Best Horror Movies

Started by Jake_82, November 24, 2003, 09:03:28 PM

Gamblour.

Mac, do not question Bruce Dickinson. When I say great movie, it's got its moments of horrorsuck. But like polka said, there's some stuff that is really truly terrifying.

Mod, no I have not seen it, but I should! Bill Paxton....man that game show, what a ridiculous thing to say I've been on one. I still never saw any of the other episodes, except that fat NY guy who obviously won it was all over the commercials.
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

I still don't get which of the horror threads this should go in, but here's:

RK'S TOTAL RIPOFF OF MOD'S HORROR MARATHON

Mod gave me permission to do this one:

CANDYMAN
"The pain, I can assure you, will be exquisite"

This is one of my all time favorite horror films.  Philip Glass score provides a perfect mood for the best of the Clive Barker adaptations.  

The Ring borrows a lot from this movie... the overhead driving shots, the urban legend come to life, and the female lead investigating the truth.  The difference of course, is that Candyman did it ten years before The Ring.

We get Virginia Madsen in an eyelit trance ala Dracula and Tony Todd's hypnotically evil voice along with the threat of being cut "from groin to gullet".  Who could ask for more?

I don't have any spooky halloween themed skulls with me, but I'll give this one eight out of ten bloody hooks.  You'll have to imagine the hooks.

modage

From Dusk 'Till Dawn (1996)
"They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are."

WHATS IT ABOUT? In this Tarantino-Rodriguez collaboration, what starts out as a film about a pair of outlaw brothers trying to get into Mexico takes a sharp (not to mention controversial) twist into a full-fledged vampire movie.

IS IT SCARY? No, and unfortunately it would be a lot better if it were.  Though the makeup effects are great, (the film is practically a showcase for Greg Nicotero's KNB Makeup EFX), the film doesn't slow down enough in the final hour to build any suspense.        

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? The deaths are gory and creative, the dialogue crackles with Tarantino spark, and George Clooney is one of the all-time badasses as Seth Gecko.

SCARIEST MOMENT: n/a But when Scott says "Kill me, Kate", it has always really disturbed me.

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because it's a time capsule of 1996: back when Tarantino ruled the world (and actually spent his time making films).  Rodriguez, who shows remarkable restraint in the first hour, creates probably the best non-Tarantino Tarantino film of the mid-nineties. And George Clooney was a TV star who had no loftier goals than starring in a cool movie about vampires in a Mexican strip club.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
"Dude, that goalie was pissed about something."

WHATS IT ABOUT? In the tradition of monster team-up's of the past (Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, King Kong vs. Godzilla), Freddy vs. Jason turns over a decade of fanboy dreams into a reality by pitting these horror icons against each other.

IS IT SCARY? No, Freddy and Jason are the focus here and by now you're rooting for them.          

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? It acknowledges both series faults while it indulges in them and still ends up being probably the 3rd best film from EITHER series.  Though the exposition does get a little thick trying to get these two together, it's a thrill to see it finally happen.  Just to hear the theme's of these two franchises alongside each other, especially after years of rumors and waiting, it's nice to see a team-up of this magnitude finally see the light of day (and not totally suck).  

SCARIEST MOMENT: n/a

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because it takes the highlights from 17 films and distills it to 90 minutes of fun.  

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
"She lives beyond the grace of God, a wanderer in the outer darkness. She is "vampyr", "nosferatu"."

WHATS IT ABOUT? Francis Ford Coppola's adaptation of the classic Bram Stoker novel is the most faithful and probably best version of the story ever filmed adding layers of love and eroticism not seen in any previous versions.

IS IT SCARY? Yes.  Thanks to an astoundingly good performance by Gary Oldman as Dracula, which is so good, it's scary.          

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? Coppola's use of old school camera's and special effects techniques give the film a wonderfully offbeat quality.  The entire cast (sans Reeves who sticks out like a sore thumb), and especially Oldman and Hopkins are fantastic.  The score is epic and creepy.  And finally, the cutaway after Mina asks Van Helsing how Lucy died is simply priceless.  

SCARIEST MOMENT: The shaving scene.  

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because after a decade of hit-and-miss, Coppola returns to fine form with this definitive version of Bram Stoker's classic legend.

polkablues

Quote from: modageFreddy vs. Jason

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT?

My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage
Bram Stoker's Dracula

That's one skull taken off for Keanu's acting, right?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

modage

Phantasm (1979)
"You play a good game boy, but the game is finished, now you die."

WHATS IT ABOUT? Don Coscarelli, (who would later make the cult hit Bubba HoTep), first made a name for himself with this completely original 1979 film about a mysterious Tall Man and his funeral parlor.

IS IT SCARY? Not really, though it may seem dated while you're watching it, some of the ideas might stick with you. Very eerie.          

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? It's hugely original.  Angus Scrimm is classic as the Tall Man.  The 'ball' is an unforgettable device as well.  It has a good memorable score.  Because of it's limited budget (around $300,000), you have to forgive certain shortcomings in acting etc. and admire the story and the atmosphere Coscarelli creates.    

SCARIEST MOMENT: The ending.  

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because it's a great example of independent filmmaking making a lasting cult hit.  While I wont recommend this to anyone not already invested in the genre (WALRUS, YOU WILL NOT LIKE THIS MOVIE), I think any self-respecting horror fan should've seen this by now, BOY!

MacGuffin

Somewhere, Mr. Xixax is having himself a major orgasm at this film's mention, but wouldn't agree with the rating.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Figure 8

Quote from: modagePhantasm (1979)
I actually just watched this the other day and couldn't stand it.  I think it was just too corny for me to take it seriously and by the end I couldn't believe I sat through the whole thing.

Fernando

For New Yorkers Only.

Stanley Kubrick fans and historians will get a chance to see the one of his finest films Saturday, October 22. The beautiful Lafayette Theater in Suffern, New York will present uncut, THE SHINING, starring Jack Nicholson and Shelly Duval in glorious 35mm.

The Lafayette Theatre, built in 1924 and beautifully restored just recently by the Galaxy Theatre Corporation, has been heralded by USA TODAY as one of the "ten great theaters to revel in cinematic pleasure". One of the last great theaters following the time-honored tradition of showmanship, the Lafayette showcases weekly classic film events as well as first-run films.

And that's just one show in their spectacular HORROR-THON weekend,
which also includes new 35mm prints of SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, BRIDES OF DRACULA, HOUSE OF WAX (in 3-D!), THE EXORCIST, and two extra special events: the gala premiere of SPOOKTACULAR - featuring NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD with rare horror trailers, and the classic 1927 version of THE CAT AND THE CANARY, presented with live musical accompaniment by Jeff Barker on the Lafayette's fabulous Wurlitzer organ!

For full program details, please visit their website at:

http://www.bigscreenclassics.com/horrorthon.htm

modage

Suspiria (1977)
"Susie, do you know anything about... witches?"

WHATS IT ABOUT? Italian horror master Dario Argento's film about a ballet school that may actually be a coven of witches.

IS IT SCARY? Yes.  If you are not put off by the dubbing (or acting for that matter) and give yourself over to the movie, there are definitely scares to be had.          

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? While the plot is a bit unintelligible, the atmosphere is incredible.  What Argento achieves with the lighting, music and set design makes up a surrealistic nightmare unlike any film I had ever seen before.    

SCARIEST MOMENT: The first death which Entertainment Weekly calls "the most vicious murder scene ever filmed."

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because if you've never seen an Italian horror film before, you've never seen anything like Suspiria.  And because John Carpenter called it the scariest movie he's ever seen.

Gamblour.

Four skulls is about right. I fell asleep during this bad boy.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: modage

The funny thing about that tagline is that it basically tells you that the ending sucks.