Ummm.

Well...

Inception.

Let's see.

Thinking...

Exit Through the Gift Shop was good.

Yeah, I got nothing.  :yabbse-thumbdown:

This year has been pretty bad.  

Haven't seen The Kids Are Alright yet, but I'm hearing great things.

I think this is a good year for some young filmmakers to really come out of left field. It's wide open, really.

admin edit: stickied
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Give it time.  Big Money Rustlas hasn't come out yet.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Fucking hard to find best films of the year, how do they work?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

Inception
Toy Story 3
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (not really '10 but i don't live in Sweden)
Exit through the Gift Shop
...Babies

i hear Winter's Bone and Kids Are Alright are great.

this had better be the greatest second half ever. then i'll consider the year even.

Pubrick

happens every single year.

the best movies are released TOWARDS THE END OF THE YEAR.

we ALWAYS complain that the year is shit and then at the end we've got a really great list but the problem is that it's never acknowledged DURING THE ACTUAL YEAR because most people complete their best-of-year lists (that they're happy with, not just trying to make a deadline of 31st december) THE FOLLOWING YEAR after catching up on DVD.

this ALWAYS HAPPENS. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. i just think it's hilarious and unbelievable that anyone still acts like this year is any different. there are exceptions where great movies are released early on but this right now is the norm. we won't know what 2010 was really like until early to mid 2011.
under the paving stones.

modage

1. Inception
2. Toy Story 3
3. Greenberg

Notable:
# Kick-Ass
# Exit Through The Gift Shop
# Please Give
# Waking Sleeping Beauty
# Red Riding Trilogy
# Best Worst Movie
# Shutter Island
# Un Prophet
# The Kids Are All Right
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cronopio 2

that toy story tagline is so stupid.

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

(Has everyone forgotten about) The Ghost Writer
Inception
Toy Story 3
DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?

picolas

The Ghost Writer isn't very good.

P, i'm firmly aware that the first half of every year is always weaker than the second half because good movies are released later so they can be remembered for awards season slash winter is becoming the new summer, but this year is definitely particularly bad. at this point last year i'd seen a handful of great movies. even in years where i've seen fewer great movies, there were at least several movies that were trying something or were moderately good. this year's batch has been practically dead in the water.

modage

I've seen a dozen good ones.  I'm surprised 2010 has been as good as it has been (so far).  Fall still has a chance to disappoint though. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

pete

Mother and The Good the Bad the Weird, both Korean genre films from last year that hit the US theaters this year.  both are great.

un prohete is considered this year?  didn't it get nominated for the 2009 oscars?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

From the limited selection I've seen so far this year (yeah, having a newborn isn't at all restrictive), I'd say Red Riding: 1983 is the best I've seen. Looking forward to TS3 and we've got a babysitter sorted to go see Inception Imax in about a week.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

pete

I liked the red ridings when I first watched them but they all had crap endings and the scripts all turned out to be pretty potboiler/ slight despite some intense acting and craftsmanship.  there is a resurgence of noir thriller mystery stuff but really the only one that really brought it - with style and freshness to the genre, is mother.  well, there's this other korean film called the chaser that's also part of that category but its too gruesome for me to like it personally.
the others in the past couple of years - ghostwriter, the millennium trilogy, state and play, amongst others all have been standard.  I think Mother really made me re-examine the genre.  I saw ghostwriter and saw how plainly and economically it handled the materials I thought thriller must be a really tough form (and it is) if Polanski himself is constrained by the 1970s still.  but then a month later I saw Mother and realized one could still breathe freshness into the genre - and Mother itself isn't even trying that hard to push things.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton