Rent

Started by MacGuffin, June 07, 2005, 07:53:27 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca

quality is ok

Release Date: November 11th, 2005 (wide)

Cast: Rosario Dawson (Mimi Marquez), Taye Diggs (Benjamin "Benny" Coffin III), Jesse L. Martin (Thomas B. "Tom" Collins), Matthew Dickens (Bohemian), Mackenzie Firgens (April), Wilson Jermaine Heredia (Angel Schunard), Aaron Lohr (Steve), Idina Menzel (Maureen Johnson), Adam Pascal (Roger Davis), Anthony Rapp (Mark Cohen), Jennifer Siebel (Alison Grey), Tracie Thoms (Joanne Jefferson), Wayne Wilcox (Gordon)

Cast Notes: With the exception of Rosario Dawson, most of the performers in this movie version are reprising their roles from the original stage rendition. Back when Spike Lee was doing casting for this movie in 2001 (before his version was scrapped by Miramax over budget concerns), Justin Timberlake and Marc Antony were among those who reportedly auditioned for roles.

Director: Chris Columbus (Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire, the first two 'Harry Potter' movies)

Director Notes: Spike Lee (Do the Right Thing, Bamboozled, He Got Game) had been considering this film, and even held auditions, in the fall of 2001, but Miramax pulled the plug due to budget.

Screenwriter: Stephen Chbosky (The Four Corners of Nowhere) and Chris Columbus.

Based Upon: The long-running Broadway musical written and scored by Jonathan Larson (1960-1996), who died of an aortic aneurysm the night before the show's off-Broadway premiere (so he never saw the fruits of the play's success). Among the honors it has received (besides box office) are a Pulitzer Prize, four Tony's, three Obie's, and six Drama Desks. Rent is also reportedly a modernization of La Boheme.

Premise: This musical tells the stories of the lives of several New York artists of varying types and stripes (including several who are HIV positive or have AIDS), struggling to survive, over the course of a year that starts on a wintry Christmas Eve...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Rudie Obias

this will be good.  there's no way they can fuck this up when they have the original broadway cast involved.

but a spike lee's RENT would be very interesting to see.  i am super excited to see this movie.  the trailer is fuckin' great!!!!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: rudiecorexxxbut a spike lee's RENT would be very more interesting to see.

Let's hope they don't crap on this one like they did Chicago.

Pubrick

if Jesse L. Martin never stops smiling, that could get annoying.

under the paving stones.

Rudie Obias

has anyone here ever seen RENT?  or heard the music?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

xerxes

i have, on both counts.

MacGuffin

Better Quality Trailer here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

Quote from: rudiecorexxxhas anyone here ever seen RENT?  or heard the music?

I saw the musical in New York a while back. It was pretty good for what it was (an over-the-top musical). I have no idea why they're making it into a movie, except to make money as usual
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Small Town Loner

I saw the musical in New York a while back. It was pretty good for what it was (an over-the-top musical). I have no idea why they're making it into a movie, except to make money as usual

i think all musicals should be over the top and grand.  the best ones seem to be anyway.  well, the money issue.  there's a HUGE fan base.  but i remember seeing the play and thinking to myself can this be translated into film.  i always think that for everything i experience.  well, the musical is all music.  i really don't think there is a moment of dialouge until the end.  so it would interesting to see see dialouge (non-singing) in RENT.

also thinking about it, i think it would quite annoying to have rentheads singing along during the movie.  i find any talking and audience noise annoying as hell, as i'm sure most of you do.   unless i was watching THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW.  i remember seeing HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH in the theater and there was this guy in front of me singing along to all the songs.  pretty annoying considering i have never seen this film before.

SiliasRuby

Um....no thank you. I love musicals but I am not really up to seeing this one on the big screen.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

I've heard that one song in Team America.

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin

I've heard that one song in Team America.

That's all you need.

Quote from: rudiecorexxxbut i remember seeing the play and thinking to myself can this be translated into film.

If Spike Lee was directing, I think it could have stood a chance.  He wouldn't have had much room to pole vault over the top as he likes to do sometimes, and the musical/dance sequences in his films keep promising that he would make an amazing musical.  Swapping him for Chris Columbus really ruins any chance of the movie being as compelling as the show was.  

But, be it for producing or directing, this is Columbus' Oscar.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: hacksparrowBut, be it for producing or directing, this is Columbus' Oscar.

I could've sworn he got one for Home Alone.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Walrus
Quote from: hacksparrowBut, be it for producing or directing, this is Columbus' Oscar.

I could've sworn he got one for Home Alone.

No, that was Cannes.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks