Too Many Ads!

Started by filmcritic, September 14, 2003, 01:06:04 AM

modage

Film fans can expect more advertising on big screen
Moviegoers should get used to those ads shown as they settle into their seats.
Source: USA TODAY

Ad forecasters at ZenithOptimedia said on Monday that spending on in-theater ads, usually shown before the trailers, rose by 18% this year to $400 million — and likely will go up by about 15% each year through 2008.

Driving growth is digital projection that makes it easy to change ads or target ads to different audiences, says Tim Jones, CEO of ZenithOptimedia's U.S. operations. "That's directly attributable to the medium becoming more digital. It gives advertisers more options and affordability from a production standpoint."

The forecast was good news for theater owners depressed by the 6% slide in box office receipts this year. To attract more ads, they've spent about $150 million in the last three years to install relatively simple digital projectors just for ads. That's ahead of the much larger investment just beginning for full digital conversion to movie-quality projectors.

Regal Entertainment (RGC) has led the charge, installing digital ad gear at about 5,000 of its more than 6,500 screens in 2002 and 2003.

The ad effort picked up steam in July when AMC Theaters — the No. 2 chain (and about to merge with Loews Cineplex) joined Regal to form ad sales company National CineMedia.

Cinemark, the No. 3 chain, joins next month. "By the second quarter of 2006, we'll have about 10,000 digital ad screens," about 28% of the national total, says Cliff Marks, National CineMedia chief marketing officer.

The typical 20-minute ad package so far looks a lot like TV. Before the trailers, Regal runs a show of ads interspersed with snippets of content about the movies called The Twenty. In January, it will be renamed First Look, and go to all National CineMedia theaters.

The digital transition is attracting more big advertisers — national companies buy 75% of theater ads, Marks says. For example, Wal-Mart just made its first theater ad buy for 10,000 Regal and AMC screens.

For the patron in the seats, big advertisers at least bring bigger ad budgets — and that might lead to higher-quality ads and more experimentation, such as the mini-movie ads some have produced for the Web. And it's unlikely time devoted to pre-show ads will get much longer, since it's already about as long as practical without cutting the number of movie showings.

But not everyone is cheering.

"I detest having to go to a theater and sit through 20 minutes of advertising," says Robert Bucksbaum, who's president of industry research firm ReelSource — and owns two theaters that don't show commercials. "But it's definitely the wave of the future."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Anonymous Joe

Great... I already cringe at the Fandango puppets.

72teeth

and that asshole with all the impersonations, and those fuckin filmmakers and their stupid documentary...fuck them...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

polkablues

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with commercials before movies if it didn't have to be the same four fucking commercials every single time I go to the theater!!!  At least they've finally stopped with the "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Coke ad in which people make asses out of themselves in slow-motion for what feels like ten minutes.
My house, my rules, my coffee

I Love a Magician

For what seemed like six months I saw the trailer for Domino every time I went to the theatre. After a while I had to go outside and wait out the trailers and ads. You can only see the Domino, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Family Stone trailers so many times. The trailer for The Family Stone. My god. The worst thing ever.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: I Love a Magician on December 10, 2005, 03:50:50 AMThe trailer for The Family Stone. My god. The worst thing ever.

Until the movie comes out.  But brunette McAdams in glasses makes my nature rise.

polkablues

Quote from: hacksparrow on December 12, 2005, 12:18:39 PM
Quote from: I Love a Magician on December 10, 2005, 03:50:50 AMThe trailer for The Family Stone. My god. The worst thing ever.

Until the movie comes out.  But brunette McAdams in glasses makes my nature rise.

Every time I see that trailer I think the same thing: it looks like Rachel McAdams is in a much better movie than the rest of the actors.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

yeah she mesmerizes me everytime i see it too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

Quote from: Ravi on May 05, 2005, 12:29:43 AM
How do arthouse theaters manage to run movies without ads?  Their ticket prices aren't any more expensive.  Is it because they have fewer screens?

well, there are different types of non-mainstream theaters.  there are indie theaters like landmark and selected loews that don't charge any less than most movie theaters and (barely) survive by playing pretty much the same corporate game but catering only to the rich snobby city people.  then there are "arthouse" theaters that play revival shows and older films and "true" limited releases--ie. films without distributors that just tour from arthouse theater to arthouse theater.  those theaters are generally non-profits and survive the way a small museum or PBS would, through pledges from the patrons and corporate sponsors and funds.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

i was at a showcase cinemas seeing syrianna and they skipped previews.  i was pumped.  i think it was a mistake. 

ddmarfield

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 13, 2005, 08:06:02 PM
i was at a showcase cinemas seeing syrianna and they skipped previews.

It put a sad irony on Syrianna when it was preceeded by 20 minutes of commercials. Nothing gets you ready for an examination of corporate America like the adorable Coke Polar Bears.

On a random note, how come the effects in that Coke ad look better than anything in the Star Wars prequels? Just a thought.
"The girls around here all look like Cadillacs" -- Tom Waits

pete

any sadder or more ironic than the movie syriana, a critical look about American greed, is funded by American greed starring greedy Americans to be shown to make money for American corporations and to be viewed by Americans spending money to fuel the whole system?  some people probably needed to drive to see the movie, which meant they probably needed to pay for gas!  sad ironies!

I think the real sad irony would be if your teeth are made of popcorn and when you goto a movie theater they'll serve you bags teeth with butter, and when you chew them, your popcorn teeth fall off.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Cingular has Pollack ads on the line

NEW YORK -- Sydney Pollack is coming to a theater near you today. The veteran thespian-turned-director is helming and starring in the first commercial of his 40-year career, an in-theater spot for Cingular reminding people to keep their cell phones off at the movies. "Cliche" will be shown before films on about 7,500 screens in Regal Cinemas (including United Artists Theatres and Edwards Theatres) and AMC Loews theaters around the country. Pollack plays himself, a director who interrupts a very personal call in someone's home.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

One of the theaters I go to recently started showing video promos and ads instead of the usual slide show.  So the assault is even more relentless.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ravi on June 30, 2006, 02:07:12 PM
One of the theaters I go to recently started showing video promos and ads instead of the usual slide show.  So the assault is even more relentless.

Huh...  They've been doing that for years here...  where do you live?