MPAA Ratings

Started by filmcritic, June 28, 2003, 12:41:52 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: filmcriticAs far as ratings are concerned, I can understand why some movies would get the R rating. For example, "Gangs of New York", "The Exorcist", "Eyes Wide Shut", "In the Bedroom" and so on are all movies that are understandably for adults only (besides most kids won't be interested anyway). But films like "The Last Temptation of Christ" (which was a film that everyone should have seen and not just adults), "Blue Car", "Schindler's List" and many others were very important movies that teens should see just as much as adults.

But the R rating doesn't stop kids from seeing these films, only from seeing them alone. They must be accompianed by a parent of guardian. It's up to the parents to moderate what their kids watch and decide if that film is for their kids. I remember NBC showed "Schindler's List" on TV in it's entirety because they too felt it was important enough for all ages to witness. But it was preceeded with Parental Suggestions. R rating is the same thing.

Quote from: filmcriticThe MPAA also stops filmmakers from making the movies they want. Kubrick couldn't make "Clockwork Orange" and "Eyes Wide Shut" the way he wanted because they were going to give them X or NC-17 ratings. Anderson had troubled with them on "Boogie Nights". Many other filmmakers have ran into trouble with the MPAA. There is a difference between stopping children from seeing the movies and stopping the filmmakers from making them.

Actually, the MPAA doesn't stop the filmmakers from making the movies they want. That would be censorship. It's more the theaters fault. Filmmakers can make any movie they want. It's only the MPAA's job to assign it a rating, and not to tell the filmmakers what and how much to cut. But the majority of theaters will not show an NC-17 rated film. So, unless you want to have your movie shown in a wide release of theaters, or try to get bigger box office by making certain edits to get a PG-13, you can release the most sexually explict, overly violent movie you want. Or you can just go Unrated and take your chances.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

filmcritic

Yes, that's true. I just meant that they do put filmmakers in the position of taking out certain things in the movie for it to get the R rating and be released everywhere. Directors do not want the film to get an NC-17 because it's the kiss of death. And there are certain movies that shouldn't have gotten the ratings they did. Most parents won't allow their kids to see the R rated movies simply because they are rated R regardless of the reasons. But teens should see these certain movies with or without an adult. They are still important.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Pwaybloe

Quote from: filmcritic...And there are certain movies that shouldn't have gotten the ratings they did. Most parents won't allow their kids to see the R rated movies simply because they are rated R regardless of the reasons. But teens should see these certain movies with or without an adult. They are still important.

That's (usually) the intention of websites like screenit.com.  They allow parents to see reports of violence, sex, cursing, etc.  that are in the movie.  It's more of a factual analysis than an opinionated one.  If the parents think the content is ok, then they should allow thier kids to see it.

Yeah, there are those parents that are extremely overprotective parents that will only allow G rated movies in the house, but I think you know as well as I do that it's causing more harm than good.

filmcritic

Yeah, I've heard of that website before. It's suppose to be very detailed.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Ravi

Parents don't want to actually take the time to research whether a movie is appropriate for their child, so they blindly trust some ratings system.  If it says it isn't appropriate for children under 17 to see it alone, their kid can't see it, no matter whether it has just one f-word over the limit or tons of violence.  Gosford Park doesn't have the same content as Pulp Fiction, yet both have the same label.

filmcritic

There's something I don't understand here, maybe someone can help me. "In the Company of Men" is rated R for language and emotional abuse. What do they mean by "emotional abuse"? From what I could gather from the film, there was nothing emotionally abusive enough to get the R rating.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Pubrick

Quote from: filmcriticThere's something I don't understand here, maybe someone can help me. "In the Company of Men" is rated R for language and emotional abuse. What do they mean by "emotional abuse"? From what I could gather from the film, there was nothing emotionally abusive enough to get the R rating.
my understanding is that just because sumthing is rated R, and there are things listed, it doesn't mean everything that is listed is up to an R level. for example they might hav a 30second nipple shot, which is very mild nudity and they will be saying CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT all throughout the movie, that would be R for language and nudity.

so u see, filmcritic, the emotional abuse was against women and deaf ppl, it might not be extreme like stabbing every audience's heart, but it's still there.. along with language. the problem ur dumb censors hav, which makes ours less dumb, is that u don't hav anything between R and pg-13. we hav G, PG, M, MA, and R which is equivalent to ur NC-17.  our M takes care of all the bullshit that isn't bad enuff for ur R but a little too much for kiddies.

explaining is fun.
under the paving stones.

filmcritic

Well, perhaps the MPAA should just list the things that are the most extreme or the worst things in the movie, stick with that, and forget the rest. For example, if a film shows a woman's nipple and has lots of language, then it should be rated R for language.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

cinemanarchist

Did anyone see that they were showing South Park:Bigger, Longer, and Uncut in its entirety on Comedy Central? If it is possible to do this, why are there any decency standards on TV? At this point are they just self- imposed by the networks and advertisers? I think it's great...I would guess that in another 10 years, maybe less, there will be no limits as to what can be shown on network tv.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

filmcritic

Yes, that might be the case. "Schindler's List" was uncut on TV a couple of years ago. Movies on USA are becoming uncut as time goes on.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Ravi

Hitler Wore Khakis, hahaha.  Someone I knew in high school had this on her binder.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Pthe problem ur dumb censors hav, which makes ours less dumb, is that u don't hav anything between R and pg-13. we hav G, PG, M, MA, and R which is equivalent to ur NC-17.  our M takes care of all the bullshit that isn't bad enuff for ur R but a little too much for kiddies.

explaining is fun.

yes, but at least our dumb censor system doesn't ban movies entirely.

Quote from: imdbMovie Raided in Australia

A screening of director Larry Clark's controversial film Ken Park, which contains graphic sexual scenes involving teen characters, was raided in Sydney, Australia Thursday night, where the film has been officially banned by the country's Office of Film and Literature Censorship. The screening, attended by about 500 persons including David Stratton, Australia's premier film critic, had been arranged by a group called Free Cinema. In a radio interview, Stratton said today (Friday): "I think what [the screening] was all about was raising consciousness of the fact that in Australia in the year 2003 we are still banning films that are being screened everywhere else in the world, including New Zealand." Of Ken Park, Stratton remarked: "It is an explicit film, it is a confronting film, but I think it's a film that certainly deserves to be seen by an adult audience." Meanwhile, James Hewison, director of the Melbourne International Film Festival, said today that he intends to continue to lobby the government for permission to show the film at this year's festival set to open on July 23.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pubrick

yeah, i know, that sucks. but no biggie, by the time sum of those obscure movies are released here i can buy the DVD from overseas.
under the paving stones.

Victor

Quote from: cinemanarchistDid anyone see that they were showing South Park:Bigger, Longer, and Uncut in its entirety on Comedy Central?

SHEILA BROSLOFSKI: Just remember what the MPAA says -- Deplorably graphic violence is okay, just as long as we dont use any naughty words!

I love this movie, its one giant slam against the MPAA and american censorship. after trey parkers movie Orgazmo got an NC-17, he made it his mission to bash the MPAA as much as possible.

When im making movies, i swear, im gonna do everything in my power to challenge the authority of the MPAA and change things. Cause lets face it: The MPAA are a bunch of ass-ramming uncle-fuckers. The only reason Tom Green got an 'R' for freddy got fingered was cause that was Jack Valenti's high horse he was jerking off.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Ravi

The infamous scene in Storytelling is not that bad in its original form.  It is a wide shot, with no close ups of genitalia or anything.  Don't know why it was even an issue for the MPAA.