The Brothers Grimm

Started by MacGuffin, May 13, 2005, 06:13:33 PM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modageyeah i read that article.  i just don't get why GT is comparing the two when they are hardly similar.

It isn't like I am comparing apples and oranges here. They are two films that are members of a genre that aren't exactly being mass produced to say sub genres exist or enough diversity to really get picky about details. Oh, and if the genre at question is also at guess, I'll call both films "fairy tale fantasy", or whatever basically fits. Just emphasize "fantasy".

MacGuffin

Gilliam turns on critics of blockbuster "Grimm"

Terry Gilliam, under fire from the critics for his new blockbuster "The Brothers Grimm," is fed up with having to defend his first film in seven years.

After winning critical acclaim for movies like "Brazil" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," the American director has been less well received for a film that cost an estimated $90 million to make.

The reaction is the latest setback for a production dogged by delays and overshadowed by a clash between Gilliam and executive producers Bob and Harvey Weinstein over casting and the film itself.

It also follows the 2000 debacle when Gilliam's "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" was ditched due to illness and floods.

But the 64-year-old, at the Venice Film Festival where Grimm is in competition, has come out fighting.

"There are some bad reviews out there, but there are also great reviews," he told Reuters in an interview on Sunday.

"All of my films evoke wonderful and bad reviews. They've always been like that. I like that. I don't like this bland 'OK' kind of film review and Grimm is no exception.

"There are probably too many critics out there with really pathetic opinions."

Grimm casts Hollywood star Matt Damon alongside Australia's Heath Ledger as versions of the real-life Grimm Brothers, whose fairy tales became required reading for generations of children.

Critics focused largely on clunky effects, "cartoon" acting and the film's failure to generate fear and mystery.

Its apologists praise its dark re-invention of well-known fables and Gilliam's seemingly boundless imagination.

"I don't even defend the film any more. It stands on its own two legs and it would be a pity if people don't go and see it," Gilliam said. "They will just have missed out on one of the great moments of history," he added with a smile.

DAMON SAYS FILM PRE-JUDGED

Damon said reviewers had it in for the film from the start.

"I was surprised that it (the reaction) was that lukewarm in the States," he told Reuters.

"The movie was on the shelf for two years so that is a signal to the reviewers ... that something's wrong.

"Terry did a lot of press about his fights with Harvey and Bob (Weinstein) and he didn't pull any punches ... I think the damage has been done."

One area of disagreement between Gilliam and the producers was casting. Gilliam wanted Johnny Depp in Grimm, not Damon, a decision which Damon himself concedes may have backfired.

"The joke at the end of the day was on the studio, in that while we were shooting, (Depp's box office hit) 'Pirates of the Caribbean' came out, and I'm sure they were like 'Oh my god, we could have had Johnny Depp in the movie.'

"He's the biggest movie star in the world now."

Gilliam is also about to release "Tideland," a film about a young girl who escapes into her own fertile imagination.

"Children are strong," said Gilliam. "The modern world says they are these sweet little things that have to be defended against any kind of reality. Not true.

"The Grimms' fairy tales were there to test children, prepare them for the world they will grow up in and I think that's one reason why this film (Grimm) works particularly well with children."

As to what comes next for Gilliam, he said he had nothing specific planned, and joked:

"I read the reviews, my career is over. I'm a broken man. Crushed. Smashed."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

B.C. Long

Quote from: B.C. LongWow, that trailer is fucking disappointing. Looks like Gilliam fucked this one up.

Looks like my prediction holds true.

matt35mm

Quote from: B.C. Long
Quote from: B.C. LongWow, that trailer is fucking disappointing. Looks like Gilliam fucked this one up.

Oh shit dude.  Now I'm worried about this one:

Quote from: B.C. LongLooks like the world will end on September 16th, 2005
I hope the Brothers Grimm prediction coming true was just a fluke!

B.C. Long

If it makes you feel any better I was hoping both wouldn't be true. See you in hell.

Pozer

Quote from: B.C. Long

Why bring this back up?  Nooks nike ny neniction nolds nue-  Have you seen the movie?  Have you heard anyone say Gilliam fucked it up?  No, it doesn't hold true.  And if you've seen the movie or heard about all the battles and what not over it, then you would see why it was doomed.

SiliasRuby

Meh film by gilliam that stretch a bit in the middle but overall, pretty decent because I wasn't expecting much.
Oh well...*sigh*
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Dimension will release The Brothers Grimm on both DVD & UMD format on 12/20 (DVD SRP $29.99). We'll post details on the features as they come in.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://davisdvd.com/news/news.html

Buena Vista's The Brothers Grimm is due on December 20th and we have all the details. The visually sumptuous film will be available with a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1, an audio commentary with director Terry Gilliam, deleted scenes with optional director commentary, "Bringing the Fairytale to Life" and "The Visual Magic of The Brothers Grimm" behind-the-scenes featurettes. Retail is $29.99.

penfold0101

damn it!
I only got to see this Tuesday it only came out here Friday.......... u guys are already talknig about the DVD!

arrh...... my 2 pence worth,
good fun action adventure, the kinda film you would take your younger brother to go see!
Gillingham, loves putting stuff in the back ground doesn't he! always stuff going on randomly ot of focus in a pythonesque fashion!
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

penfold0101

Would appear i misspelt
Terry Gilliam's second name.
Well spotted P.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.