Top 10 UNDERRATED movies EVER!

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, September 03, 2003, 02:56:39 AM

Ernie

Quote from: AKBringing out the dead
Jackie Brown
Fear and Loathing in LV
Punch Drunk Love
PI

wish more (and more)ppl had watched, understood and liked them.

LOVED - Bringing Out the Dead, PDL, Jackie Brown

HATED - Fear and Loathing, Pi

I wanna buy Bring Out the Dead so bad. That is a great movie. So so good.

Sanjuro

yeah i didnt think fear and loathing in las vegas was as good as the book
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Ernie

Quote from: Sanjuroyeah i didnt think fear and loathing in las vegas was as good as the book

It's so annoying. Maybe the most annoying movie ever. And it's too bad cause the characters are kinda cool and there are some would-be funny parts. Johnny Depp was great though, I'll admit. I couldn't believe how well he potrayed Hunter.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: pookiethecat
Quote from: ewardi didnt really like PI either.

me neither.  i think aronofosky is wildly overrated.  his films create a disturbing, depraved mood but they don't actually say anything original.  i thought requiem for a dream was powerful but it didn't really challenge my thoughts on drugs or drug use or present interesting characters that i could genuinely care about.  Pi had a few very effective scenes but again, it seemed more an exercise in mood and style than story and characters.

...... :?
..i feel quite the opposite w/ you on this..::thinking::..um.....well i think he is original in his style..NOBODY HAS EVER (THAT I HAVE SEEN) PRESENTED HIS  FILMS IN THIS WAY/STYLE/FORM...you "may" be right in terms of "orinal story or character developement"..but I think he uses his visual style to hammer his points home rather than broad character dialouge..which is orinal and effective..original b/c he is one of few who are very visual but not for show..

and effective becuse you feel awkrward after viewing his filmss......

pookiethecat

Quote from: NEON MERCURYI think he uses his visual style to hammer his points home rather than broad character dialouge..which is orinal and effective..original b/c he is one of few who are very visual but not for show..

the film never showed you the humanity of these characters.  thus when they reacted to such extremes, it seemed unrealistic.  i couldn't identify with these boring cardboard characters, so when they went ape shit, instead of "this could be you" it alienated me.    

i also never felt that the way he went about showing each character's demise according to their obvious exterior was lame and predictable.  ellen burnstyn character=fat (going nuts on diet pills) jennifer connelly character= sexually attractive (prostitution) marlon wayans=black (gets beat up by racists while in jail).    

Quoteand effective becuse you feel awkrward after viewing his filmss......

if his sole effect is making the audience feel awkward and uneasy, then you're right, he succeeds.  the question is: Is that enough?  Provoking feelings of uneasiness is not the same thing as provoking genuine thought.  aronofsky has struck me as a much better mood-setter than a storytelling.  i think he is amazingly talented, but he hasn't really shaped it into something truly impressive YET.
i wanna lick 'em.

Sanjuro

i also thought requiem was unrealistic but the filmmaking and performances (especially ellen burstyn) was just incredible.

how do you quote what someone said??

Find Your Magali

Sanjuro, a very wise Jedi once told me to "hit the quote button" ... seek this button out.

Burstyn is great. ...

I picked up Requiem recently but haven't watched it yet. (i know, i know, some you are hissing at me now, but this is Whiskey Mags talking)

My favorite Burstyn thing is one of my favorite guilty pleasures of all time "Same Time, Next Year"

I DEFY anyone to watch this all the way through and not get teary.*

*--Whiskey Mags is not entirely sure that "teary" is a word

Sanjuro

Quote from: Find Your MagaliSanjuro, a very wise Jedi once told me to "hit the quote button" ... seek this button out.

thanks. right in front of my face hahha
now i think i got it right this time... took me a while to figure out

Alethia

Quote from: NEON MERCURYwell i think he is original in his style..NOBODY HAS EVER (THAT I HAVE SEEN) PRESENTED HIS  FILMS IN THIS WAY/STYLE/FORM...you "may" be right in terms of "original story or character developement"..but I think he uses his visual style to hammer his points home rather than broad character dialouge..which is original and effective..original b/c he is one of few who are very visual but not for show..

oliver stone.

ElPandaRoyal

Speaking of Oliver Stone, I think U-Turn was underrated (I don' know if anyone mentioned it before, but I just could not read every page of this thread...
Si

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

i think Boondock Saints was way underrated and that people bash on it too much.  

then again, I also liked Fear and Loathing.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

***beady***

Thats true, a lot of people here didn't like 'Fear and Loathing' that much. Whereas I absolutely loved it. I think these things are called opinions... don't ya just love 'em?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: ***beady***Thats true, a lot of people here didn't like 'Fear and Loathing' that much. Whereas I absolutely loved it. I think these things are called opinions... don't ya just love 'em?

Hitler hates opinions.  But damn he loves to dance.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: jasper_windowBoiler Room (where the fuck is Ben Younger these days)

It's Prime Time for Sandra Bullock & Meryl Streep
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Sandra Bullock and Meryl Streep will star in Ben Younger's feature film Prime, which is not related to the Marvel comic of the same name.

The romantic comedy is a New York-set story that centers around the emotion and humor that ensues when a 22-year-old painter from Brooklyn falls in love with a 37-year-old career woman (Bullock) from the Upper East Side. Streep is attached to play the Bullock character's therapist. The part of the young male painter has yet to be cast.

Younger will direct from his own script.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

travisbickle1000

"jesus' son"--actually this probably wouldnt fall under the category 'underrated' but more like 'barely viewed'

'teenage mutant ninja turtles'-- the first one of course, i love this movie maybe even more than when i was a kid. its dark, its funny and for a kids movie its characters have a pretty tremendous amount of depth