The Criterion Collection has five DVDs from four African American directors.

Started by Rooty Poots, August 20, 2020, 03:00:42 PM

Rooty Poots

The Criterion Collection has 1,034 feature films. 8 are from Wes Anderson alone. There are only 5 DVDs from 4 African American directors.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/08/20/movies/criterion-collection-african-americans.html

"To Sleep With Anger" 1990
Charles Burnett

"Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One," 1968, and "Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take 2½," 2005, released on the same disc
William Greaves

"Do The Right Thing" 1989, and "Bamboozled" 2000
Spike Lee

"Body And Soul" 1925
Oscar Micheaux

So my question is: what films would you add to the list, if you could?

Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Something Spanish

I already answered this ona twitter thread, so Belly, Gridlock'd, and The Player's Club. Other posters put up the rest of the great ones like Rosewood, Boyz, etc

jenkins

from my own perspective i'm more into the idea of dismantling the idea of gatekeepers rather than broadening the perspective of gatekeepers, but that's a whole other issue. this will undoubtedly enact the change being asked for, and good. it's easy but it's good, and still a lot of people are going to be left out, and hope to be included in this, which just simply shouldn't be representative of the highest standard imo

jenkins

The Signifyin' Works of Marlon Riggs, Pariah, Deep Cover, and Beasts of No Nation is kind of complicated because that's a half-Japanese-American director but let's count it. it has been cool to see the dramatic effect this had. idk, I like dramatic effects

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song was actually released by criterion on laserdisc. so it wasn't in the dvd count but it's coming back around and that's cool to me because I like that movie

QuoteCriterion plans to re-release a restored "Sweetback," as well as other Van Peebles films, including "Don't Play Us Cheap," "Watermelon Man," and "Three-Day Pass," along with son Mario's 2003 film, "Baadasssss!", starring as his father in a biopic about the making of "Sweetback." All five films, plus Van Peebles' mostly unseen shorts, will make up a single box set.

jenkins

if you've already seen it you already know, if you haven't seen it after you see it you're going to realize you should have already seen it. it's the most fully realized cinematic personal vision i'm aware of--

shoutout to Rated X By An All-White Jury, a golden rebuttal from the getgo