robert Coover:  Pricksongs and Descants is just the craziest, most beautiful collection of stuff ever.  When I first read this little story, my chest swelled up with awe.

Dave Eggers:  I have an unhealthy obession with McSweeney's, so I obviously am in love with Dave.

Tom Robbins:  Read Even Cowgirls Get The Blues and you will get high off his prose, literally.

T.C. Boyle:  I have this 700 page collection of his short stories, divided into three sections:  Love, Death, And Everything In Between.  Yes.

Saul Bellow:  I've only read Seize The Day, but it was a really great Salinger-esque romp, and I hear that Augie March is one of the best books ever.

Chris Ware:  Okay, more of a comic artist, but Jimmy Corrigan was the first comic I read that made me believe in comics as a true art form.  That book could not have worked as well any other way than how it was presented.  A true artist.  And a design freak.

Thrindle

Margaret Lawrence:  A brilliant Canadian writer.

Ernest Hemmingway: His minimalism is stunning.
Classic.

hedwig

Quote from: GhostboyI haven't read all of Toni Morrison's work, but those that I have (Beloved, Jazz and Sula) I love.

How is Jazz? I'm not going to buy it yet -- I have more unread books than I have ones that I've read. Is this sad?

classical gas

Knut Hamsun, John Fante, Albert Camus, Henry Miller, Bukowksi, Doestoevsky, Celine, Kafka, Kesey, Orwell.

my choices are all boring, i know, but these are the only authors that seem to excite me lately.

cine

Quote from: classical gasKnut Hamsun, John Fante, Albert Camus, Henry Miller, Bukowksi, Doestoevsky, Celine, Kafka, Kesey, Orwell.

my choices are all boring
They are?  :?

classical gas

Ghostboy

Quote from: HedwigHow is Jazz? I'm not going to buy it yet -- I have more unread books than I have ones that I've read. Is this sad?

Not sad at all -- I've only recently come out on top of the books I own, and when it comes to the list of stuff I WANT to read...well, that's just sorta frightening.

Anyway, Jazz is great...like Beloved, but even more experimental in its style. In most respects, it's my favorite of her work, although it ultimately isn't as powerful as Beloved.

Quote from: classical gasKnut Hamsun, John Fante, Albert Camus, Henry Miller, Bukowksi, Doestoevsky, Celine, Kafka, Kesey, Orwell.

Those are awesome (although I don't know Hamsun, Fante, or Celine) picks.

ageyev, apollinaire, aragon, arsan, artaud, azuela, ballard, barthes, bataille, baudelaire, beaulu, beauvoir, bertrand, borges, buida, calvino, celine, char, cocteau, colonna, cortazar, de chirico, de nerval, de sade, dostoevsky, eluard, fuentes, genet, gide, giono, hesse, houllebecq, hrabal, kafka, kis, lautreamont, mahdi, miller, mirbeau, muller, murakami, nin, pavic, paz, quiroga, rabelais, reage, rilke, rimbaud, rousseau, roussel, rulfo, sa-carneiro, sacher-masoch, sartre, schulz, ugresic, walser

cine

you lost me at ageyev.

classical gas

Quote from: Ghostboy

Those are awesome (although I don't know Hamsun, Fante, or Celine) picks.

well, you may not like these, but i suggest for fante, 'ask the dust'; for  hamsun, 'hunger'; and for celine, 'journey to the end of the night'.  the celine novel i can see as being boring to some, maybe; but i think what he wrote about was the problems of simply existing and living and so on, hence the lack of plot.  he wrote some beautiful passages though that still stick with me.  and fante, well, he was just an emotional guy who wrote more beautifully than almost anyone.  you can go to amazon.com and read like the first five pages or so of each.  tell me what you think if you can actually get a hold of these...

Ghostboy

I can borrow Ask The Dust from a friend. I've actually read Bukowski's introduction to it.

pete

playing it safe...
nabokov, gk chesteron, garcia marquez, and hu shih.
modern people--
dave roderick, taiyo matsumoto (he does french/ japanese mangas).
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pedro

Steinbeck because East of Eden is the great american masterpiece we all search for

bukowski, kerouac, ginsberg fill my beat needs