LP awards talk

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 17, 2021, 03:17:07 PM

Montclair

Quote from: Yes on December 29, 2021, 12:33:49 AM
This is how much impact it'll have:

You underestimate the Asian American community and you must be ignoring the social atmosphere right now because of increased attacks on Asians this past year as a result of Covid. Tensions are high and people are walking on egshells. President Biden signed an Anti-Asian Hate Crime bill in May with the support of BOTH the Democrats and the Republicans. Do you understand the gravity of that? No, seriously, do you? If Asian Americans mobilize against this film on social media and in mainstream media, this will make #OscarsSoWhite look like a day at the beach.

Yes

Quote from: Montclair on December 29, 2021, 12:40:03 AM

You underestimate the Asian American community and you must be ignoring the social atmosphere right now because of increased attacks on Asians this past year as a result of Covid. Tensions are high and people are walking on egshells. President Biden signed an Anti-Asian Hate Crime bill in May with the support of BOTH the Democrats and the Republicans. Do you understand the gravity of that? No, seriously, do you? If Asian Americans mobilize against this film on social media and in mainstream media, this will make #OscarsSoWhite look like a day at the beach.

No it won't. Whether or not it should is a different question. did you forget the writer of Green Book still won an Oscar despite publicly tweeting Islmaphobia and supporting Trump. Every year a film has problematic discourse of some kind. The Oscars aren't until March, the noms not for another 2 months

But then again you've oddly been adamant this film would fail constantly

ono

If anything it will help it.  Streisand Effect and all.  Which is a mighty fine coincidence.  :)

Drenk

Everyday, for whatever subject, lazy "journalists" write about activists (who? where? how many?) demanding stuff, it usually lasts less that one day.
Ascension.

Montclair

Quote from: Yes on December 29, 2021, 12:46:36 AM

No it won't. Whether or not it should is a different question. did you forget the writer of Green Book still won an Oscar despite publicly tweeting Islmaphobia and supporting Trump. Every year a film has problematic discourse of some kind. The Oscars aren't until March, the noms not for another 2 months

Actually, I wrote a very detailed review about how much I really liked it. The only thing I've been adamant about is that MGM and PTA messed up the marketing for this and failed to get anyone, outside of the film geeks who were already going to see this, excited for it. Now, the moviegoers outside of film geeks have mainly heard about a weird age gap and racist Asian jokes.

Yes

Quote from: Montclair on December 29, 2021, 03:45:32 PM
Quote from: Yes on December 29, 2021, 12:46:36 AM

Actually, I wrote a very detailed review about how much I really liked it. The only thing I've been adamant about is that MGM and PTA messed up the marketing for this and failed to get anyone, outside of the film geeks who were already going to see this, excited for it. Now, the moviegoers outside of film geeks have mainly heard about a weird age gap and racist Asian jokes.

To be fair, PTA will never have a movie that appeals outside of film geeks. It's more apparent than ever now. Even though this is advertised as his most accessible, it still operates in ways that will be alienating to the masses. No other movie currently looks like this, behaves this way.

I just don't think some online discourse is going to impact the movie in any way. Once upon A Time in Hollywood had a year of the Bruce Lee backlash and it still did well with awards.

Yes

3rd place for Actress and Screenplay at National Society Film Critics

Drill

Didn't win any Golden Globes. No surprise there. It does feel like the wind has been taken out of its sails awards wise, so even the screenplay Oscar probably isn't happening anymore. Ah, well. The 5 minutes where it seemed like it could happen were fun.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Drill on January 10, 2022, 03:27:16 AM
Didn't win any Golden Globes. No surprise there. It does feel like the wind has been taken out of its sails awards wise, so even the screenplay Oscar probably isn't happening anymore. Ah, well. The 5 minutes where it seemed like it could happen were fun.

To be fair the globes seem to ha PTA for some reason so its not really much of a sign.

pynchonikon

They nominated him for the first time after 25 years of being into the business, so hopefully he will live long enough to finally be awarded at 76.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: PaulElroy35 on January 10, 2022, 02:09:57 PM

To be fair the globes seem to hate PTA for some reason so its not really much of a sign.

wilberfan

If you're paying attention, I'm not sure you'd want to 'win' a Golden Globe.    As far as I'm concerned, Paul dodged a bullet. 

Yes

Nah, he can still win Screenplay. Globes are meaningless.

itwasgood

SAG noms are out and...well, if Alana and Cooper are eligible (are they though?), then I guess MGM really put all they've got on House of Gucci instead of LP.

The only nomination for LP is Bradley Cooper for supporting actor.

Drenk

wrongright was right about this for once.  :yabbse-grin:
Ascension.