True Detective

Started by Punch, January 13, 2014, 07:42:56 AM

Brando

Quote from: Pubrick on February 20, 2014, 11:42:14 AM
This is echoed as the show progresses in various forms as circles and cycles become more apparent. Ledoux says that time is a flat circle, and rust repeats this as he tells the investigators that they are all doomed to repeat their lives.

I've noticed a couple of times a character repeat something in the 2012 interview that they heard in a flashback.

Quote from: Pubrick on February 20, 2014, 11:42:14 AM
Marty is not immune to the recursive nature of time. He shows his beliefs at interesting moments like when he says in ep 5, regarding what happened between rust and his girl, "what always happens between men and women, reality". 

That response by Marty is stolen from Rust in episode 3. Marty asks Rust if a man can be in love with two women at the same time. Rust responds with "I don't think man can love. Inadequacies and realities always set in."

When Rust and Marty go to visit the grandfather of Rianne Olivier, the grandfather says "She left four years ago like her ma. Not surprised they found her like that. Everybody think they gonna be something they not. Everybody think they got these big plans." That's exactly what Rust says about how everyone has a "life trap."

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Mel

SPOILERS

This recap was interesting, because there is Tuttle and underage prostitute:

Was she the person that Rust found in reports on computer?

E.g. Born in 1979, would be sixteen in 1995.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Brando

I can't stop thinking about this show. I'm noticing antlers, horns and deer imagery in other shows.

The following is something I've noticed. It may be spoilers or may be nothing. Read at your own risk.

I hadn't notice Marty not wearing his wedding ring on the 2012 interviews. I've gone back and seen he actually looks at his ringless finger multiple times. It wasn't subtle but didn't realize it until the post by Pubrick. But while looking I notice Marty is also wearing a rather large ring on his right ring finger.

In the original pilot script, it mentions the chief is wearing a knights of columbus ring he likes to rub. The chief is ringless in the episode but Billie Lee Tuttle is rubbing a ring on his finger. While being introduced, Marty stares intently at Tuttle. Marty then touches the large ring on his right hand at the exact moment before shaking Tuttle's Hand. Tuttle then stares directly at Marty and tells him, "I don't need to tell men of your positions there is a war happening behind things. Thank you for doing your part."

I then went through the pilot trying to get a clear look at Marty's ring. I couldn't get a clear look but I did notice that Billie Lee Tuttle is wearing almost the exact same tie Marty is wearing at the crime scene.

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Kellen

I stumbled across this on another board -- probably nothing but who knows...

Drenk

His daughter is a serial killer! Everyone is a serial killer in purgatory!
Ascension.

Kellen

true detective: inside episode #6

Sucks that we only have two more episodes left.  :yabbse-sad:

Drenk

Ascension.

Mel

1x06 SPOILERS

Marty is a Cowboy alright, "screwing like teenager". At least reason why this was shown is previous episode is clear now.

Tunney Morgan v Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) in frame?

Intentions of Marty are bit unclear for me here. On hand he could think that Rust has something to do with murders. On the other hand, Hart so far has being doing opposite of what his been telling to detectives or things he did say about Rust did apply to him instead. "He is past whole deal after 10 years" - I'm not so convinced about that. Great writing as ambiguity here provides a lot of tension.

I don't think we have seen yet Cohle so vulnerable, after he was used as cheating device. I want to discuss this last, because after this only thing left for him is his obsession. I wouldn't be totally surprised if there ain't no case. Other interesting scene in episode related to that: advising suicide to baby killer. What did happen to the his daughter? That mixed with "contemplating self crucifixion" and "jumping to conclusions" provides a lot of room for situation, where Rust could carry anxieties of the past onto the Yellow King.

I was watching "The Pervert's Guide to Cinema" few days ago, where Zizek talked about "The Birds" and how obstacles/tensions/fears in horror are often materialized as monsters of some kind. I'm probably 100% wrong, but being thought provoked by TV series to such a degree is a great feel.

Mel

Quote from: Drenk on February 24, 2014, 07:16:46 AM
A good article about True Detective lack of originality and emptiness: 

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/03/03/140303crte_television_nussbaum

This boils down to weak female characters and I can agree with that. I see it as a larger issue, especially in American TV. Danish "Borgen" or French "Spiral" both have amazing female characters, so it can be done and still appeal to male audience. Does this takes away from "True Detective"? Not for me, since it is only 8 episodes and it can turn out that in next season, main characters will be female.

Is this article from future: March 3, 2014?

btw. Enjoy watching "Deadwood", which has to be one of the most misogynist series ever ;)

Drenk

SPOILERS

Yeah, on Deadwood some characters beat women and on True Detective they same them, but Deadwood has Trixie, Mrs Garret, Calamity Jane and Joanie : all way more interesting than all the characters on True Detective. But anyway.

Time is a flat circle and all that let's fuck a young woman again and get revenge sex at the end. I like the show, but this episode was just ridiculous...This show is about its atmosphere, episode 5 was very good. But this one was just about revenge sex...Flat circle and flat episode. Doing a whole episode about a mariage that is poorly written was not a good idea.

Still excited to see what they'll do with their Yellow King.
Ascension.

Mel

Quote from: Drenk on February 24, 2014, 08:44:30 AMall way more interesting than all Yeah, on Deadwood some characters beat women and on True Detective they same them, but Deadwood has Trixie, Mrs Garret, Calamity Jane and Joanie : all way more interesting than all the characters on True Detective.

I probably should let go and do something else than arguing about this. If I need to hold "True Detective" as empty for not having strong female character and going into monologues, how that would reflect onto series like "Breaking Bad", which has similar faults? If one male writer on its own can't write an interesting women in 8 episodes, what about whole writing room and 5-6 seasons? But anyway.

Lottery

Yeah, I felt the events of this episode were kinda weak despite its typical high quality of craft. I didn't expect it to be better than the previous episode but I hoped it would be so. But whatever, it's was a good watch overall and sets up the next episode for some interesting happenings.

But seriously as soon as I heard in the earlier eps that the their relationship had dissolved, I prayed it wouldn't be the result of what happened in tonight's episode. That specific event. But what can you do?

Drenk

Quote from: Mel on February 24, 2014, 09:17:54 AM
Quote from: Drenk on February 24, 2014, 08:44:30 AMall way more interesting than all Yeah, on Deadwood some characters beat women and on True Detective they same them, but Deadwood has Trixie, Mrs Garret, Calamity Jane and Joanie : all way more interesting than all the characters on True Detective.

I probably should let go and do something else than arguing about this. If I need to hold "True Detective" as empty for not having strong female character and going into monologues, how that would reflect onto series like "Breaking Bad", which has similar faults? If one male writer on its own can't write an interesting women in 8 episodes, what about whole writing room and 5-6 seasons? But anyway.

First: I didn't say that a show couldn't be about men and absolutely needed women.
Breaking Bad has one female character and even if the show isn't about her (or anyone else except Walt as the last season taught us) Skyler isn't as flat as Marty's wife. And she's supposed to be important, right? This story has eight episodes and tries to tell the end of a marriage.
Surprise: the fucked up cop fuck young chicks (fucking gorgeous chicks who just want to fuck him, but let's not write about him having a relationship with someone; they're young and want to fuck hum: it should be enough.)
Surprise: his wife fucks Cohle (who's just there since episode one waiting to fuck Cohle, they weren't subtle about that.)

Where the show has something interesting to say, it's about his daughters : I loved the time gap last week, where Marty realized that he lost what was important.
Ascension.

Mel

SPOILERS

Quote from: Drenk on February 24, 2014, 10:31:15 AM
And she's supposed to be important, right? This story has eight episodes and tries to tell the end of a marriage.

Surprise: the fucked up cop fuck young chicks (fucking gorgeous chicks who just want to fuck him, but let's not write about him having a relationship with someone; they're young and want to fuck hum: it should be enough.)
Surprise: his wife fucks Cohle (who's just there since episode one waiting to fuck Cohle, they weren't subtle about that.)

It seems trivial in the way you describe it, I see it in a bit different way. Some quotes from the show:

Rust: I don't think that man can love.

Marty: Yeah, I'll tell you guys and believe me, past a certain age, a man without a family can be a bad thing.

In a way it is exact opposite of what they want. Relation between Rust and Marty works as a story, because they are in stark contrast. There is a bit hypocrisy in what they say over and over again: Marty talking about importance of rules and breaking almost all of them and Rust talking about consciousness being an error in human evolution, yet behaving very strict.

Why their friendship works? I think one wants to be the other. It is pretty clear after sex scene that Rust was looking for something more than sex: being close to somebody else, having a family, mowing lawn. Marty on the other hand doesn't want to grow up and settle with family: he wants to be a Cowboy.

If you look at marriage dissolve as just divorce, it is trivial. "True Detective" as of episode 6, for me is about lives of two detectives, their personalities, believes and differences between them. In a way both Rust and Marty are cowards, because they cannot honestly acknowledge what they want from live.

im not as eloquent as you guys but here goes
considering the length of this season, i think last nights episode was completely necessary.
i understand exactly where some of yall are coming from with the marriage thing, and with this episode being not as good as the last, but i don't agree. i think this show does not assume anything from its viewers, and it doesnt really care if you like what it does or not. the show seems to be in its universe, it has its own rules of structure, dialogue, and narrative, and i accept all of it.

and that last shot of last episode? yall cant tell me you didnt get that feeling, you know, when you see that one final shot and it just grabs your chest in the simplest way.