One Hour Photo

Started by oakmanc234, May 21, 2003, 07:20:03 AM

oakmanc234

Did anyone else think this film was bloody good? I was frankly amazed by it at times. Overall I found it more saddening than scary. Nice piece of work that didn't get the publicity it deserved. And director Mark Romanek is one to look out for in the future.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Alethia

i liked it for the most part, although i thought the part where connie nielsen says to michael vartan "don't you see?  you're a neglectful husband...." (or something along those lines) was more funny than anything else.........i thought the ending was damn good, though.

godardian

I thought it was all right. Definitely a rental for me, not a keeper. Very nicely done- maybe too much so. It felt too slick to be memorable. It works better as a work of Pop Art than as a movie, but I actually don't mind that too much. It wasn't as music-vid as I thought it would be.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Keener

Mark Romanek is one of my favorite directors. His musical videos are the best and One Hour Photo is really under-rated. Too many people hate it because its not "scary" enough as if it should be scary.

When you actually know people like Sy, the film is much better.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

godardian

Quote from: KeenerMark Romanek is one of my favorite directors. His musical videos are the best and One Hour Photo is really under-rated. Too many people hate it because its not "scary" enough as if it should be scary.

When you actually know people like Sy, the film is much better.

Yes, it was a nice touch that you felt for Sy as much as you felt for that annoying bourgeois family. Or at least I did.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

The ending lost me. Did Sy have an alibi with the banal photos he took? Does he go to jail? Was that whole "father did bad things" speech his accusations of the young father he accosted, or were they confessions of his own childhood? I really blanked out at the end.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

I really didn't like the movie. It felt as if American Beauty took a B level thriller and put it up to its level of stylization but couldn't hide the complete obviousness of the story and the fact nothing was of suspence and everything was just a major dragging through a story cliche beyond belief. Painful movie to watch.

~rougerum

Derek237

I thought it was great. It's better the second time around IMO. Robin Williams gives such a great performace, I really think he's one of the best actors around. I didn't even expect him to do anything funny like usual, I just accepted him as that creepy, lonely character....

bonanzataz

i thought it was a good way to kill a few minutes, but i don't think i would watch it again.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

USTopGun47

It's a date film.  Little interesting, Williams pulled it off fairly nicely like in Insomnia.  But that's about it.  Weak.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

cowboykurtis

very nice film -- thought williams should've got  an oscar nod. and i think romanek should've have got a screenplay nod.
...your excuses are your own...

ProgWRX

i really liked it...the commentary is really good.
-Carlos

ProgWRX

my favorite sequence has to be Sy's dream

(*********SPOILERS****************** with Sy's eyes bleeding)
sure its sort of a Kubrick rip, but i really liked it)
-Carlos

godardian

Mogwai definitely captured the best shot (and idea) in the film.

SHAFTR

Strangely enough, I watched this unaware that Romanek was the director. 

SPOILERS
First off, the film has obvious flaws...the "my parents were mean to me" confessional, some awkward lines and the artificial family.
END SPOILERS

On the other hand, I think Robin Williams is great in this and Sy ends up being a character that you feel bad for more than you fear.  Finally, some of the compositions in the film are simply incredible.  In the end it is a beautiful, tense, above average thriller that suffers from some bad writing.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"