LP awards talk

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 17, 2021, 03:17:07 PM

Yes

Nah. I didn't expect Licorice in Ensemble. Hoffman was never happening. Haim was 50/50. Gucci is A-list actors hamming it up. Cooper making it for such a small role is a miracle honestly. Wrongright is also wrong (lol) because they said Don't Look Up was winning BP and Leo couldn't even get a nom here

Licorice Pizza still did extremely well at the BAFTA longlist. Better than House of Gucci did. It qualified for Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Screenplay, Cinematography, Costume, Editing, Production. Gucci alone missed Director

RudyBlatnoyd

I do think that the concerted effort by the Academy to include more diverse and leftfield members among its voters has helped PTA's future Oscar chances, as evidenced by all the nominations that PT received. The old Hollywood guard didn't seem very interested in him (helping to explain the almost complete snub of The Master), but there are a lot more international and younger voters now, among whom PTA is much more revered. For instance, I distinctly recall Olivier Assayas saying that he'd loved PT, which he watched on an academy screener (and presumably voted for?).

Fitzroy

I reckon we could be onto a Kubrick thing here and PTA's only ever Oscar win will be for Cinematography, rather than Picture, Writer or Director.

Drenk

I remember Ben Affleck winning Best Director and praising PTA, who wasn't even nominated that year.
Ascension.

HoQTeMR4

In 2017. when bunch of directors was asked about their favorites of that year... Almodovar said Phantom Thread.

Yes

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on January 13, 2022, 05:00:29 AM
I do think that the concerted effort by the Academy to include more diverse and leftfield members among its voters has helped PTA's future Oscar chances, as evidenced by all the nominations that PT received. The old Hollywood guard didn't seem very interested in him (helping to explain the almost complete snub of The Master), but there are a lot more international and younger voters now, among whom PTA is much more revered. For instance, I distinctly recall Olivier Assayas saying that he'd loved PT, which he watched on an academy screener (and presumably voted for?).

the old hollywood guard liked him. Boogie Nights and Magnolia got him nominations. Blood was one of the year's biggest films. Punch-Drunk Love was his only film that didn't overperform in that period but understandably so. The Master situation was just bad luck. Weinstein gave it an awful campaign, the Scientology aspect clouded it and then critics were more enamored with Amour that year. Affleck and Bigelow snubs go to show how wacky a year it was. But he was still WGA and BAFTA nominated. Inherent Vice pulled off the Screenplay nom nobody saw coming and then Phantom Thread did what it did.

Yes

Bradley Cooper won Toronto Film Critics Best Supporting Actor. Film was Picture and Screenplay runner-up (to Drive My Car)

wilberfan

Did we intentionally skip over the news that the esteemed Georgia Film Critics Association awarded

BEST PICTURE
BEST ACTRESS (Alana)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR (Bradley)
ORIG SCREENPLAY
BEST ENSEMBLE
BREAKTHROUGH AWARD (Alana)

to LICORICE PIZZA?

ono

Makes sense.  The Georgia age of consent is 16.

Robyn

The only award that matters

Rooty Poots

The NYTimes put out their picks for who should be nominated, and they didn't put down Licorice Pizza for any of the categories, even screenplay.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/01/14/movies/critics-oscar-nominees.html
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Yes

Welp it's dead. Dargis thinks the Todd Haynes Velvet underground documentary should be nominated instead. I guess PTA can return the tux rental and tear up that speech

Robyn

Can someone post their predictions in this thread?