The Brothers Grimm

Started by MacGuffin, May 13, 2005, 06:13:33 PM

Stefen

7 Gilliam films over 7 years gives me a 7 year itch.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Gilliam Talks Grimm
Director discusses dark fairy tale.

The gang over at Empire recently cornered filmmaker Terry Gilliam to ask for an update on his forthcoming movie projects. Gilliam has a couple of things coming up in the near future... The Brothers Grimm, the dark fairy tale starring Heath Ledger and Matt Damon, as well as the film adaptation of the macabre novel Tideland.

Gilliam revealed that Tideland is complete and that he's still tweaking Grimm. He says, "We finally finished that one, and we're actually finishing Grimm right now - we're in the dubbing theatres. So by the end of another two weeks, I'm a free man! And then we have to start selling the things. But I haven't had a film out since 1998, so it was about time I did something!" Indeed.

As for Brothers Grimm, which is still slated for an August release, he says, "Matt and Heath are totally convincing as brothers. They got on incredibly well, and hit it off. I didn't have to control them on set. They do all the work - I just have to nod occasionally, and pretend to know what I'm doing (laughs)."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

i really hate that family-friendly announcer. he ruins all his trailers. when he stopped talking it was good, though.

modage

yep, announcer sucks the big one.  sets look a little cheap.  not sure what happened with the editing or marketing of this one but i'm going to drastically lower my expectations accordingly.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

there there sleepy hollow the village
under the paving stones.

Redlum

I don't know why but Matt Damon really cracks me up in this trailer.

Quicktime released HD versions of the trailer now, too.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cowboykurtis

redlum your avatar is awesome - "hans christian anderson"
...your excuses are your own...

mogwai

don't you mean hans klopek? because the dude on redlum's av is not hans klopek.

squints

The fucking 'Burbs man....this is the same guy who was in the Great Gatsby...weird...was Corey Feldman in any movies with Robert Redford? or is that just a twisted wet dream i had
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Redlum

Cheers. I think he's talking about when Bruce Derns character goes over to the klopeks and starts probing them and generally taking the piss. He calls the son HCA then but mainly latches onto Reuben - "Klopec, is that Slavic?" -  "NO!" - "woah, about a 9 on the tension scale their Reub"
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

B.C. Long

Wow, that trailer is fucking disappointing. Looks like Gilliam fucked this one up.

RegularKarate

Quote from: B.C. LongLooks like Gilliam fucked this one up.

yeah, you can grasp from a two minute trailer that he totally "fucked this one up"... better move on to something guaranteed to be awesome like Deuce Bigalow European Gigallo because the trailer's so awesome.

B.C. Long

I didn't propose the idea as a definite fact. I said it "Looks (Appears) from the 2 minute trailer that he fucked this one up."

Considering that a trailer is suppose to show snippets of the best parts of the movie I thought it would have some appeal.

The trailer was awful and it looks totally commercial and appealing to the kiddies.

modage

yeah, but dont discount the evils of marketing.  you can bet Gilliam had probably ZERO control over that trailer and some market research assholes went out and tested it 100 different ways to maximize its commercial potential and what you get is a stale trailer.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.