Spike Jonze Vs Spike Lee

Started by Steve McQueen's ghost, October 04, 2003, 03:26:35 PM

Ernie

I think Jonze has done a lot better in the 4 years that he's been making feature films than Lee has in his whole career...not even considering the stuff Spike Jonze did before that. When you do factor in Jonze's brilliant pre-feature filmography (his music videos), it makes it even more embarassing.

Jungle Fever, Do the Right Thing, and 25th Hour are Spike Lee's only good films imo...so far I mean. And I'll admit, I haven't seen them all. I have yet to see Bamboozled, Girl 6, Crooklyn, and some others.

NEON MERCURY

..spike jonze..he's 2 for 2

and he is not that bad of an actor...

oakmanc234

I think its racist of Lee to call Tarantino a racist for using the term nigga repeatedly in a film when he uses it in films HEAPS. So its okay for a black film maker to use that term but not for a white one? Bullshit.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteI think its racist of Lee to call Tarantino a racist for using the term nigga repeatedly in a film when he uses it in films HEAPS. So its okay for a black film maker to use that term but not for a white one? Bullshit.

Totally agree. Actually, I think it's a shame for Spike to make such ridiculous statements. Lucky for us that he doesn't pass that kind of ideias into his films. I mean, he does make films about racism, but usually in his films, he tries to explain it and tries to show howstupid the whole racism thing is. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to do thesame whenever he does an interview.
Si

Redlum

Its pretty hard to refine something on the spot when you feel so passionate about it. Lee can be just as critical of himself about racism. On the Criterion of Do the Right Thing he mentions how in some of his films he has aided in perpetuating certain racial stereotypes.

J comes before L in the alphabet, so I'd have to go with Jonze. Next -Keaton or Chaplin....
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Newtron

Spike Jonze took a shit today, and it was beautiful.

Cecil

Quote from: oakmanc234I think its racist of Lee to call Tarantino a racist for using the term nigga repeatedly in a film when he uses it in films HEAPS. So its okay for a black film maker to use that term but not for a white one? Bullshit.

it isnt racist of him, just hypocritical of him

Ravi

Quote from: ebeaman
Jungle Fever, Do the Right Thing, and 25th Hour are Spike Lee's only good films imo...so far I mean. And I'll admit, I haven't seen them all. I have yet to see Bamboozled, Girl 6, Crooklyn, and some others.

Crooklyn and Get on the Bus were good.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: ebeaman

Crooklyn and Get on the Bus were good.

Malcolm X
4 Little Girls
and Summer of Sam, while by no means a perfect film, is better than most of the dreck that gets released these days

I'm a Spike Lee fan, for sure.

aclockworkjj

I like a gang of Lee films too realize.

Like:
Mo Better, Right Thing, X, 25th Hour, and Summer of Sam (which I felt was underrated)...shit I even liked He Got Game (Ray Allen is muy boy!!).

I just wish he would just "be a filmmaker".

©brad

um, why r we comparing these two, cuz they're both named spike? stupit.

to deny lee's contribution not only to african american cinema but to american cinema itself is even stupider.

and perhaps the stupidest thing yet:
Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostThe winnah and champeen.......Spike Jonze! I find Lee's films whiney and preachy. I also thought he was very bitchy about how many times Sam Jackson used the word "nigger" in Jackie Brown. He implied that QT was a racist. Hmmm, that would make SL not only preachy, whiney and bitchy, but stupid as well! QT is not a racist.  Spike Jonze gave us Being John Malkovich!!!!! I love that flick!!!! John Cusack rules!!!

Stefen

Wow, I missed this thread all this time. I got some things to say on it.

Spike Lee is light years ahead of Spike Jonze. Spike Lee is aware of his surroundings and political/social issues, which in turn makes him a great filmmaker seeing as how most of those things are involved in his films. Spike Jonze is the nerdy kid in class with the video camera who would get on your nerves but then made some awesome music videos and commercials, then hooked up with a good writer and made a couple good movies, where the writing was the strong point. Spike Lee did the same thing early on with Public Enemy and the Nike Air Jordan commercials. Each of them are the same for more than one reason, of course one reason is the name, but another is they each have their finger on a pulse. Spike Lee with political/racial/social issues and Spike Jonze with the ever so awesome Paris Hilton like whats hot at the moment. Spike Lee will make you laugh, cry, puke, shit, but most of all, think. Spike Jonze will make you happy that you are young. That's about it really. I'll take Spike Lee for his fantastic work on Crooklyn, Do The Right Thing, Summer Of Sam (underrated as fuck) and the 25th hour. Spike Jonze is good, but he's a wee tyke trying to play with the big boys in this topic. Spike Jonze exudes creativity, and Spike Lee exudes emotion, the thing is, Spike Lee can exude all the same things Spike Jonze can, and he can do it in a way that is relevant, as oppose to shits and giggles. Spike Lee is the meat while Spike Jonze is the potatoes.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cowboykurtis

this thread doesn't have anything to do with anything

however, while we're on the subject of racism. I find it interesting that spike lee is directing material from james ellroy, who I believe is pretty open about his racism towards african americans.
...your excuses are your own...