True Detective

Started by Punch, January 13, 2014, 07:42:56 AM

Brando

The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate ​True Detective: http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

No Spoilers if you are up to date.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Alexandro

I was sleepy and I got lost at some point between the end of episode 3 and 4.
Can someone be kind enough to remind me some of the important stuff I either don't get or don't remember?
The characters are so rich and well played by both actors that I just lose track of the plot. Never happened to me before.
What did they conclude after going to the open mass and talking with the priest and the other dude?
Weren't they all set to go searching for Ledoux at the end of episode 3, and didn't the episode ended with a disturbing shot of some naked man running around with something on his head? I thought that's what we were going to see when episode 4 began...
Yet when the episode begins we go to jail and they question Dori's ex again.
Then Rust goes to this weird techno-hillbilly rave and questions that other guy about Ledoux's whereabouts...he tells him about the gang of bikers...
And then it all got weird for me. I could follow but I don't get it completely.
Rust knew these people beforehand? Why are they suddenly leaving for a raid in some ghetto? How does Woody knows where they are going? Where do the helicopters come from?

I think the show is amazing, of course.

Mel

Spoilers!

Copied from wikipedia:

In 1995, Hart and Cohle locate the owner of the burnt-down church, preacher Joel Theriot (Shea Whigham), learning that Dora Lange was often seen with a tall man with facial scarring, and begin searching for him while being pressured to turn the case over to the task force.

In 1995, Hart and Cohle interrogate Lange who provides information about Ledoux, his former cellmate. Lange informs the detectives that he showed pictures of Dora to Ledoux and gives them a name of a known associate of Ledoux's to follow up on: Tyrone Weem. Hart tracks down Weem at a warehouse rave and forces him at gunpoint to give up the name of the biker gang Ledoux is cooking meth for, known as the Iron Crusaders. Cohle, who previously worked undercover with the gang in question...

Cohle hits the Iron Crusaders hangout masquerading as a Mexican cartel representative and makes a deal with his contact that if he gives his word to back a deal, Cohle will help him rob a stash house in the projects. Disguised as cops, they infiltrate the stash house but stir the area's inhabitants in the process. With the actual cops on their way, Cohle drags his contact outside as a gun goes off and pandemonium ensues among the projects. Cohle calls Hart who collects them from the scene as the police arrive.

Did this help?
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Alexandro

yes, it did help. although that kind of confirmed what I thought. It just seems weird to me how it develops once McConaughey steps in undercover. Seems overtly risky to just go out with them to rob a stash in the moment...

thats funny to see such an amazing scene broken down so plainly.

uh what. we're switching protagonists?

Fernando

this was pretty fucking good.

if this ends right, it will be without a doubt among the greatest series ever put on film.

SPOILS EPISODE 5

right now I don't think Rust did any of the shit those cops imply to Marty, although they make a case.

btw many thanks to brando for that timely link, I got chills when that dude mentioned the yellow king.

Mel

1x05 SPOILERS

Some complains about showiness of previous episode were circling around. I think THAT long take makes now perfect sense. Scene were they catch Ledoux is far from cerebral, I would say that it is even anticlimactic. They could make this big, instead they moved back to story telling.

Lottery

Brilliantly creepy and well told episode. Top marks for this one.

Axolotl

SPOILERS EP 5
The one image that keeps coming back is a girl surrounded by five men.

Appears here first, in Dora Lange's mother's house-

The second one is the more disturbing, not only because it's made by a little girl, because its reveal is preceded by her telling her sister that they don't have a mommy or daddy anymore.

And here's Rust in 2012

I think he's doing it to gauge their reactions to it and see if they're "in" on it.

It's obvious whatever/whoever is behind this whole thing is the closest to Marty, some incident earlier on that we're missing and that really fucked his older daughter up.

The king in yellow stuff mainly seems to be a clever bit of intertextuality by the writer, mainly there to provide color and hint at something terrifying right around  the corner.

I need to rewatch all the episodes.

Tictacbk

Quote from: 03 on February 16, 2014, 09:02:00 PM

Next season will be a whole different story, protagonists and all.

(Also, I love this show.)

Brando

Quote from: 03 on February 16, 2014, 09:02:00 PM

It's not a regular series but an anthology.  Every season will be a different cast and a different story. It also can be a different type of story. It won't always be about a murder investigation. It could be about detectives going after a crime boss. It's very open to what the show can be every season. I was disappointed when I first read Marty and Rust won't be back. I'm now excited about the possibilities of this format as long as the show is able to attract the kind of talent this season has been able to do.

I don't know for sure but think the show gets its name from a magazine with the same name. The magazine would publish true crimes and short stories.

There was a throwaway comment by Rust. He mentioned how badly the task force wanted to take the Dora Lange murder investigation alluding that the task force may be involved. It's clear after the last episode, the yellow king isn't some nut preaching to a bunch of meth heads in the woods. He is powerful and has reach into the police.

My guess is that Rust and Marty realize the department is corrupted and there is no way for them to investigate it as cops. I think Rust comes up with a plan that uses his talents of going DEEP undercover. Rust and Marty fake the fight/breakup. Rust leaves the force but doesn't disappear. He is actually investigating the entire time. I also don't believe Marty when he said he hasn't talked to Rust in ten years. I believe he has been helping Rust the entire time.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

ok you just blew my mind, and i guess i deserve for not researching my new favorite show.
so this is gonna be like american horror story but a crime show. fucking. awesome.

so if they're getting such amazing actors for the first season, what the hell are they doing in the future? you usually have to build up to that shit, they're really just gonna throw away two amazing actors in two of their best performances?

Mel

Quote from: 03 on February 17, 2014, 03:07:35 PM
so if they're getting such amazing actors for the first season, what the hell are they doing in the future? you usually have to build up to that shit, they're really just gonna throw away two amazing actors in two of their best performances?

TL;DR
You shouldn't quote yourself, but hey:

Quote from: Mel on January 22, 2014, 04:20:01 AM
Closed 8-episode deal is one of the reasons why Harrelson and McConaughey signed on - they even talk about that in some interviews.

There is very little chance that they would agree to play Rust and Marty otherwise. To not waste post completely, another "Inside the Episode":

Lottery

Man, watching the case gradually unfold has been awesome, it almost comes out of nowhere. Embedded in their own little personal struggles.