Land of the Lost

Started by MacGuffin, February 01, 2009, 12:49:23 PM

72teeth

yet you still keep posting...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Fernando

Quote from: SiliasRuby on February 07, 2009, 07:55:28 PM
Gary oldman was NOT in 'the firm'...I know my Tom Cruise flicks.

I thought about that too, but maybe RK refers to this movie...which I have not seen or heard about before.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Fernando on February 09, 2009, 09:43:54 AM
I thought about that too, but maybe RK refers to this movie...which I have not seen or heard about before.

MOUSTACHE!

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

"Amid widespread disdain, I raise my voice in a bleat of lonely, if moderate, admiration."

That's from Ebert's review, and, as I've been noticing more and more with him, I completely fucking agree. This movie isn't a knockout, but it's nowhere near as terrible as critics have been making it out to be. Now, Ebert and I agreed on Knowing earlier this year, another film I saw stoned at the drive-in. BUT, there's something there. I think Ebert and I view throwaway entertainment the same way. If we laughed, and were surprised by how much we laughed, why call that anything other than good?

Ok, so this wasn't really good, but it was pretty funny. Will Ferrell, I really hate him. I mean, I hate Old School. I hate Talladega Nights. I'd probably hate Semi-Pro. Anchorman is ok, and may have been the best part of Wedding Crashers. But other than that, he's just not funny to me, and he stars in shit that I think lowers the bar of comedy every time. But I dunno, Danny McBride and him make a really fucking funny pair. They get away with humor that makes me wonder why they didn't just go balls out with an R rating. They definitely wanted to go there.

Anyway, I've sadly probably spent more time defending this movie than I have defending movies that are actually amazing that I've loved. But I feel like this movie got shot down and critics were being dishonest. Me and Ebert get it.
WWPTAD?

modage

i think its just receiving the butt of the hostility being built up towards remakes and adaptations of things that nobody asked for. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Quote from: modage on June 14, 2009, 07:18:05 PM
i think its just receiving the butt of the hostility being built up towards remakes and adaptations of things that nobody asked for. 

"The only marginally interesting, if unsurprising, thing about Land of the Lost is that a lot of money has been spent on yet another cultural throwaway."

I think you might be right. That's Manohla Dargis. I think it really does warrant the question, why was anyone making Land of the Lost into a movie? It's not like Star Trek that can be rebooted into a franchise, with legions of fans and a wealth of interesting characters and stories. And it's not like, say, remaking The Lives of Others, which was a critically success that can be translated into American dollars with American stars. It really amounts to nothing. You have a good point.
WWPTAD?

SiliasRuby

Jesus, what a horrible film. I understand what they were trying to do but it comes off kinda hack-eyed, Will Ferrel is a wonderful comedic actor who's done some stellar work in magnificent comedies, this isn't one of them.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection