Caddyshack

Started by Stefen, February 18, 2009, 02:26:04 PM

Stefen

This was one of those movies that was supposedly a classic that I never saw. I was at a get together this weekend and this flick came up and all of a sudden I was the dickhead who didn't know movies because I hadn't seen Caddyshack. BIG WHOOP.

Anyways, I finally watched it,. The thought that I wouldn't like it didn't even cross my mind until I started watching it. I thought it was going to be one of those films that isn't debatable. You either love it, or you haven't seen it. I didn't find it funny at all. I found it annoying more than anything.

What makes this movie so much better and funnier than any other comedy from the same era? Why is this one held is such high regard?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

This reaction can be compared to every single "classic" comedy.

I have the same reaction to Stripes and Animal House.  I know they're funny, but it doesn't work on me anymore.

It's been ruined... you've probably heard every joke and seen every impersonation of every scene and the type of humor has been exhausted since so you just can't appreciate it.

It's hard to tell someone what makes something funny. 
I can tell you that I still laugh until I hurt at the Chevy Chase / Bill Murray stuff.  Two giants of comedy at their peaks.