HBO's Entourage makes me cream my pants...

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, July 19, 2005, 02:15:56 PM

cinemanarchist

This was one of the best episodes in the series thus far. It was almost all confrontation and then mixing in the sweetness of Turtle's subplot made for the perfect Entourage douche-gumbo.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Kal

SPOILERS

FUCKING SCORSESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :yabbse-thumbup:  :bravo:

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: kal on November 23, 2008, 09:28:56 PM
SPOILERS

FUCKING SCORSESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :yabbse-thumbup:  :bravo:

Fuckin-A! I am telling you guys, I got the chills, it was great fun. After a bad season for Vinnie, this was the perfect moment. This might not be a perfect show, but it really makes me feel good  :bravo:
Si

Pas

Season five after two and half episode into it is absolutely TERRIBLE. Barely watchable.

squints

Quote from: Pas Rap on July 07, 2009, 06:24:48 PM
Season five one after two and half one episode into it is absolutely TERRIBLE. Barely NOT watchable.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Kal

Seriously. WTF did you guys expect this to be, or continue to be? It is what it is and if you can't relax and enjoy stupid 20 minute episodes then just don't watch it.

modage

i hate it, but i subscribe to hbo so it's my duty to watch!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

Quote from: kal on July 08, 2009, 03:20:42 PM
Seriously. WTF did you guys expect this to be, or continue to be? It is what it is and if you can't relax and enjoy stupid 20 minute episodes then just don't watch it.

Kal it's one of my favorite show (or used to be ?) but come on... Ari is now racing ferraris in city streets and whatnot  :(

Kal

Quote from: Pas Rap on July 08, 2009, 04:46:41 PM
Quote from: kal on July 08, 2009, 03:20:42 PM

Kal it's one of my favorite show (or used to be ?) but come on... Ari is now racing ferraris in city streets and whatnot  :(

True. But if you just got a new Ferrari and your arch-enemy douchebag agent challenges you to a race, would you say no? Fuck it I would race.

pete

it got more cartoonish, but I did like it after a while.  I dunno, it's just something that I kept on watching even when I scoffed at it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

I thought this first episode was really good. The reviews have been awful, but I honestly don't know what people expect of this show. The subject already is enough for everyone to realize what it can be and what it can definitely not be, and after five seasons, if you are still watching then you know what to expect.

Anyways, this was pretty good.

SPOILERS

The fact that everyone is 'moving on' with their lives is cool after so many seasons of the same shit. I don't know if this will last, but the last scene with Vince alone in the mansion was pretty good. Plus, the rest of the characters may have more interesting arcs this season. The filming of the Ferrari film could be pretty cool, but who knows where they will take that.

Sleepless

Review in NY Times basically just listed reasons it was out-of-touch: Jay Leno, Earl refs. THought it was a good episode, but not a great season opener. If you just started watching you'd have no idea Vinnie had just filmed a Scorsese movie. Why not kick off the season with the movie premier?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Kal

Quote from: Sleepless on July 13, 2009, 03:22:34 PM
Review in NY Times basically just listed reasons it was out-of-touch: Jay Leno, Earl refs. THought it was a good episode, but not a great season opener. If you just started watching you'd have no idea Vinnie had just filmed a Scorsese movie. Why not kick off the season with the movie premier?

True, but they shot this a while ago, and maybe the Leno thing and all that has a purpose in the storyline later on in terms of timeline. Who knows.

modage

Entourage Returns, Feeling More Outdated Than Ever
Source: NYMag

Yeah yeah, we know, we officially renounced Entourage when the show's fifth season wrapped up back in October. But last night, we realized that we must've forgotten to delete our season pass for the show from our DVR, and ended up watching the season-six premiere on HBO. And while last night's episode made us feel neither especially pleased nor gut-turningly guilty, we did notice a few embarrassing faux pas that made the program feel less insider-y than ever before, and it has us wondering just exactly when this season of the show is supposed to be taking place.

First off, one of the minor plot points that you may recall from last season was when Ari Gold (Jeremy Piven) risked his reputation and went out on a limb to bring the washed-up agent Andrew Klein (Gary Cole) into the fold at the Miller/Gold agency. Well, Ari's move paid dividends last night when Klein announced that he signed Greg Garcia, the showrunner of My Name Is Earl, to a deal with the agency. Only problem? My Name Is Earl got canceled by NBC earlier this year. Whoops! Garcia is still a talented and valuable client to have on one's roster, no doubt, but this moment really tested our already-shaky willingness to suspend our disbelief while watching the show.

But then it got worse! In the ep, Vince (Adrian Grenier) is doing his turn on the promo circuit for Martin Scorsese's The Great Gatsby, a movie which we, as viewers, have seen no footage from (even though the show repeatedly mentions how great the trailer is). So he goes on the Tonight Show, only, instead of seeing CoCo and his mop of red hair behind the host's desk, we are treated to an interview* segment where Vince banters with the Chin! Now, we certainly realize that there is often a lengthy time between when shows film and when they actually get to air (especially on pay cable stations), but NBC announced the date of Jay Leno's final show as host of the Tonight Show way back in July of 2008! For a show that derives a great deal of its energy from the fact that it's supposed to feel recent and insider-y to viewers, these two factual slipups have us thinking that the show's creators are committed to once again running this season on autopilot.

*An interview, mind you, in which he tells a story about how he convinced his driving instructor to overlook his failed driver's test by bribing him with a pair of passes to his movie premiere. If this happened in the "real" world, Harvey Levin and his band of TMZ warriors would've surely gotten said driving instructor fired within minutes of the show being aired.

Or for pure laffs: http://videogum.com/archives/hate-watching/entourage-its-2004-somewhere_079012.html
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

diggler

how petty and stupid, these are all obviously things that couldn't have been known when the episodes were being written and filmed (esp. the garcia bit) and..... did that article just make TMZ seem noble?

if you were going to pick anytime to stop watching the show, it should've been after season 4 (a disaster). season 5 actually bounced back quite a bit.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty