Rent

Started by MacGuffin, June 07, 2005, 07:53:27 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin

New Trailer
I'm sure (or I hope) that there's some good reason that this musical is so adored, but I can't guage that from these trailers so far.  I've never seen the musical, and I really don't have much interest.

They're obviously advertising towards the fans of the stage musical, since it does nothing for someone who hasn't seen it before.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: MacGuffin

New Trailer

the new trailer is fuckin' awesome!!!!  i can't wait to see it.  i get chills when i hear that song.  it's a great musical and i only hope chris columbus doesn't fuck it up.  i still think spike lee would've made a better director to suite this movie or maybe robert altman.

better quality @ apple trailers
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Rudie Obias

i got the soundtrack the other day for the movie.  i kinda don't like rosario dawson's "singing voice".  it's not very strong and i do think the rest of the cast suffers for it.  also they don't do one of my favorite songs on the soundtrack, "christmas bells"  i really fuckin' they do it in the movie because it's a pretty awesome scene in the play.  i dunno, still excited about november 23rd though!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Rudie Obias

i saw RENT tonight.  i loved it!  it was fairly cheesy but still very enjoyable.  i totally think a better director would have done a lot more with it.  i had a smile on my face the entire time nonetheless.  kinda bummed they didn't play my favorite song, "christmas bells".

samsong

a really mediocre movie at best.. this is another lazy stage-to-screen musical adaptation.  on that note there's nothing wrong with the movie that you can't expect to be wrong before you go into it.  it's chris columbus, and he's still his lame self.  performances are good for the most part though you can tell the actors are trained for the stage, not film (minus, say, taye diggs and that one guy on law and order) but adam pascal is painful to watch and rosario dawson, as nice as it is to see her on screen and dancing the way she does, isn't very good.  i love the musical so it was hard for me not to respond but the film's as interesting and purposeful as Jarhead... in that it isn't at all.

there is a scene that looks exactly like a bon jovi music video towards the end of the movie that, when taken out of context, is absolutely hilarious. 

matt35mm

I've never seen Rent, but with the idea of going from stage to screen, I really wish they had gotten another director.  Somebody with more visual flare, with more theatricality, with more... boldness and baudiness, even.  Someone like Spike Lee (oh wait, what's that? he WAS going to direct it but he wanted to take his time and the producers were like no man we want someone who's gonna do it fast so they split over "creative differences?"  aww, that's nice).

I think the two Harry Potter movies are the only two well-reviewed movies Columbus has ever done.  Home Alone I like because of the nostalgia aspect, but that actually wasn't very well reviewed either, and I still would've rather had that be directed by somebody else.

Eh.  I don't really care that much since I have no attachment to Rent, but I always get peeved when producers eschew artists for hacks-for-hire.  It's like going to a hooker because you don't want to take the time and effort to cultivate a relationship.  Fast and easy.

Ravi

Columbus is what has kept me from giving a crap about this movie.  The first two Harry Potters were faithful adaptations of the books, but didn't feel like too much more than that, entertaining as they were.  And whatever else I've liked of his was from when I was in elementary school.

modage

Title: Rent
Released: 21st February 2006
SRP: $28.96

Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has today announced a two-disc special edition of Rent which stars Rosario Dawson, Taye Diggs, Wilson Jermaine Heredia and Jesse L. Martin. The film will be available to own from the 21st February, and should set you back around $28.96. The film itself will be presented in 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras will include an audio commentary with director Chris Columbus and selected cast members, a new feature length making of documentary, deleted scenes and musical performances. We've attached the official artwork below: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/rent.html

well, with this and the producers, it looks like musicals are dead again.   :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.