Most perfectly composed shot in movie history

Started by Just Withnail, May 22, 2003, 12:32:14 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: P™i thought composed meant, like as a picture, the way it looks.

Yes... you are right... somehow, this all turned from best composed shot to best shot to best scene.

picolas

i can't find the version of this shot from the other side anywhere on the internet

but in terms of composition, that shot from the other side is one of my most favouritest ever.

picolas

Quote from: mogwaipicolas, do you mean this shot?

'at's the one.

ProgWRX

Quote from: mogwaipicolas, do you mean this shot?

-Carlos

Born Under Punches

The stretch in Goodfellas where Ray Liotta and Robert DeNiro eat in the diner after the May 12, 1980 sequence.  Dizzying.

godardian

Yeah, there does seem to be some confusion as to what "composed" means. It means one single shot- not a sequence- where everything in the frame is as apt or perfect as possible.

And I'd say that Frank Lloyd Wright-based bathroom shot from The Shining well qualifies, but Kubrick's work is replete with perfectly composed shots. I don't think I could choose that one over the opening shot of Clockwork Orange.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Xixax

I have always thought that the composition of this shot is just absolutely brilliant.

ADMIN WARNING:THIS LINK HAS BEEN GOATSED, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS, JUST PLAY IT SAFE AND AVOID CLICKING ON IT.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Cecil

SoNowThen

Quote from: XixaxI have always thought that the composition of this shot is just absolutely brilliant.

Why did you do that? I feel sick now. Seriously.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: XixaxI have always thought that the composition of this shot is just absolutely brilliant.

Why did you do that? I feel sick now. Seriously.

Yeah... I mean, we're forewarned by the fact that it has to have that extra layer of link protection, but still... that is by far the most disturbing and disgusting thing I've seen on this board. And that's actually saying something.

Just my opinion. I'm all for putting whatever you want. That was singularly wince-inducing, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

BonBon85

I learned months ago to never trust any of xixax's links. Now it's almost funny to see those who have yet to learn this.

godardian

Quote from: BonBon85I learned months ago to never trust any of xixax's links. Now it's almost funny to see those who have yet to learn this.

It's like having a big, red button in front of you. One that blinks off and on and says "don't push" even as it begs- begs- you to push it.

I take my chances.

Xixax is the Marquis de Sade of the board.

xerxes

Quote from: BonBon85I learned months ago to never trust any of xixax's links.

i learned that the hard way

The Silver Bullet

I am sorta shocked that, for a board of die hard fans of the picture, the final shot of Magnolia has been overlooked. The slow push in on Claudia is sure as Hell one of my personal favourites...

Anyhow. My personal favourite of favourites? I would say that it's probably the shot in Lawrence Of Arabia where Lawrence blows out the match. The jump cut that follows it is also the best jump cut ever in my opinion. So there you are.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pubrick

Quote from: The Silver BulletAnyhow. My personal favourite of favourites? I would say that it's probably the shot in Lawrence Of Arabia where Lawrence blows out the match. The jump cut that follows it is also the best jump cut ever in my opinion. So there you are.
great, but what we really wanted to know was the best composed shot..
under the paving stones.