The 2010 Xixax Awards: NOMINATE!

Started by MacGuffin, January 11, 2010, 03:55:45 PM

MacGuffin

WELCOME TO THE 2010 XIXAX AWARDS!

It's time to nominate!

Send your votes in through PM, following all the rules. The deadline is Sunday, January 31th.

You will notice we have added some new categories this year: Best TV Show, Worst Film and Best Film of the Decade.

Remember: Any trailer released in 2009 is eligible for Best Trailer even if the film has not yet been released.  You should also try to specify Teaser or Trailer if there were several different versions released. 

THE RULES:

YOU HAVE TO
1. vote privately:
. . . .If your username begins begins with A-F (or #), send your ballot to MacGuffin
. . . .If your username begins begins with G-K, send your ballot to modage
. . . .If your username begins begins with L-P, send your ballot to picolas
. . . .If your username begins begins with Q-Z, send your ballot to polkablues
2. copy the form provided below and paste it into your PM
3. only list the movie in each category, not the person who would win (unless it's an acting category)
4. specify the actor and movie (for the acting categories), like this: Actor - "Movie"
5. use the most common title with foreign films (ask if you're not sure)
6. use full titles ("District 9" instead of "D9")
7. (for the DVD category) specify the original theatrical release date if there are different versions or remakes
8. nominate titles in alphabetical order
9. title your PM "nominations" (please!)

YOU SHOULD
1. be honest
2. vote from personal opinion (not strategically or by consensus)

YOU CAN'T
1. nominate more than 5 movies per category
2. send more than one ballot
3. vote from different memberships
4. write your nominations with caps lock on
5. nominate publicly
6. change your ballot after January 31st

YOU CAN
1. nominate fewer than 5 per category (whatever you're comfortable with)
2. leave whole categories blank
3. nominate box sets in the Best DVD Release category
4. campaign

Here is a reminder list of eligible films from 2009:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/reminderlist2009.pdf

------------------------------------------------------------------

copy and paste....

BEST FILM

BEST DIRECTOR

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE

BEST SCREENPLAY

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC

BEST EDITING

BEST SOUND

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

BEST DEBUT FILM

BEST DOCUMENTARY

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

BEST DVD RELEASE

BEST TRAILER

BEST FILM POSTER

BEST TV SHOW

WORST FILM

BEST FILM OF THE DECADE
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Jan 31st is too soon, dawg. A lot of us won't be able to catch up until around March or so when the big ones are out on video.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

^^^^ true dat

I have yet to see, wild things, a serious man, hurt locker, moon, up in the air, il divo (it's always rented!), antichrist, bad lieutenant, precious, bright star, in the loop...

and all of sambong's top ten, actually each year I see his list and 8 out of ten films on it havent even heard about. :yabbse-undecided:

Gold Trumpet

Yea, if it's coming now, I'm skipping voting completely. Normally I can only marginally fill out my nominee list, but right now would be even more miniscule. It wouldn't be worth it.

squints

Antichrist and Bad Lieutenant won't be out til March and those are two i desperately want to see before I make a list.

Moon and Hurt Locker are out tomorrow though...

I can't find a dvd release date for 35 Shots of Rum
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

You all have computers.  If there's something you desperately need to see in the next three weeks, just download it.  I promise you the MPAA won't notice.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

i won't make it either...what's the rush?

modage

2009 is done with and unlike some years where December is a glut of Awards-worthy movies, last year they were actually spread out over the 12 months.  

Quote from: Fernando on January 11, 2010, 04:35:20 PM
I have yet to see, wild things, a serious man, hurt locker, moon, up in the air, il divo (it's always rented!), antichrist, bad lieutenant, precious, bright star, in the loop...

I'm not sure what the release dates were in other countries but in America:

wild things - October
a serious man - October
hurt locker - June
moon - June
il divo - April
antichrist - October
bad lieutenant - November
precious - November
bright star - September
in the loop - July

So that should've given everyone time to see any movies they were dying to see.  And if not, assuming that you guys watched 5 movies that you enjoyed in the last year, vote for those.  It doesn't have to be a "complete" list where you've seen every movie that came out, just vote from what you saw.  K?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Nazi Germany ass website.

I'm voting, but only because I don't want polka to take me out back and shoot me in the face!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

Quote from: modage on January 11, 2010, 08:02:18 PM
2009 is done with and unlike some years where December is a glut of Awards-worthy movies, last year they were actually spread out over the 12 months.  I'm not sure what the release dates were in other countries but in America:

wild things - October
a serious man - October
hurt locker - June
moon - June
il divo - April
antichrist - October
bad lieutenant - November
precious - November
bright star - September
in the loop - July

So assuming that you guys watched 5 movies that you enjoyed in the last year, vote for those.  It doesn't have to be a "complete" list where you've seen every movie that came out, just vote from what you saw.  K?

Is this a threat? Are you telling us exactly what we should vote for? What happens if we don't? Oh, let me guess -- we'll never be heard from again, right?

I will not comply.

I'm standing up for myself and my people.

This calls for a name change.......

polkablues

The Oscar nominations are announced on February 2nd.  We're trying to get ours in ahead of that so our minds aren't all tainted.  There's no shame in not having seen every movie to come out in 2009, and the world will not screech to a halt if you vote based on what you have seen and then later see a movie that you wish you would have voted for.  If anything, it'll give you an amusing anecdote to share in the Awards thread.

Also, if you don't vote, I will take you out back and shoot you in the face.

My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

I'm officially passing. It's bad enough having to wait for video to see so many movies, but I'm not going to resort to watching them online to just get in on a deadline that isn't that important. I don't want my opinion on prospective great movies to be formulated in viewings on my small laptop.

modage

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on December 23, 2009, 03:26:12 AM
District 9 probably will go down as the best film of 2009 for me.

If you pass then District 9 suffers!  What else are you waiting to see that you couldn't see in the theatre?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

when would be a date that would satisfy everyone?

i normally don't even vote cos barely anything gets released here in time. the risk we're trying to avoid is ppl getting extra time but then still just voting for what the academy or all the other award shows have hyped up. if The Who? Locker gets any nominations this year, delay or no delay, it will be purely because of academy hype because that film barely made a peep around here even from ppl who saw it.
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

Quote from: ρ on January 11, 2010, 10:35:00 PM
if The Who? Locker gets any nominations this year, delay or no delay, it will be purely because of academy hype because that film barely made a peep around here even from ppl who saw it.

Not that you're wrong about the hype affecting the outcome, but The Hurt Locker didn't have a huge release in the U.S. or that much buzz when it was playing in cinemas, as far as I'm aware.  It's getting released on DVD/Blu-Ray this week, so people will only be beginning to see this in the coming weeks.

I did see the film in the Spring and it's something that would legitimately deserve a nomination, hype or no hype, even though I had problems with it and wouldn't nominate it myself--it's not a ridiculous choice for a nomination is all I'm saying.