Music in Film

Started by SHAFTR, June 29, 2003, 06:49:22 PM

SHAFTR

(here is hoping I don't get redirected)

I just finished my first screenplay (which I may post on here), and I have some music ideas for it.  My idea is to try to get this into some festivals once I make the film.  I know I will carry through with this because it's a subject that is very personal to me.  Anyways, if it is just for festival use, and I'm not selling it...do I need permission for music or can I use whatever I want?

There are a few parts I'd like to put some Radiohead songs in it but I don't want to infringe on any laws, otherwise my friend said he could compose some tracks.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

mutinyco

The general rule is that as long as credit is given and you're not profiting in any way, you should be okay. Students get a free ride. They're exempt -- again as long as no profit is involved.

I've used borrowed music. You can, I suppose. I don't really reccommend it. Try to go original if you can.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

MacGuffin

Quote from: SHAFTR(here is hoping I don't get redirected)

Sorry. It's my job. But it's to help you out rather than kill your thread:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=190
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sexterossa

don't use radiohead. it's too obvious.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Jake_82

Quote from: mutinycoThe general rule is that as long as credit is given and you're not profiting in any way, you should be okay. Students get a free ride. They're exempt -- again as long as no profit is involved.

I've used borrowed music. You can, I suppose. I don't really reccommend it. Try to go original if you can.

is a lisence required nonetheless? and will your application for that lisence automatically be approved if you're just using it for a film festival or is it subject to the band's approval, as I've heard some bands don't like having their music liscensed, etc...
your reality is at the end of your dream

ReelHotGames

Quoteis a lisence required nonetheless? and will your application for that lisence automatically be approved if you're just using it for a film festival or is it subject to the band's approval, as I've heard some bands don't like having their music liscensed, etc...

Lisensces aren't ever guaranteed, it will depend on usage, they want to see the script, where the music will be used, and you'll have to sign the forms saying in what situation (festival) commercial, etc you will be using it.

Check out http://www.musicforyourfilm.com/ for lots of info on the subject
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

TheVoiceOfNick

Every piece of music you use in your film will have to be licensed. You will have to get in touch with the label and get their permission. They usually have no problems with it as long as you've got tons of money, but if you're just a student or submitting to festivals, then chances are you won't be using that Radiohead... go original as often as you can, and make sure you get the composer to sign a release and permission form before you use it. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Nick

SoNowThen

Quote from: mutinycoThe general rule is that as long as credit is given and you're not profiting in any way, you should be okay. Students get a free ride. They're exempt -- again as long as no profit is involved.

This is not correct. At least not for Canada. Even when I was in film school, if we wanted to use source music, we had to get both licensing rights and recording rights. The greedy record companies and musicians wanted fees for our student shorts. Though some indie bands of course will do it for free.

Getting music you want sucks big donkey dicks. I wanted Tusk for my short last year, but Fleetwood Mac's LA lawyer kiboshed that pretty fast. Prick.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jake_82

What happens if you don't get these permissions? If you sumbit a film with non-liscenced music to a film festival, will the festival not accept it? Will the record company find out and get pissed?

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Jake_82What happens if you don't get these permissions? If you sumbit a film with non-liscenced music to a film festival, will the festival not accept it? Will the record company find out and get pissed?

The film festival will usually make you sign a form that says that you hold the copyright, or have copyright permissions for the work you're submitting. You also hold them harmless if you get sued for copyright infringement... and believe me, you WILL get sued. If you're lucky, you might get a cease and dissist letter telling you to stop using the copyrighted music, but if you're unlucky, you'll get sued outright... this will cost you court fees and lawyer's fees... you will probably get off by just agreeing to stop using the music (no damages since you didn't make a profit), but you'll definetly be paying their court fees and lawyer fees too!

The best policy is just don't do it!

Nick

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

could i have a band do covers of what i needed?  would you need copyrights for the covers?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ReelHotGames

You will still need to obtain the liscenses, as a cover has its own special liscense, and it is admitetdly cheaper (see: I AM SAM - too expensive to use the actual Beatles versions of songs so all were done as covers)
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Ghostboy

I always use original music. Think about it this way. There a gazillion independent bands and quite a few of them are probably really good. Chances are, if you look around on mp3.com or something like that, you'll find something that would work just as well as Radiohead, if not better. You'll end up with a fresh and exciting new soundtrack, and a good band will have previously unavailable exposure, and everyone will be happy.

Jake_82

Is there any site that describes in detail or gives an example of how one would ask about getting lisences for using music in an independent production that will be submitted to film festivals?

ono

I have a related question: What exactly is "scratch music" or a "temp track?"  I have my own ideas, of course, but I'm not quite sure.