The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

ProgWRX

Gay guy talking about Tom Cruise and Vanilla Sky :

As for Cruise...well...he can't act. He's truly pathetic in this film...it was almost embarrassing to watch. His character comes off as a total blank because Cruise doesn't know how to play it. The guy has just two facial expressions--grinning or having a slack-jawed "I'm stupid" expression on his face. Hopeless. He's ugly too. Also, he's playing a 32 year old here. Come on!!!! Cruise is 39 and looks it!
[/b]

I can accept many valid points why lots of people did not enjoy Vanilla Sky, as many of my friends have posed them to me, but this guy is something else. Its bad enough to say he just "cant act" , but to try and use "he's ugly" as a valid critique point is ...well ridiculous.

:roll:
-Carlos

Alethia

i was once watching magnolia, and my sister walked in, saw the tom cruise introduction, where we first see him at the seminar, walked away, then came back and saw donnie smith telling brad he loved him, walked away, then saw the wise up sequence, walked away, then came back for the frog rain - at which point she said "this movie makes absolutely no sense!  why do you watch this shit?!", and i believe the next night she came in and was raving about how good 'the hot chick' was.  hmmm....maybe i'm adopted....

my dad also once said that he hated pulp fiction because it was all about drugs and went from scene to scene making no sense - but he also has the attention span of a - oh wait, did i mention about halfway through watching 'fiddler on the roof' he said "what, are they jewish or something?"

nothing against my family though.......

ludovico

a fellow student actually said this to my film teacher after a screening of adaptation

"the end of the film almost seems like what he was trying to avoid in the beginning"

some guy in the message boards on imdb is trying to convince everyone that citizen kane isn't nearly as revolutionary as lotr: the two towers.

a guy i worked with once asked me what my favorite movie was and upon hearing the godfather as my response he said,

"i hate people who just like movies because they are old. movies that come out now are just as good as movies that came out then."

i used to work at blockbuster and some guy returned 2001 because the tape got messed up. I checked the tape in the blockbuster vcr and it was at the psychadelic space warp sequence and the guy just didn't understand.

a co-worker of mine said this to someone renting pay it forward, sixth sense, and memento respectively

SPOILERS

"it's ok. i was just surprised that they killed the kid at the end."
"it took me a few times seeing this movie to realize that bruce willis's character is dead the whole time"
"the story is ok, but the editing is really bad."

i am fairly certain none of the customers had seen the films they were renting.
"I'm successful, right? I mean, I could say to a woman, I'm a screenwriter and she'd look at me differently. I could get laid. But I want someone to like me. For me. Y'know? The way I like them. The way I'd do anything for that woman walking down the street. A million women walking down the street. I don't need to know what their jobs are. No one will ever love me like that. Like I love almost every woman I see."
      - Charlie Kaufman

Join my Mob!

CollinBullock

I have a rule with girlfriends.  When I first start dating them, I show them John Woo's "The Killer".  

The first girlfriend I had, she made me turn it off after she realized it has subtitles.  If she hadn't have had sex with me later that evening, it would have been all over.

The last girlfriend I showed to, she turned to me and said "Chow Yun Fat is hot".  I agreed with her.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

rustinglass

I've got a couple:

some guy on imdb said: "the unbearable lightness of being is the worst movie of all time! it's a three-hour epic about unfaithfulness"

and this was a review on UNDERGROUND by some american critic:"it's a total waste of time! there is no need to make a film about how stupid eastern-european people are".

that's funny
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Gold Trumpet

CollinBullock,
Your last post reminded me of some characters in the movie, "Diner", but in a good charming way though there are some questions of sanity that must be asked.

Made me laugh though, which these days on this board is rare.

~rougerum

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMade me laugh though, which these days on this board is rare.

Boo hoo, you're breaking my heart.
under the paving stones.

Recce

I once had a guy complain to me at a movie theatre because the boom kept coming into the shot. He was all mad at us.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Tiff

After looking in three different video stores for Reservoir Dogs, my last choice was to go to this kinda new one that people never go to. I asked the shop owner if he had it and he said:
(note: this guy never gets people in his shop and probably hadn't had any previous human interaction in the last 2 decades).

"No...it was stolen. 15 videos were stolen...by the gangster boys around here...because that movie is about drugs, swearing, drugs, swearing, drugs, drugs, drugs, swearing...

then he just went on about bs. so i asked him for 'jackie brown' and this guy has obviously never heard of it before. he finds the video, reads the back of it and "hmmm..."s me...

...so to cut through all the shit i just wrote, who the fuck still says "Hmm..." anymore?!
"Shut the fuck up!"

bonanzataz

Quote from: RecceI once had a guy complain to me at a movie theatre because the boom kept coming into the shot. He was all mad at us.

that's because it was the projectionist's fault. he fucked up the framing.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

BrainSushi

All right, I didn't like Final Destination 2, and neither did my friend Tara, but I didn't like her reasoning:

"It looked like an independent film."

Another independent related comment comes from somebody I know named RJ, who thinks to appear smart, he can only like independent movies. He saw Adaptation, praising it, but then said it was pure shit when he found out it was produced by Columbia Pictures.

I don't remember what movie this one kid at my school was talking about, but he was bragging how he'd seen a black and white movie from the 40s. The stupid kids around him responded with, "Whoa" and "That's fuckin' weird."

When I recommended Amelie to some friends, they had to know what country it was from (they'd already known it was foreign). When I told them, the response was: "I'm not seeing that. France is gay."

Then this one doesn't particularly relate to any movie. When my friend and I were on our way home from school, we passed the local theatre. On April 25, they're going to start showing Cabaret (probably in light of Chicago's success). I said that I hope they start showing old movies, because being 15, there are tons of old movies I'd love to experience on the big screen.

From there, we got to talking about movie theatres, old movie theatres, what the movie-going experience was like decades ago, and he said, "Yeah, you know, they used to show documentaries in theatres."

MacGuffin

Quote from: BrainSushiAnother independent related comment comes from somebody I know named RJ, who thinks to appear smart, he can only like independent movies. He saw Adaptation, praising it, but then said it was pure shit when he found out it was produced by Columbia Pictures.

Tell him it was only distributed by Columbia and see if he changes his mind back.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

joeybdot

This are not my opinions but idoits that i have encountered

*The Killer wasn't that violent.  

*Isn't Streetcar named Desire, the one with Whoopie Goldberg

*Godfather II was horrible because it didnt make any sense

*I said lets watch Magnolia
 the idiot said "I dont wanna watch a movie about a stupid flower"

The Royal Tenebaums was the most boringest movie ever!
I Said Lets watch Apocalypse Now Redux
The Idiot said "My God I Hate Charlie Sheen!"

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: SoNowThenSorry, I'm a little late here, but I've got some classic quotes:

of Magnolia: "Too many shots were out of focus"
-some chick at my film school

of Three Kings: "The director didn't know what kind of film he wanted to make. It had, like, three different looks."   (I swear to God this is true!!)
- another film school moron

what film school is this?

Tiff

"Shut the fuck up!"