worst theater experience.

Started by NEON MERCURY, February 23, 2004, 10:12:38 PM

NEON MERCURY

.....if this has been  done before which  ....i actaully did a serch..lately......i  been doing that more......but when i did the search i typed in "worst theater experience"....and then i clicked the second option......but the only thing that came close was about annoying people sans theater......so  if this has been done before and i didn't search properly and there is a thread about this.....i wish to be redirected......and do it tasty...........

okay......mines would have to be ...................return of the king ..... i went to see it w/ some people .... i have seen it before so  the people who went w/ me were first time viewers....so  we get in  and sit  about 1/4 the way back from the front....in the middle......so we star watching the film ....and i  hear talking....followed by  slurping...followed by  laughing then   kicking my seat then ....someone brought in a "'value size" of plain potato chips and started to slobber on them and they made that sound ....that sound of the bag crinkling....it made me mad....it made the other people mad who i was with ......i'm sure it even made the other poeple that are not my friends mad......so that sucked......i really hate watcvhing pg-13 films....in a theatre......do you have any  experiences that you would like to share w/ the rest of the group.....or should i just phuck off.......?

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURY.....if this has been  done before
i have a story in this thread: http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3798
cheese sandwich page 4 halfway down.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

when i saw return of the king, everyone in the theater started to talk towards the end out of restlestness...angering, but so many were doing it i had to just try and block it out.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02

......damn that really is the worst......i read tyhat putting myself in your shoes......that sucks.......rather tasty....

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: themodernage02

......damn that really is the worst......i read tyhat putting myself in your shoes......that sucks.......rather tasty....
yeah i didnt want to re-read/re-visit that story, but to follow-up since that day i have not been ONCE to any theatre inside of the philadelphia area to see any mainstream movie.  i can only go to the arthouse.  this is my curse.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Everytime I go to a theater it is the worst experience of my life. If someone wants to pay me $10 they can come over and ill put on a movie and they can talk through it, let their baby cry, talk on their cell phone. I dont' care.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02i can only go to the arthouse.  this is my curse.

it could be a gift  though....

a possible wild at heart /the thin red line double feature....... :wink:

ono

Quote from: themodernage02i can only go to the arthouse.  this is my curse.
Sounds like a blessing to me.  My worst theatre experience is rather marginal compared to yours.  Just some annoying teenagers gabbing on their phones and to each other during Chicago.  In the past year and a half, though, I've only been to mainstream type cineplexes for a few select movies.  Umm... A Beautiful Mind, Vanilla Sky, Orange County, The Royal Tenenbaums, Minority Report, Red Dragon, The Rules of Attraction, Austin Powers in Goldmember, The Master of Disguise, Chicago, About Schmidt, Matrix Reloaded, Finding Nemo, and Scary Movie 3 are the ones I remember - going to a multiplex seems to be so indelible that yeah, I remember what I've seen there for the most part, and not because of the quality most of the time.

Kill Bill played at one of the three arthouses in my town, and that was fine by me (though it's hardly an indie film -- hehe).  That selection of films seen in theatres pales in quality and quantity to the many I've seen in arthouses.  And the atmosphere is so nice.  Especially the matinees, which reminds me: if you MUST go to the multiplexes to see movies, go for the matinees, preferably during the week.  If you can't get off work, I'd imagine Sundays are your best bet.  They're cheaper, and not as many people will be there.

cowboykurtis

when i saw gladiator a woman had an epileptic seizure -- house lights went up -- gurney rolls in -- money refunded -- experience soured.
...your excuses are your own...

puddnanners

i once drove a couple of hours to see The Royal Tenenbaums (my town wouldn't get it until a few weeks later).  The trip started out bad because I thought just my friend and I were going, but he ended up bringing his girlfriend who is a beast.  After the flick ended, I started driving home, but made a wrong turn, and pulled into an alley to turn around.  I slid on some ice, hit a curb, and bent my front axle, laving my car undrivable.  After desperately trying to think of something, i came to terms with the fact that i would have to call my step father who has a towing device thing to drive the two plus hours at midnight (we saw the late show) with lots of ice on the road to come pick me up.  It was a terrible experience, but at least the movie was good.  The ironic part of the story is that i was so pissed off that my friend brought his girlfriend, but it turned out that we needed her because she was the only one with a cell phone.  The total price of that movie ended up being about $507.50 with the price of gas, the movie ticket and the car repairs.

mogwai

worst experience? an idiot sitting behind me chewing candy with his mouth open about two hours or more during "return of the king". the quiet moments of the movie were the hardest. i mean, you can't turn around and say "please, shut the fuck up!" or something. you never know if he'll turn aggro on you.

grand theft sparrow

I went to see what I thought was a remastered print of The Godfather at Cornell University in 97.  It was the same month that that 25th anniversary print was released, right before the THX VHS box set came out, and Cornell is usually good about getting decent prints of films.

Not this time.  This print must have been one of the first ones struck in 1972.  It had 25 years of cut frames and all sorts of problems with it; it was like Tyler Durden got his hands on it.  

The projector stopped twice, each time for at least 5 minutes, and what made matters worse was that during almost the entire sequence when Pacino is in Sicily, the framing was off and the subtitles were below the bottom of the screen.  Several people complained and it wasn't until almost the end of that sequence that the picture was re-framed and we could read the subtitles.

I was there with a friend who had never seen it before and was very disappointed.  I kept having to reassure him that it was a much better movie when intact.

Raikus

The damn lady who would applaud wildly anytime something remotely religious was mentioned in X2.

Towards the end half the audience was yelling "Shut up!" or "Stop it!" after every outburst.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Vile5

it was the second time i went to watch Mulholland Drive, a fucking idiot man sat down next to me and my best friend, and you know, he started to make stupid questions to his wife but almost shouting, "and where is she now?", "but she is dead or alive?", "why is she crying?", "that guy is falling in love with the blonde one or with the other one?", "look at! the old woman was his mother!"....
you have no idea how i had to control my self to not kill him, i just told him something like PLEASE, let us watch the movie in piece sir! (and i was sooo polite, believe me) his wife felt bad, but i didn't care at that moment...
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

SHAFTR

Quote from: Vile5i just told him something like PLEASE, let us watch the movie in piece sir! ...

I'd rather see the movie in full.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"