True Detective

Started by Punch, January 13, 2014, 07:42:56 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Can't really disagree with any of that, and yet I kinda loved the finale.

SPOILERS

The badge thing was indeed dumb; why on earth would he bring that to school while his dad is a murder suspect? Maybe the kid is a psychopath. The voice memo was completely cheeseball, too. All I was thinking was, you know what, maybe it's better that his son doesn't receive whatever overwrought, misguided, way-too-intense stuff was on that recording.

I don't really have other complaints, though.

When Season 1 was wrapping up, I could not have cared less what happened to the characters. As long as it was sufficiently insane or profound, I was prepared. Tonight, I had so much anxiety about what would happen to Ray and Frank. (I knew Ani would be fine.) As soon as Ray saw that transponder, I was kind of going nuts. Same thing when Frank got abducted.

The last 10 minutes was a really really strong finish, and I was completely on board. I like that Ani never tried to go save Ray. I pictured her pleading for the boat to turn around as that woman holds her back. Thank God that didn't happen; her acceptance instead was a great moment. And yes, I bought into the girl power scene at the end.

Season 1 had its share of unevenness. Outside of 2 or 3 episodes, there was a good amount of ambivalence in this thread. Its greatest assets were the director and the two leads. Season 1 was brilliant when they were allowed to take over.

This season's problem was wasted potential. In theory, it had what a second season needed: a major shift in setting and tone, a wider narrative, better female characters, and more elaborately-drawn characters in general. Had Cary Fukunaga directed, it might have easily been superior to Season 1.

samsong

the finale gave me blue balls in my heart.

the previous two episodes gave me some hope that they were going to end this in a satisfyingly batshit way, and it went back to Broken Characters Lick Their Wounds: The Miniseries.  such stock haunted-by-the-past bullshit.  it was like mad libs where they all had the same dramatic conflict and "arc" if you can call it that, with the specifics altered for each archetype.

an early scene between vaughn and reilly is one of the worst things i've ever seen.  literally every facet of it is a master class in how not to go about drama.  almost turned it off after that.

i don't think the premise was all that terrible, really (though it ended TERRIBLY), but taking what should've been a pulpy, bizarre, nearly incomprehensible LA noir a la The Big Sleep and forcing last season's tone onto it while bogging it down with horseshit existentialism was a mistake.  one need only see the 84 overhead shots of LA traffic/roads per episode to realize they were really at a loss for how to go about this one.  it's like The Room but 8 hours long and rarely funny to laugh at.  just cringe-inducing and stupid.

i hate myself for watching it all, and for at any point having hope for it being remotely good. 

Jeremy Blackman

We Probably Won't Have True Detective to Kick Around Anymore (But We'll Still Have Nic Pizzolatto)

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/true-detective-season-three-nic-pizzolatto.html

Were you wondering what sort of manly men would get into dark and twisted trouble in the third season of True Detective? If so, we've got bad news for you: According to a THR profile of new HBO programming head Casey Bloys, a third season of the crime anthology series is probably not on the menu. More likely, sources say, is a different series from creator Nic Pizzolatto, who signed an exclusive deal with HBO last fall. The news is not incredibly surprising — even at the height of True D mania, Pizzolatto said he couldn't imagine making more than three seasons of the show. There's no word on what Pizzolatto's other ideas could be, but knowing what happened in season two, a Hollywood satire is probably out of the question.

wilder

'True Detective': Carmen Ejogo To Star In Season 3 Of HBO Anthology Series
via Deadline

Carmen Ejogo is set to star opposite Mahershala Ali in the third season of Nic Pizzolatto's HBO crime anthology series True Detective.

The new installment of True Detective tells the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods.

Ejogo will play Amelia Reardon, an Arkansas schoolteacher with a connection to two missing children in 1980. Ali plays the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

Like with the breakout original installment of True Detective, which Pizzolatto wrote by himself, he is the sole writer of the third season with the exception of Episode 4, which he co-wrote with David Milch. Jeremy Saulnier is the Season 3 director alongside Pizzolatto, who will make his directorial debut.

Pizzolatto, who also serves as showrunner, executive produces with Saulnier and returning executive producers Scott Stephens; Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, who toplined Season 1; Cary Joji Fukunaga, who directed Season 1; Scott Stephens, Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown.

English-Nigerian actress Ejogo is best known for her performances as Coretta Scott King in Ava DuVernay's Selma and in Born to Be Blue. She just completed shooting the Warner Bros  sequel, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, reprising her role from the first movie. Ejogo currently stars on the second season of the Starz series The Girlfriend Experience and is onscreen in Roman J. Israel, Esq. opposite Denzel Washington.

Fernando

polkablues

I'm ready to be hurt again.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Something Spanish

polkablues

It wasn't quite as bad as it gets (dis)credit for, but it was very apparent that it was written too quickly, and suffered immeasurably in comparison to the first season.

Something Spanish

that seems to be the consensus and what has kept me away from S2 despite the greatness of its first season

Alethia

Comparatively speaking, S2 ranks as a letdown, but I always find myself defending it.

polkablues

There was some great character stuff going on, but the underlying "mystery" of the season was garbage.

Alethia

Anyone watching season 3? I'm about to move on to Episode 2. So far, fairly solid, though I'm not exactly blown away...yet. Really dig Jeremy Saulnier's films so I feel hopeful moving forward.

wilberfan

Yeah, I'm up-to-date with it so far.  I think I agree with you at this point.  The actors are quite good, although everything seems pitched at a pretty understated level.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: eward on January 25, 2019, 01:32:13 PM
Anyone watching season 3? I'm about to move on to Episode 2. So far, fairly solid, though I'm not exactly blown away...yet. Really dig Jeremy Saulnier's films so I feel hopeful moving forward.

I regret to inform you that Saulnier quit after the first two episodes due to creative differences.

"For me the take away from the show, I don't really speak too much on the record about it, but I do think that show is gonna offer me a whole ton of challenges and I think it is going to end up really helping my career going forward as far as what I can face when I put my foot down."

https://www.metro.us/entertainment/tv/jeremy-saulnier-talks-leaving-and-learning-from-true-detective-season-3

Alethia

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on January 25, 2019, 05:13:01 PM
Quote from: eward on January 25, 2019, 01:32:13 PM

I regret to inform you that Saulnier quit after the first two episodes due to creative differences.

"For me the take away from the show, I don't really speak too much on the record about it, but I do think that show is gonna offer me a whole ton of challenges and I think it is going to end up really helping my career going forward as far as what I can face when I put my foot down."

https://www.metro.us/entertainment/tv/jeremy-saulnier-talks-leaving-and-learning-from-true-detective-season-3

Fuck. That doesn't bode well for what's to come, in my view.