2013 Golden Globes

Started by MacGuffin, December 13, 2012, 08:59:35 AM

MacGuffin

The nominations for the 2013 Golden Globes have been announced.

Best Motion Picture (Drama)

Argo
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical)

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Miserables
Moonrise Kingdom
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Silver Linings Playbook

Best Director

Ben Affleck – Argo
Kathryn Bigelow – Zero Dark Thirty
Ang Lee – Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg – Lincoln
Quentin Tarantino – Django Unchained

Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama)

Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln
Richard Gere – Arbitrage
John Hawkes – The Sessions
Joaquin Phoenix – The Master
Denzel Washington – Flight

Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama)

Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard – Rust and Bone
Helen Mirren – Hitchcock
Naomi Watts – The Impossible
Rachel Weisz – The Deep Blue Sea

Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical)

Jack Black – Bernie
Bradley Cooper – Silver Linings Playbook
Hugh Jackman – Les Miserables
Ewan McGregor – Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Bill Murray – Hyde Park on Hudson

Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical)

Emily Blunt – Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Judi Dench – The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook
Maggie Smith – Quartet
Meryl Streep – Hope Springs

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture

Alan Arkin – Argo
Leonardo DiCaprio – Django Unchained
Philip Seymour Hoffman – The Master
Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln
Christoph Waltz – Django Unchained

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture

Amy Adams – The Master
Sally Field – Lincoln
Anne Hathaway – Les Miserables
Helen Hunt – The Sessions
Nicole Kidman – The Paperboy

Best Animated Film

Brave
Frankenweenie
Hotel Transylvania
Rise of the Guardians
Wreck-It Ralph

Best Screenplay for a Motion Picture

Argo
Django Unchained
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Score for a Motion Picture

Anna Karenina
Argo
Cloud Atlas
Life of Pi
Lincoln

Best Original Song

"For You" from Act of Valor
"Not Running Anymore" from Stand Up Guys
"Safe and Sound" from The Hunger Games
"Skyfall" from Skyfall
"Suddenly" from Les Miserables

Best TV Series (Drama)

Breaking Bad
Boardwalk Empire
Downton Abbey
Homeland
The Newsroom

Best TV Series (Comedy)

Big Bang Theory
Episodes
Girls
Modern Family
Smash

Best Actor in a Drama Series

Steve Buscemi – Boardwalk Empire
Bryan Cranston – Breaking Bad
Jeff Daniels – The Newsroom
Jon Hamm – Mad Men
Damien Lewis – Homeland

Best Actress in a Drama Series

Connie Britton – Nashville
Glenn Close – Damages
Claire Danes – Homeland
Michelle Dockery – Downton Abbey
Julianna Margulies – The Good Wife

Best Actor in a Comedy Series

Alec Baldwin – 30 Rock
Don Cheadle – House of Lies
Matt LeBlanc – Episodes
Louis C.K. – Louie
Jim Parsons – The Big Bang Theory

Best Actress in a Comedy Series

Zooey Deschanel – New Girl
Julia Louis-Dreyfus – Veep
Lena Dunham – Girls
Tina Fey – 30 Rock
Amy Poehler – Parks and Recreation

Best Miniseries or TV Movie

Game Change
The Girl
Hatfields & McCoys
The Hour
Political Animals

Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV Movie

Kevin Costner – Hatfields & McCoys
Benedict Cumberbatch – Lincoln
Woody Harrelson – Game Change
Toby Jones – The Girl
Clive Owen – Hemingway and Gelhorn

Best Actress in a Miniseries or TV Movie

Nicole Kidman – Hemingway and Gelhorn
Jessica Lange – American Horror Story: Asylum
Sienna Miller – The Girl
Julianne Moore – Game Change
Sigourney Weaver – Political Animals

Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries, or TV Movie

Max Greenfield – New Girl
Ed Harris – Game Change
Danny Huston – Magic City
Mandy Patinkin – Homeland
Eric Stonestreet – Modern Family

Best Supporting Actress in Series, Miniseries, or TV Movie

Hayden Panetierre – Nashville
Archie Panjabi – The Good Wife
Sarah Paulson – Game Change
Maggie Smith – Downton Abbey
Sofia Vergara – Modern Family
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

no best movie, director or screenplay for The Master.

guess its business as usual at the golden flops.

Frederico Fellini

Joaquin should be getting Best actor, but they'll probably give it to someone else that is not as deserving... as always.

I wanna see Dicaprio get best supporting actor. It's either him or Hoffman.

Anne Hathaway for Best supporting actress and Jessica Chastain for Best Actress.

Aside from those 4 awards, I don't really care.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

polkablues

Not a single Premium Rush nomination.  What is this bullshit?!?
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Golden Globes: Tim Goodman on TV's 'Woeful' Nominations (Opinion)
Source: THR

"Mad Men" madness, "Smash" beats out real comedies -- oh, dear Lord. Golden Globes, what have you done?

It's one thing to await the Golden Globe nominations with a mix of curiosity -- will it combine some of its yearly odd picks with daring picks as well? -- and also that nervous feeling of wondering exactly how embarrassing some of the picks will be. It's quite another to wake up to find the Globes voters have completely lost their minds.

No Mad Men nomination in drama? Smash – as a reminder, it's a musical drama – in the comedy category? Wow. Just ... wow.

Now, normally that Smash craziness would make someone's day, someone who might be super cynical about a show like that (ahem), because it's as if the Globes are making the joke for you. It's effortless.

But really, this time the joke isn't funny anymore. It's on the Globes, and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association apparently doesn't get it. The Emmys have nothing to fear from the Globes, and the Globes are in no way an early indicator of what will succeed at the Emmys. No, given Thursday's announcements, when it comes to television the Globes are about as accurate and important as the SAG Awards. And that's a level of failure that's hard to grasp.

In the span of two days, two awards shows have shown they know almost nothing about television. Worse, the nominations aren't just off-brand or quirky, they're embarrassing and show a complete lack of respect for the medium. You know, the most powerful medium on the planet. Yeah, that one.

It would be easy (and yes, it's important) to fly into a rant about how the Golden Globes and SAG Awards need to restructure their categories to better represent television. For example, it's nice that the Globes at least acknowledge supporting actors, but when it does so by tossing them in with supporting actors in miniseries and TV movies as well, what you get is Max Greenfield, so funny in Fox's New Girl, going up against Mandy Patinkin, so serious in Showtime's Homeland. (That's so wrongheaded, funny and sad that it just makes any sane person drop to the ground.) But no, a thorough lashing -- er, helpful analysis -- of both organizations' category woes will be left for another time, another column.

Because how can anyone make sense of what the Globes did Thursday? I never thought I'd say this, but it's at least partly understandable that Showtime's Nurse Jackie, a dramedy, gets tossed into the comedy category too easily and wrongly. But at least -- gah -- there are supposed to be funny elements to it. The only funny thing about Smash is how bad it is and how earnest it is in that business of badness. But a comedy? Nope.

And did the Globe voters decide to punish Matthew Weiner or something? Not nominating Mad Men in the drama category is more than just unfathomable, it's embarrassing. Put the Smash and Mad Men issues together, and the message to the world is: "We give up. We're out of darts to throw."

As for best dramas, on the one hand, you want to tell Globes voters congratulations for finally nominating AMC's Breaking Bad, after a full four seasons of brilliance have gone by. Better late than never. But HBO's The Newsroom? Seriously? At the expense of Mad Men, HBO's Game of Thrones, AMC's The Walking Dead or FX's Justified and Sons of Anarchy?

Dear Santa, remember when I asked you to please get SAG voters a television for Christmas? Yeah, you'll need to double up on that wish.

In fact, the only nomination for Mad Men was Jon Hamm for lead actor. It's like there are no actresses on the show.

Last year the Globes at least acknowledged that Kelsey Grammer gave the best acting performance on television, so snubbing him this year for his work in Starz's Boss seems less grievous.  It allows Jeff Daniels into the mix, and for the record, his work on The Newsroom is the best thing about the show. Not to ring the same bell I did Wednesday with the SAGs, but maybe a little category expansion is both worthwhile and necessary amid this ongoing television renaissance. The Emmys did it.

(Oh, and how must the Emmy folks be gloating this morning? Back-to-back displays from competing awards shows that prove they have nothing to worry about. The disrespect for TV by others is no doubt noted at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.)

While it's no surprise to see ABC's Modern Family and CBS' The Big Bang Theory in the comedy category, HBO's Girls is a nice (and necessary) addition. But this Globes obsession with Showtime's Episodes -- a fine and funny series, just not anywhere near a top five comedy -- really has to end. By including it for a second season and coupling it with the Smash debacle, not only does FX's Louie go criminally ignored yet again, but so does NBC's 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation, Fox's Raising Hope, FX's It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and Archer, Showtime's House of Lies, HBO's Veep and -- well, the list goes on and on.

I would plead for the Globes to admit that Smash was a mistake, but my fear is that they'd then stick it in the drama category and remove Breaking Bad. That's precisely how untrustworthy the HFPA is when it comes to good judgment (and taste).

Oh, and Aaron Paul, people? Where is Aaron Paul? You watched Breaking Bad, it seems. The guy next to Bryan Cranston a lot of the time? That guy should be nominated.

There's a tiny fraction of make-up goodness in the nominations: Louis C.K. (Louie) and Don Cheadle (House of Lies) in the actor in a comedy category. But really, the damage is already too great to undo.
I will, however, take great pleasure in wondering who will win supporting actress, as Hayden Panettiere (ABC's Nashville) and Sofia Vergara (Modern Family) go up against, um, Downton Abbey's Maggie Smith. PBS will take that challenge every year. Oh, I forgot. That category rant is a separate column.

Until then, here's the thought I spoke out loud when looking at the nominations Thursday morning: "You can't be serious?" And when it comes to the Golden Globes, it's now more true than ever that they're not.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kellen

MacGuffin

The complete list of winners at the 2013 Golden Globes:

Best Motion Picture, Comedy

*Les Miserables

Best Motion Picture, Drama

*Argo

Best Director, Motion Picture

*Ben Affleck, Argo

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama

*Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama

*Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical

*Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical

*Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Foreign Language Film

*Amour (Austria)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

*Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

Best Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

*Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

Best TV Series, Comedy

*Girls

Best TV Series, Drama

*Homeland

Best TV Movie or Miniseries

*Game Change

Best Performance by an Actress in a TV series, Drama

*Claire Danes, Homeland

Best Performance by an Actor in a TV Series, Drama

*Damian Lewis, Homeland

Best Performance by an Actress in a TV Series, Comedy

*Lena Dunham, Girls

Best Performance by an Actor in a TV Series, Comedy

*Don Cheadle, House of Lies

Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or TV Movie

*Kevin Costner, Hatfields and McCoys

Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or TV Movie

*Julianne Moore, Game Change

Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries or TV Movie

*Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries or TV Movie

*Ed Harris, Game Change

Best Animated Film

*Brave

Best Screenplay for a Motion Picture

*Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino)

Best Score for a Motion Picture

*Life of Pi (Mychael Danna)

Best Original Song, Motion Picture

*"Skyfall" - Skyfall

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

well, at least Ben Affleck recognized PTA....

it's around 1.36