Assault On Precinct 13 (2005)

Started by MacGuffin, November 17, 2004, 03:51:54 PM

analogzombie

Overall I'd say this is good old fashioned B-Movie fun. It definately had issues, but Gabriel Byrne, EThan hawke and Brian Denehey along with a good performance for this film from john Leguixzamo elevated this above the current state of violence laden actioners. It had some good twists, and for the most part effectively recreates the sense the original brought on. Although knowing the assault team has a motive, unlike the original, takes away from the terror aspect of the siege.

SPOILERS*********

I was SO glad when JaRule bought it. Not that I have something against the ubiquitousplacement of rappers in movies to broaden the audience ( see Method Man in Garden State, though that's a whole other thing entirely) it's just that characters who refer to themselves in the third person deserve to die.

And woods in downtown Detroit??! I've been to Detroit and there are no woods there, not in the dowtown area anyway. When they all ran intot he forest I thought it was Predator 3 or something. And do you think Fishburne will be miming his Matrix Morpheus persona from now on or what? cuz it got real old real fast.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Henry Hill

matt35mm

Weak2ndAct

If you like down-and-dirty, violent B-flicks (analog is right on the nose there), this one's worth checking out.  There's a couple things that make me cringe (Leguizamo is hit and miss, everyone pointing guns everyone else), but there's plenty of surprises and cliche-bending moments that make it all work.  And the opening scene is fantastic.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Weak2ndActAnd the opening scene is fantastic.

It kinda had a Narc feeling/energy to it.

I swear this director had a fetish for kill shots to the head with the blood dripping out of the hole.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah the opening scene was narc and the rest sucked.  harry knowles, what the fuck were you talking about?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

socketlevel

i wasn't that disapointed with the film.  i really liked how they

[spoiler]

killed the doctor, i didn't see that coming.  it really made me feel that anything was possible with the rest of the film.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

modage

SPOILERS MAJOR

i guess it was ruined for me cause i kept hearing how it was badass take no prisoners film and then i expected EVERYbody dead.  or atleast hawke or fishburne or matteo.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.