True Detective

Started by Punch, January 13, 2014, 07:42:56 AM

polkablues

This is a really nice interpretation of the finale that I can get on board with. I don't for a second believe it's what the makers intended, but at least it lets me view the ending in a way that doesn't leave me horribly let down.

http://io9.com/why-true-detective-is-a-supernatural-show-after-all-1564370767
My house, my rules, my coffee

ok that shit is amazing.
do i have to say SPOILERS at this point?

the terror you see from people when they talk about the yellow king is weird, because what we are shown is basically some fucked up torture and rape stuff. but its human, and these are older people usually showing a straight up mortified perception of the subject, beyond anything that someone could be desensitized to over the years. so for the yellow king to be essentially an evil spirit that can control people to a bizarre and realistic extent...thats some deep and logical shit. these people have been exposed to folks that have touched evil itself. not to go too far, but what if the yellow king is satan himself, causing his equivalent of what we call 'miracles' from god (unexplainable events but in a negative manner)? the voice in carcosa, the portal opening up, and then rust turning into a different person all makes sense in that context.

Brando

I don't remember why I didn't post this earlier.

Childress wasn't the Yellow King. The alter at the end was the yellow king. It was either the Production Designer or Costume Designer who confirmed it.  That supports the articles interpretation

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

MacGuffin

'True Detective' Season 2 Will Have Three Leads, California Setting
Source: Variety

More details have emerged about the cast and setting of "True Detective" season two, which will have three new leads, according to creator Nic Pizzolatto.

In a recent interview with public radio program "To the Best of Our Knowledge," Pizzolatto revealed that in the new season's current form, "we're working with three leads. It takes place in California — not Los Angeles, but some of the much lesser known venues of California — and we're going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambiance of the place, much like we did in season one."

He added, "The characters are all new, but I'm deeply in love with each of them. We've got the entire series broken out with a couple of scripts, and we'll probably start casting in earnest in the coming months."

The show's anthology format means that season two will be entirely self-contained and distinct from its freshman year, with no plans for season one stars Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson to return — something that differentiates the series from FX's "American Horror Story," which recycles actors from past seasons in new roles.

Pizzolatto previously told HitFix that "True Detective" season two would be about "hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system."

Last week, rumors circulated that "Zero Dark Thirty" star Jessica Chastain was offered a role in season two, but the actress denied the buzz on the red carpet at Cannes. "It's an awkward thing because when all that attention happens — it takes away from whoever plays the role," she said. "I'm a big fan of the series. I'm going to watch the second season just like I watched every episode of the first."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

True Detective's second season will have reduced role for the darkness of the soul

http://www.avclub.com/article/true-detectives-second-season-will-have-reduced-ro-208418

While much of the talk surrounding the new season of True Detective has swirled around who might be cast, many fans have also wondered about the swirling abyss, and how much they can expect to see next year of returning cast favorite, the pitiless void of the human condition. According to HBO's Michael Lombardo, the darkness will return, to be touched and subsequently touch you back and so on, but its role has been somewhat reduced.

"It's still dark," Lombardo said at the Guardian International Television Festival, presumably to a fan clutching an 8 x 10 of the endless obsidian night. "Nic [Pizzolatto, creator] explores the darkness in people's souls.... It's not as dark, but it's not a light ride. Nic likes looking into the crevices of the soul." And indeed, no matter how Pizzolatto likes to probe them, crevices can contain only so much darkness—particularly in the California sunshine.

Thanks to this free time in its shooting schedule, the darkness of the human soul can also be seen just about every-fucking-where right now.

Punch

Colin Farrell Has Confirmed His Role In 'True Detective'

[The] 38-year-old star said, "I'm doing the second series. I'm so excited."

"I know it will be eight episodes and take around four or five months to shoot. I know very little about it, but we're shooting in the environs of Los Angeles which is great. It means I get to stay at home and see the kids."

Farrell revealed the rest of the cast are still being locked down.

Farrell has been rumored for a role since the casting rumors started and makes the first confirmation for the series second season. Other names that have been rumored include Vince Vaughn, Taylor Kitsch, and a slew of female names like Elisabeth Moss, Rachel McAdams, and Jessica Biel.

There were also some new plot details that match up with what has been previously reported, creating a nice picture for what we can expect:

Nic Pizzolatto has returned to pen the next series, which looks set to pick up on the bloody murder of a corrupt city businessman found dead the night before a major transportation deal.

Three police officials from different cities are put in charge of solving the high profile case.

While the first season was directly solely by Emmy winner Cary Fukanaga, the new run will likely make use of multiple directors. No one has been confirmed as yet, but William Friedkin and The Fast and the Furious' Justin Lin are among rumored names.

Via uproxx.com
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Reel

Ew, I hate this new cast

source: entertainment weekly

HBO is announcing some more cast members for True Detective season two.

The network has finally officially confirmed that Rachel McAdams (Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows) and Kelly Reilly (Black Box) have joined as female leads, along with Taylor Kitsch (Lone Survivor) in a major role.

Here are the official descriptions:

Rachel McAdams as Ani Bezzerides, a Ventura County Sheriff's detective whose uncompromising ethics put her at odds with others and the system she serves.

Taylor Kitsch as Paul Woodrugh, a war veteran and motorcycle officer for the California Highway Patrol, running from a difficult past and the sudden glare of a scandal that never happened.

Kelly Reilly as Jordan, Frank Semyon's wife, a former D-list actress who is a full partner in his enterprises and ambitions.

Previously confirmed cast:

Colin Farrell as Ray Velcoro, a compromised detective whose allegiances are torn between his masters in a corrupt police department and the mobster who owns him.

Vince Vaughn as Frank Semyon, a criminal and entrepreneur in danger of losing his empire when his move into legitimate enterprise is upended by the murder of a business partner.

Production has actually started on season two and HBO is aiming for a summer air date.

Axolotl

Quote from: O3 on November 24, 2014, 09:47:05 PM
Colin Farrell as Ray Velcoro, a compromised detective whose allegiances are torn between his masters in a corrupt police department and the mobster who owns him.
There's hope for this show yet.

polkablues

Quote from: Axolotl on November 25, 2014, 12:26:50 AM
Quote from: O3 on November 24, 2014, 09:47:05 PM
There's hope for this show yet.

He may look simple, even childish, but he'll latch right on to any clues he stumbles across. You can count on him never to trip up, and never to leave any loose ends dangling.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

Teaser Season 2

Season 2 arrives on June 21st.