best end credits?

Started by pete, June 28, 2004, 05:50:19 PM

hedwig

SiliasRuby

The Conversation
Almost Famous
and
Any Given Sunday
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Alethia

the naked gun........they include recipes

diggler

i like the end of rules of attraction. how it just cuts van der beek off midsentence. also the credits roll backwards, that was pretty cool.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Eraserhead

I loved the credits at the end of Brazil.  That last shot is amazing.  

Also the credits to all of Woody Allen's movie seem to fit just perfectly.  Black and white with some nice jazz played in the background.  It's pleasant.

MacGuffin

It's a new beginning for movie end credits
Source: Hollywood Reporter

The scene fades to black, the movie is over, and the credits begin to roll. But wait! Don't leave just yet. You might miss some of the great custom-made artwork being cooked up by today's filmmakers.

As several recent movies demonstrate, filmmakers are getting creative with their end credits. They're starting to add a flourish that's akin to an exclamation point at the end of a sentence, giving viewers a reason to stay a bit longer in their seats for a memorable treat.

Zack Snyder's adaptation of cartoonist Frank Miller's "300" used Miller-style drawings, spinning and upending each one into a different credit. Pixar's Brad Bird-directed animated feature "Ratatouille" got all arty with 2-D drawings, while "Superbad" offers a cornucopia of drawing after drawing of penises in a variety of settings. A flag-raising of Iwo Jima by a set of penises? Check. The sinking of Titanic with drowning penises? Sure. Sushi chef penises, Jedi penises? Why the heck not?

Michael Davis' "Shoot 'Em Up," which New Line Cinema releases September 7, also gets fancy with its end credits, which have been described as "James Bond on acid."

"I think it's the equivalent of finishing a show and coming back and doing another number for an encore," Bird says.

Says Davis: "You want people to walk away with a high from the movie because you want them to go tell their friends to see this. They also show filmmakers really cared about the movie by giving it this sort of going-away present of these cared-for credits."

The end credits for "Ratatouille" came about during the design stage of the movie, when the filmmakers discovered drawings done by fresh-from-Cal Arts grad Nate Wragg. Wragg then was paired with Teddy Newton, who designed the credits for Bird's "The Incredibles."

One reason Pixar went with the 2-D credits was practicality. Bird came into the project so late in the process that all computer resources were diverted to making the main movie.

"We certainly didn't have any more bandwidth to do 3-D," producer Brad Lewis says. "We were maxed out. So that was probably a factor."

But the filmmakers loved the style. "We have a bunch of 2-D-trained animators at Pixar, and they were all, 'I'm in!' " Lewis says. "One animator came up to me and said: 'Paper cuts. I've got paper cuts again!' They were thrilled."

Davis used title house Picture Mill to come up with a look that was inspired by Maurice Binder's James Bond opening title sequences as well as those of Saul Bass, the man behind the classic Alfred Hitchcock opening credits.

"Shoot 'Em Up's" end titles hark back to scenes from the movie. Credits in two bullet holes pull back to reveal a pair of breasts, referencing the lactating hooker played by Monica Bellucci. In the movie, Clive Owen creates an oil slick, then slides on it shooting bad guys. In the credits, a person streaks through a patch of blood, wiping in it the name of visual effects supervisor Edward Irastorza.

"What we were able to do was have these call-back jokes that remind people of scenes in the movie," Davis says.

The rise of creative end titles has to do with where the filmmakers come from, he says.

"They are coming from a visual, animation and design background," says Davis, an animator from the stop-motion house Broadcast Arts, which worked on classic MTV logos. "Hopefully there were will more filmmakers like us."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

hmmm, never seen this thread.  The New World is a favorite of mine.

mogwai

i prefer end credits to movies like a clockwork orange. simple and clean. over and out.

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwai on August 23, 2007, 03:17:08 PM
i prefer end credits to movies like a clockwork orange. simple and clean. over and out.

that was normal in those days and earlier. credits started getting ridiculously long in the 80s i think. before then i guess movies were made by 3 guys and saul bass.
under the paving stones.

Whip_pan

A Clockwork Orange  [Singin' In The Rain]
Dr. Strangelove...  [We'll Meet Again]

Juxtaposition is always my favourite. Mixing happy songs with bad situation.

Self-improvement is masturbation.

picolas

Pubrick

the repartee between steve coogan and rob brydon during the end credits of Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story is the most hilarious thing i've seen in ages (and the movie itself is quite funny). i still laugh thinking about it.

i recommend it to all my friends. also the commentary, but that's another thread.
under the paving stones.

pete

"tuscan sunset."

I'd just gotten the alan partridge show from netflix just now, so it's a minor coincidence that you mentioned this other thing that he was in.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

squints

The Fountain and Irreversible (are those end credits?)
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

soixante

I saw Cruising again recently, and the end credits were great.  A punk rock song by Willy Deville over stark end titles.  Perfect way to finish up a very disturbing film.

I like the end credits of Death Proof.  And Dog Day Afternoon -- very stark and simple, no music, just a sense of desolation.  GoodFellas has great end credits, with Sid Vicious doing My Way seguing into Layla by Clapton.  Or McCabe and Mrs. Miller -- an out of focus marble that Mrs. Miller is staring at in an opiate haze.

Kubrick was a master of end credits.  The title cards were cut to the beat of the music, whether Singin' in the Rain or Paint it Black.
Music is your best entertainment value.