Best Rain

Started by Reel, July 23, 2013, 06:15:34 PM

Mel

Few picks.

Solaris / Indoor rain: small rain, but how significant. 

Caddyshack / Rat farts: will make you laugh every time.

Suspiria / Welcome to black forest: perfect moodsetter for the rest of the movie

Sorcerer / Wrong way: great setpiece.

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

samsong

my favorite:

The Company
has the unshakeable sense that altman is directing the scene live before your very eyes.  pure poetry.

some others:

college
it's funny.

Sunrise
only torrential downpour and hurricane winds could separate the love Man and Woman rekindle by this point in the film, and even then only temporarily.  a climax for the ages.

Unforgiven
pretty standard but the rain is an integral texture to the scene.

The Double Life of Veronique
the first of many jarring, gorgeous moments in an ineffable film.

Seven Samurai
because someone already brought up rashomon.

Point Break
how hadn't this one been brought up yet?

Truman Show
remembered this scene while searching for photos for this post, and thought the gif was amusing.

Match Point
always admired how deeply rhys meyers reaches into scarjo's ass during this scene.

In Cold Blood
i haven't actually seen this movie but this scene is featured prominently in visions of light during the conrad l hall bit.  the projection of the rain trickling down the window onto blake's face is so, so good.

Young Frankenstein
hilarious!

Steamboat Bill Jr
i really like buster keaton

Damnation
tarr's rainiest movie.

HAPPY?!?!

admin edit: added titles

Lottery

Quote from: samsong on August 19, 2013, 09:37:32 AM

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Did anyone see the Japanese version of Dark Water? That too.

Reel

I was gonna mention Dark Water. So good. I didn't realize how scary it is until I saw the remake which totally fell flat.

Thanks Sammy and Mel. Good picks, I'm not familiar with most of them besides the rain in Point Break/Truman Show/Match Point.

Pubrick

Quote from: Reelist on August 19, 2013, 02:59:51 PM
I'm not familiar with most of them besides the rain in Point Break/Truman Show/Match Point.

For this reason I would encourage everyone to include the title of the movie you're posting.

We all know that everyone instantly recognizes every shot from every movie ever made, but for the sake of common courtesy and to make the random posting of images slightly more interesting please take an extra two seconds and include the title.

If you really give a shit about the scene you're quoting, and you're not simply trying to catalogue every rain sequence you can remember, add a few words to say why it's so great. We should commend Melville for setting a great example for newbs and oldbs alike.
under the paving stones.

diggler

Back to the Future II - I love Joe Flaherty sitting in the car for eternity with the wipers going.

Raising Arizona - Don't really need to explain why this scene is awesome.

We Own The Night - Sort of a mediocre film, but this scene is fantastic, a real sense of chaos and confusion. I know some CGI went into this but it was well done.

The Devil's Backbone - This movie got me into Del Toro, I'm not sure why they needed rain in a desert movie, but it really makes the scene work.

Amistad - Spielberg does killer rain scenes. Even though this movie was meh, that shot of him grabbing the sword at the end could've been iconic in a better film. I think he made Lincoln as reparations for this.

Freaks - Still terrifying, I can't imagine what it was like to film this sequence.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Reel

Those are some good ones. Doesn't BTTF2 begin with them flying through the rain? I love that part.

I forgot all about the Freaks scene. Yikes!

diggler

Quote from: Reelist on August 20, 2013, 06:07:33 PM
Those are some good ones. Doesn't BTTF2 begin with them flying through the rain? I love that part.

I also love when Doc tells Marty to wait a few seconds for the rain to stop, noting that the weather is "right on the tick". BTTF2 is underrated.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Sleepless

The car scene at the beginning (skip to 0:44) in Blood Simple does a great job of setting up the atmosphere and mood of the film. Although the rain itself is only a small portion of the total image on screen, it makes everything much more claustrophobic and disrupts our depth perception of the oncoming headlights, making them seem much more ominous:

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

I was thinking of BS too! That's some good rain. Very foreboding. I like how the windshield wipers are part of the score. Did you listen to Mortimer Young's commentary where he explains how they did it by hanging the car upside down and spraying a hose up at it or some shit? I forget exactly how he described it, but I'll always find that funny.

Frederico Fellini

Not even afraid to say that this show was my shit.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

ono

Lol, awesome.  I admit, I really enjoy this show too.  My brother bugged me forever to try it.  Chuckles ruined Dawson's Creek for me briefly -- as much as one COULD ruin that show.  Being any sort of film aficionado growing up during that time, you had to have at least some appreciation for it.  But really, who would give CMM a LEAD role?  So I avoided it for the longest time.  But it's about basketball, about art, about music, just as much as it on the surface may seem to be a silly drama for teens (and Hilarie Burton and Sophia Bush are such amazing eye candy, it doesn't hurt).  Like The O.C., when it was at it best it cut deeper than that.  The main antagonist, Dan Scott, is a bit of a Looney Tune (an understatement if there ever was one), but that made his ultimate redemption all the sweeter.

My name is ono, and teen soaps are my guilty pleasure.

Alexandro

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

N

Short Cuts
this scene has to be one of my favourites
although i can't see any visible rain

Killing Them Softly
i know this movie has been already posted and it does rain pretty much the whole way through
but posted anyway considering
Quoteif you want to add your favorite rain scenes from a movie, I won't be mad at cha