Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Started by MacGuffin, June 06, 2006, 05:27:47 PM

MacGuffin

Hellboy's New Home
Del Toro spills the beans!

Director Guillermo del Toro was present at this past weekend's Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors convention in Burbank where he spoke about the current status of Hellboy 2.

"We're moving studios right now," del Toro revealed. "They don't have a deal with Sony any more and we are looking for financing for Hellboy 2. It's at Paramount right now. It's bigger in scale, but not necessarily in budget."

"Abe Sapien has a much bigger part, and we're keeping closer to the mythology of the comics," the filmmaker said, adding, "There is a song by Barry Manilow, and you'll have to find out about how that fits in. I know you are all saying 'what the (expletive) is that?!'"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Guillermo del Toro on the Status of Hellboy 2

Director Guillermo del Toro told San Diego Comic-Con attendees Friday that he was hopeful that Hellboy 2 would get a green light in the future, but the current status of the project is still up in the air. He said that trying to find a home for the second movie in a franchise has proved taxing, but he is excited about the script, which has the seal of approval from "Hellboy" creator Mike Mignola.

"I hope it gets made, but that is really all I can say right now," said del Toro.

Mignola added that the subject matter visited in the Hellboy 2 script, which is still hush-hush, echoes some of the same themes near-future "Hellboy" comic books will be exploring. The pair were mum on exactly what those themes would be, but the topics of folklore and mythology came up several times during the presentation.

Del Toro previously said that the project had moved from Sony to Paramount.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hellboy 2 is Universal     
Source: Now Playing Magazine

Universal Pictures will finance and distribute Hellboy 2, Guillermo del Toro's sequel to his 2004 adaptation of the Dark Horse comic book. The news follows on much speculation as to the status of the sequel, which has been in limbo after original producer Revolution Studios bowed out.

Variety reports that Universal is shooting for a summer 2008 release, and that Ron Perlman will be back as Hellboy. Del Toro will write and direct the film, and Selma Blair will also be back as Hellboy's love interest. Production starts in April in Budapest and London.

No word yet on other casting, but here's our interview from last week with Doug Jones, who played Abe Sapien in the first film and expects to return for the sequel:

Jonesing for Abe Sapien: The Latest on Hellboy 2     

Last week at Comic-Con we talked with Doug Jones, the actor and go-to-guy for creature performances who plays the title character in Guillermo del Toro's upcoming Pan's Labyrinth. Jones has also been rumored to be up for the role of the Silver Surfer in the soon-to-be-shooting Fantastic Four 2, but he's perhaps best known for his turn as Hellboy's sidekick, the amphibious Abe Sapien. Today, in the third and final part of our chat with the actor, Jones gives us a preview of what's going on with the long-developing Hellboy 2.

"It has to shift studios because of Revolution [Studios]," explains Jones, referring to the first film's producer. "Revolution had a relationship with Sony Pictures that is now expired [and] that's who co-produced our first film. So now making part two is just a matter of financing. Revolution Studios is not in a position to finance a film of this magnitude by themselves so they need to marry themselves up with another studio. And so [Hellboy helmer del Toro] has been shopping it around."

Wherever – and whenever – the sequel to the popular Mike Mignola comic gets off the ground, Jones says his character is all but guaranteed to have a bigger part than he did in the first film.

"Talking with Guillermo, he'll share plotline points with me and it's very exciting what he has planned for Abe Sapien in part two," says Jones. "I mean, very exciting to the point where I'm like, 'Oh please, can we make this movie now?!'"

The 2004 film was much-loved by fans because of its faithfulness to the comic, but inevitably an ensemble cast can get short shrift when a hero and a villain and origin stories and a globe-threatening plot all have to be properly serviced. Still, Jones remains geeked (pun intended) about the possibilities for Abe in the next film.

"Abe's going to have much more of a storyline than he did in the first one, and I think the buddy part of the relationship between he and Hellboy is going to be played up more, which is what I love the most about the [first] film," says the actor. "So I think we have a lot to look forward to."

As optimistic as he is, Jones admits that del Toro hasn't shown Jones the actual script for the film yet.

"Guillermo said it is so good that he doesn't want me to see the script yet until we know it's a go with some studio, because if I read it and we don't get to make it, it would be the biggest disappointment of my career," Jones continues. "So my point is, if it's that good, someone's going to make it. I think they are. I have no question."

The actor also points out that the first film proved itself financially, and "in their loyalty to fandom [the filmmakers] proved themselves, as we can see here at Comic-Con," gesturing to the mass of comic fans passing by as we talk. He is also confident that, however long it takes to get the film greenlit, it will be worth the wait.

"The frustration has been on a Friday Guillermo will hear that it's a go and by Monday it's not a go," says Jones. "And then Tuesday he'll hear, like, another studio saying, 'Hey, we're looking at it.' And then Wednesday it's like, 'We have to wait for a while.' But making a film can take [time]. The first Hellboy took seven years because Guillermo had [star] Ron Perlman slated and he really wanted him to play Hellboy. And the studios were thinking, 'We're not sure,' and, 'Does Hellboy have to be red, and do we have to call him Hellboy?' and all those kind of questions. So he had a lot of fighting to do to get that thing on screen in its pure comic book style form. And he's going through the fight all over again with new studios and new questions and new conference room concerns."

While Jones is a busy guy and seemingly has no trouble finding work – he's been in the industry for 20 years now ("My very first job that got me my SAG card was a Southwest Airlines commercial," he recalls. "I played a mummy wrapped from head to toe in dirty bandages. But it had to be, like, goofy dancing coming out of a sarcophagus!") – he says that he will always make time in his schedule to work for del Toro.

"He was just telling people in our forum the other day: Ron Perlman is in his stable of people he'll use again and again, and I fortunately have been added to his stable of critters," laughs Jones. "I feel like Guillermo del Toro's mind is this big house full of odd house pets from other worlds. And I have been really blessed and fortunate to be one of his house pets that gets to sleep at the foot of his bed. I feel privileged. I do!"

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Exclusive: Hellboy vs. the Universal Monsters?
Del Toro hopes to revive the classic characters.

Guillermo del Toro was in Manhattan yesterday for the New York Film Festival, where his latest picture — Pan's Labyrinth — had the distinction of being the closing night film. IGN had a chance to talk to del Toro before the screening about his many upcoming projects, including of course Hellboy 2, which was recently resurrected by Universal after languishing in development hell for years. The filmmaker revealed that now that the horned demonic do-gooder has found a home at that particular studio, the possibilities for monstrous team-ups involving the character are mind-boggling.

"I must say that I'm having a great experience right now at Universal, because I find that their understanding of Hellboy as a possibility is so great," del Toro says. "My hope is that if everything goes well and we continue [the franchise], Hellboy can start fighting the Universal monsters! I would love to see that."

It's enough to make a fanboy faint. And del Toro also adds that he's not talking about designing new versions of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolf Man, and the rest of Universal's stable of characters, ala Van Helsing, but rather recreating the classic Karloff/Lugosi/Chaney Jr./etc. classics of yesteryear.

"I would love to [go with the classic versions], I would love to," laughs the director, who says that Frankenstein and the Creature from the Black Lagoon are his favorites. "[Hellboy creator Mike] Mignola, when we closed the deal with Universal, we both looked at each other and just said, 'Frankenstein!'"

Del Toro emphasizes that while the topic has come up with Universal, this is all just spit-balling for now and there is no definitive plan on the table... yet. And if the project doesn't happen in the live-action Hellboy films, then there are other options.

"We talked briefly about this because I think it is such a great possibility for the future, to do that either in the animated universe or in another universe we create just for that," he says. "I remember seeing the test footage for the animated Frankenstein they were making years ago. Black & white... it is just spine-tingling. Your hair stands on an end because it was of such beauty."

The idea of teaming Hellboy with the classic monsters also ties into one of the main reasons why, in del Toro's opinion, Universal acquired the film rights to the character in the first place. The studio, he says, wanted another franchise that can live not just in movies but in various other media too.

"I think that they have a great effects department and they have the possibility of down the road creating something in the amusement parks," says the director. "I would love to go on the Universal Monsters ride. I would love to get to experience those sets and experience those things. And by the way, I would love to go on the Hellboy ride! To think that if everything goes well Hellboy can be one of the Universal monsters... it makes my geek-heart go pit pat."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exclusive: Hellboy 2 Leads to Hellboy 3
Seeds for a third film planted in part two.

Director Guillermo del Toro will likely be enjoying the Oscar limelight in early 2007, as his Pan's Labyrinth is expected to be a shoe-in for a Best Foreign Language Film nomination, but the filmmaker may be too busy to enjoy the accolades at that time. That's because production on his long-awaited sequel to Hellboy is currently scheduled to start shooting in January in Europe.

"We are in preproduction," del Toro tells IGN of the film, which many observers had come to believe would never get a greenlight. "Both with Hellboy 1 and Hellboy 2, they happened right at the moment when we said, 'They're not happening. It looks like we better move on.' And at that moment something happened that made them go ahead. We have Francisco Ruiz Velasco, Wayne Barlowe, TyRuben Ellingson, [and] Mike Mignola designing creatures right now, and we have the movie being budgeted in London and in Budapest. We hope to start shooting next year."

Most of the stars of the 2004 film will be back, including Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, and Doug Jones, though del Toro says that Jones might actually get to voice his Abe Sapien creature-sidekick this time out (David Hyde Pierce dubbed over Jones in the first film): "He'll get another chance and I am, let's say, 90% sure that he'll nail it. But I don't want to get the pressure off the guy yet!" Additionally, del Toro says that — in a rare show of Hollywood restraint — the sequel's budget will be around $70 million, which is very close to that of the first film.

"Universal came to us," the director recalls. "When they read the script and heard the number, they were interested. Because people saw that we gave a lot of value for the $66 million of Hellboy. We essentially had an O.K. theatrical run, nothing spectacular, but we did incredibly well on DVD, so the movie made its money and some. We did very good in ancillary markets. We did very good in replay on cable and so forth, and toys and this and that. And I think that Universal is interested in the fact that now they can have a franchise that they enjoy for a price they will never feel guilty about."

The question must be raised then: Does that mean a Hellboy 3 is in the works? Del Toro concedes that he has an idea of where he would take a third film in the series.

"I've talked to [Hellboy creator Mike] Mignola about the third one. He seemed to like [my idea], and that is that the way the love story would pay off in the third movie would be completely unexpected," hints del Toro. "I knew what I wanted to do on the first one, but I had no idea if we ever would get to do a second one. And now that we are I really am laying down the breadcrumbs that will lead you to a very, very — hopefully — powerful denouement of that loving couple."

Which isn't to say that Hellboy 2: The Golden Army will be a cliffhanger. Whether or not a third film in the series gets made will come down to how part two performs financially (after all, Universal had no problem killing another would-be franchise recently, Josh Whedon's Serenity, when it underperformed), and del Toro knows that better than anyone.

"The second one is self-contained and if we never get to do the third one there's only one element that people will have hanging where they will go, 'Oh Jesus, I wish they had done a third one.' But if not, it's fine," says del Toro, before adding with a grin, "If anyone listening has $80 million, we can assure you we can do a third one."

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 17, 2006, 04:05:38 PM
Exclusive: Hellboy vs. the Universal Monsters?
Del Toro hopes to revive the classic characters.
that would be INCREDIBLE.  PLEASE let this happen.  after Van Helsing blew (the opportunity), we really need this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Hellboy 2 to Start Filming in May
Source: LA Daily News

Ron Perlman talked to the LA Daily News about Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, for which Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro has flown to Budapest to "zero in on the beginning of principal photography."

Perlman added that he is busy working out to get back into that super suit of his for a production start around the end of May. "I'm already in the gym six days a week," he notes with a smile. And what does his workout consist of? "The push-ups, the sit-ups, the stationary bike. Then, of course, there's the lifting of the pizza." Does he have a trainer? "I have a trainer, and I'm almost housebroken," he quips.

The sequel will have "an epic quality," says Perlman, even as it "continues to explore all the things that are great about this character - a superhero who is such an underachiever and such an adolescent."

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army is scheduled to hit theaters on August 1, 2008.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Universal Gives the Official Synopsis and Release Date for Hellboy 2
Source: superheroflix

Universal Pictures has released the following information regarding Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, the sequel to 2004's Hellboy:

Release date: August 1, 2008

Genre: Action-Thriller

Cast: Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Doug Jones

Directed by: Guillermo del Toro

Screenplay by: Guillermo del Toro

Story by: Guillermo del Toro & Mike Mignola

Based Upon the Dark Horse Comic by: Mike Mignola

Produced by: Lawrence Gordon, Lloyd Levin, Mike Richardson

Executive Producer: Chris Symes

With a signature blend of action, humor and character-based spectacle, the saga of the world's toughest, kitten-loving hero from Hell continues to unfold in Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. Bigger muscle, badder weapons and more ungodly villains arrive in an epic vision of imagination from Oscar-nominated director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy).

After an ancient truce existing between humankind and the invisible realm of the fantastic is broken, hell on Earth is ready to erupt. A ruthless leader who treads the world above and the one below defies his bloodline and awakens an unstoppable army of creatures. Now, it's up to the planet's toughest, roughest superhero to battle the merciless dictator and his marauders. He may be red. He may be horned. He may be misunderstood. But when you need the job done right, it's time to call in Hellboy (Ron Perlman).

Along with his expanding team in the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Development--pyrokinetic girlfriend Liz (Selma Blair), aquatic empath Abe (Doug Jones) and protoplasmic mystic Johann--the BPRD will travel between the surface strata and the unseen magical one, where creatures of fantasy become corporeal. And Hellboy, a creature of two worlds who's accepted by neither, must choose between the life he knows and an unknown destiny that beckons him.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Goss joins del Toro's 'Army'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Luke Goss is rejoining director Guillermo del Toro for Universal Pictures' "Hellboy 2: The Golden Army."

The movie reunites the first movie's principals -- Ron Perlman as Hellboy, Selma Blair as Liz Sherman and both David Hyde Pierce and Doug Jones as Abe Sapien -- for a supernatural action-adventure that sees the world of myth rebelling against humanity.

Goss will play Prince Nuada, a ruthless leader who treads the world above and the one below, defying his bloodline to awaken an unstoppable army of creatures.

Lawrence Gordon, Lloyd Levin and Mike Richardson are producing. Del Toro and "Hellboy" creator Mike Mignola wrote the script.

Filming is scheduled to begin in June in Budapest for an Aug. 1, 2008, release.

Goss worked with del Toro on "Blade II," in which he played bad guy Nomak. He appeared in Hallmark's "Frankenstein" miniseries, which also starred Donald Sutherland and William Hurt, as well as "The Man" from New Line and "One Night With the King," with Omar Sharif and Peter O'Toole.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Del Toro Reveals Full Hellboy 2 Cast!
Source: Del Toro Films

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army writer/director Guillermo del Toro revealed the full cast for the sequel, which Universal Pictures will release in theaters on August 1, 2008, at Del Toro Films:

John Hurt is back for a cameo.
Myers is not back (see Rupie in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN in the London stage!!).
Universal has NOT authorized a brief Kroenen cameo/ epilogue- yet.
Johann will be played by John Alexander (body) and Thomas Kretschmann (voice).
Dougie [Doug Jones] will play 4 characters.
Brian Steele will play 4 characters.
Anna Walton is the actress playing Princess Nuala.
Luke Goss plays Prince Nuada. Silverlance.
Roy Dotrice plays King Balor

They join Ron Perlman and Selma Blair in the sequel which starts filming this Friday, June 8 in Budapest.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Danny Elfman to Score Hellboy 2
Source: ComingSoon

ShockTillYouDrop.com pointed us to where Guillermo del Toro has posted an update on the filming of Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, revealed that Danny Elfman will do the score and that the sequel will have 30 or more creatures, compared to eight in the first film:

We JUST finished the first day of shooting...

Danny Elfman IS going to score HELLBOY II and I feel privileged. I have worked with Marco Beltrami many times and will work with him soon enough but I believe we will have a beautiful score with Elfman, whom I admire greatly (in fact the "Title sewquence" music cue had the "Ta-de-dum-ta-de-dum" rythm by explicit request by me in an atempt to make it kind of Elfmanesque) and with whom I share a dark view of the world.

In the first HELLBOY film we had about 8 creatures (total, between CGI and animatronics/prosthetics) but in this one we have around 30 or more and the emphasis is still heavily on a 50% 50 % balance with CGI as enhancemnet or as a choice but not THE choice

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

now all he needs is a time machine to get an Elfman score from 15 years ago and he'll be all set.  i doubt even del Toro could hum anything he's written since.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: July 11th, 2008 (wide)

Starring: Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, David Hyde Pierce, Jeffrey Tambor, Doug Jones 

Directed by: Guillermo del Toro 

Premise: The mythical world starts a rebellion against humanity in order to rule the Earth, so Hellboy and his team must save the world from the rebellious creatures.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

David Hyde Pierce is still listed in the credits?  I thought they were letting Doug Jones do the voice this time.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks