The Ninth Gate

Started by Sigur Rós, April 20, 2003, 05:58:47 PM

Sigur Rós

I just saw this movie and I really enjoyed most of it. But I didn't really understand the ending. I can't figure out whether it does have a meaning or not. Therefore I don't really know what to make of this movie... :?  

Would some helpful soul explain it to me, or show me a place where I can read about it?

Sleuth

Which part specifically?  I haven't seen it in a while but maybe I can help

by the way, I thought this movie was just okay
I like to hug dogs

Sigur Rós

I also thought it was "just okay".

I didn't get 3 things about the ending:

1: What's it suppose to mean when that "mysterious girls" face is changing, while they are having sex outside that castle?
2: Why is the "mysterious girl" on the 9. "drawing"?
3: Who is that girl anyway? :?

MrBurgerKing

I'd say the woman is satan herself.

I actually just wrote a couple paragraphs on how Roman Polanski always makes dark and evil films, but I deleted them because this is a thread on The Ninth Gate, not Roman Polanski. Basically, in a nutshell, what I wrote was that all his films deal with evil, corruption, ambition, greed. Specifically, I'm talking about Rosemary's Baby, MacBeth, Chinatown, Frantic, Pianist, and Ninth Gate. These are the only ones I've seen, MacBeth being the last (caught it on cable a couple weeks ago). It wasn't until MacBeth that I realized that all his films deal with this common thread. Has anyone else made that distinction, or am I just being an asshole and stating the obvious?

MrBurgerKing

With the way my day is going, someone is going to respond by telling me that he's directed a couple episodes of the Smurfs, or the Sesame Street. Imagine that, Roman Polanski's Sesame Street.

I hate that, making an interesting statement, then being contradicted a minute later. I can't think of an example, but I'm sure one day I'll think of one.

Sleuth

Yes, the woman is some sort of dark force (see:  flying down a staircase) maybe Jezebel or the antichrist?
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

Sigur Rós

There are also some strange symbols that I've yet to understand, like the bulldog outside the Parisian Baronness' burning apartment.

Two symbols that signal turning points are shoes and glass. Think a moment on how many times there was broken glass in the film: when Corso is beaten along the Seine and the spirit-girl saves him and he steps on his own eyeglasses; in the Baroness' apartment there is broken glass on the floor; searching behind the minibar in his Paris hotel room for the stolen book; the window at the chateau when Corso and the girl enter the second floor window; and the final step is when the Girl leaves the note under with windshield at the Shell station. The message all theses symbols send collectively is that Corso is breaking through to a new clarity of understanding of the universe and his role in it. He wears the broken glasses for awhile, then inexplicably finds another pair (with horn-rims, get it?).

phil marlowe

hey sigur, where did you get that eyecandy avatar of yours. it kicks. did you edit it yourself? brilliant stuff.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Phil Marlowehey sigur, where did you get that eyecandy avatar of yours. it kicks. did you edit it yourself? brilliant stuff.

Yeah, it's eyecandy.....prime stuff!!!  :shock:

polkablues

I just have to go on record stating that I hated "The Ninth Gate" with an all-consuming passion.  Thank you.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

Quote from: cecil b. dementedninth gate = great!!

Finally! Someone likes this film, I think is so well crafted, another 99 gem.

I've always thought that Depp's character has a similar journey as Cruise in EWS, searching/discovering different things, but facing similar obstacles trough it.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Fernando
Quote from: cecil b. dementedninth gate = great!!

Finally! Someone likes this film, I think is so well crafted, another 99 gem.

I've always thought that Depp's character has a similar journey as Cruise in EWS, searching/discovering different things, but facing similar obstacles trough it.

I agree. I felt the same way about Depps character.

phil marlowe

i saw the first half hour or so but then i fell a sleep. from what i saw, i saw a nice looking film, mybe with some good ideas but with pretty uninterresting caracters and dark satanic tones that seemed a bit silly and old in the not cool way.

Sigur Rós

I state the following:

the movie was enthralling and the acting was solid i must say however the change in our hero i sudden and unexplained. he goes from ruthless book dealer to wanting to raise satan. the movie does not adequately address this change secondly the ending is horrible leaves everything in the air and the ninja demon chick is not fully explained. maybe my need for a nice finale is killing this movie for me but it leaves too much unanswered.  :shock:

And to you Phil: "watch the hole movie and then comment on it!"