Homeland

Started by Kal, October 01, 2012, 11:21:49 AM

©brad

This show is full on sprinting and I like it! Last night was another good episode with a fantastic ending.

EP 4 Spoilers

- How can they possibly maintain this pace!? I trust the writers I guess but how?
- So Brody will become a double agent now, working for both CIA and Nazir?
- So much of this show shouldn't work but does. Carrie's "I loved you" in the last scene in the wrong actor's hands would be so soap opera-y but Claire Danes nails it (and probably earns herself another Emmy).
- What's going on with the daughter's relationship with the VP son?
- Is it assumed Carrie has officially been reinstated? Or is this all just temporary?
- I'm too lazy to look up his name but the new guy running surveillance (Quinn?) and Carrie are totally going to bone, and he will probably die.

Jeremy Blackman

E4 spoilers

I agree on all points.

This streak of unpredictability is really impressive. I have to think things will calm down eventually, otherwise the show will be forced to stretch credibility even more than it has (though this episode was a turn toward credibility). I would be perfectly fine with some quiet stretches.

I too loved that final scene. The best comment I've read about it: "Carrie is the one who knocks."

I like the VP's son. Anyone is an improvement on Xander, really. Also, Dana's likability rating has increased a few points now that she's ditching Xander.

I can't wait for the breakup scene, and Xander's response. "But who will I get high with now?" Dana: "I'm sure you'll find someone." Xander, hanging his head slightly, shuffles away.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

E5 Spoilers

y'all still like Finn?

Nothing like the point in a series' where it earns a scene that is nearly 10 minutes of one actor talking that is as mesmerizing as what we had tonite.

I think this show HAS to have a solid plan, or else why hatch these revelations and dramatic points, such as Carrie giving Brody what-for last week, unless you're really confident you have some powerful stuff waiting in the rest of the season?

©brad

E6 Spoilers

- I'm struggling with Dana's storyline. Thematically I don't see how it ties into anything else. I will give kudos to the actress playing Dana, she was terrific in the hospital scene, but overall I'm not really invested in this or Mike's storyline for that matter.
- A lot of people are criticizing the big Die Hard shootout at the end but I don't know, implausibility-wise it's pretty much par for the course with this show.
- I'm hungry for an episode when Carrie doesn't have a complete meltdown.
- Again, are we to assume Carrie has been reinstated? It's a little puzzling they haven't addressed this.

Jeremy Blackman

Once again, I completely agree with all of that.

I think they're trying to make Dana grow up a little faster so they can develop her into a full character. That's my theory, at least.

I don't care about Mike, but I think it's fine as long as they don't devote too much time to him. As the AV Club reviewer said, it's not really a compelling plot (yet?), because he's so behind what the viewers know. And frankly, even when Mike is helping, he's inserting himself into that family to an uncomfortable degree that gets slightly creepy at times, so he's not that likeable either. I think we are supposed to like him.

I really do think they have to conserve Carrie's meltdowns. This last one didn't really ring true for me. Are the writers trying to rekindle the romance?

I think it's essentially beside the point whether Carrie is officially/permanently reinstated. (Though I think she probably is.) It's exactly like the X-Files. When Mulder was fired or they shut down the X-Files, he and Scully still went on investigating. I guess there are more personal stakes for Carrie, but they've already explored that quite thoroughly, so I don't think they'll play with it again for a while. (And if they do, it'll feel cheap.)

Fernando

im also not crazy about Mike's or Dana's storylines but...

wonder if Jessica telling Mike that Brody is working with the CIA will somehow backfire the agency's efforts to discover/stop Nazir's plan....

and in the same way, will Dana's guilt indirectly affect the veep aspirations?

we'll see if they eventually become crucial.

Kal

This reminds me so much of 24... when Jack Bauer is always right and they always treat him like she doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about... he always has to go out of his way to prove himself, so does Carrie.

Her cry baby face is a little too much at this point. Every episode. But its part of the game.

That fucking VP son is as douchey as his dad.

©brad

So anyone want to talk about this past episode?

I feel like Brody is playing the long game and his allegiance remains with Nazir. The VP continues to undermine him and treat him like ass. This along with the CIA's micro-managing his every move will push him back in Nazir's corner. Some other randoms:

- Dana will most definitely tell mom Dad has been working with Carrie. Yikes.
- I like the actress who plays Nadine. The scenes with her and Saul were great.
- Carrie didn't have an emotional breakdown! Yay.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

I actually don't see Brody going back to Nazir's side. He may be frustrated with the CIA, but Carrie is totally on it, always trying to massage his anxieties out of him... and remember he's actually more frustrated with Nazir. His willingness to cooperate with Nazir, and his motivations behind that, seem to have faded almost entirely. And it was tenuous from the start. If there's to be any twist, it will be that Nazir expected Brody to turn, and is playing him and the CIA. Or something like that.

©brad

Yeah you're probably right. So Nazir will likely start feeding Brody false information to throw the CIA off the trail.

Here's another question; does Brody survive this season?

Jeremy Blackman

©brad

SPOILERS

- The last 15 minutes were awesome.
- Honestly why would they let Carrie follow Brodie after the whole motel debacle? She's proven she doesn't obey orders. It's getting annoying, either keep her in the goddamn surveillance room or don't be surprised when she goes off on her own.
- Dana's kind of a jerk now. I can't take anymore of her crying "I killed someone!" scenes. Enough already.
- Chris the son continues to be the most useless character on TV. Why even have him at all?
- I want more out of Saul. Finn and everyone else is rendering him impotent.
- I love how Carrie played it when she walked back into the CIA room after finding out they all heard her have sex with Brody. She ultimately didn't care and it was great.

Kal

Quote from: ©brad on November 19, 2012, 10:30:39 AM
SPOILERS

- Honestly why would they let Carrie follow Brodie after the whole motel debacle? She's proven she doesn't obey orders. It's getting annoying, either keep her in the goddamn surveillance room or don't be surprised when she goes off on her own.

That's why I keep thinking of Jack Bauer when I watch this. Same thing. And she is always right. They never listen, then she was right. Why don't they listen in the first place?

SPOILERS

- Dana's kind of a jerk now. I can't take anymore of her crying "I killed someone!" scenes. Enough already.

I wonder if they are going somewhere with all that story because its annoying.

SPOILERS

- Chris the son continues to be the most useless character on TV. Why even have him at all?

He is also the ant-Brody. Such a nerd.

Mike is also sort of useless. I wonder if they will find something exciting for him. He's all alone, has no power and his life sucks.

diggler

The writing template for this show seems to be: Let Carrie go, tell her to hold back, have her ignore you, rinse and repeat. It's basically happened in every single episode this season.

Poor Saul, his face when she was fucking Brody reached almost comical levels of sadness.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

©brad

Can we talk about last sunday's episode because I'm kind of confused:

SPOILERS

- I'm not fully understanding this reveal of Quinn and who he's talking to on the bus. So Quinn is a black-ops guy who's objective from the get-go was to murder Brody if they don't capture Nazir? What is the main reason the CIA would want Brody dead, in case Brody ever came clean to everything?
- Do we believe Brody? We're meant to of course, but the praying part with Nazir that he carefully didn't mention could be something, or just a red herring.
- While I'm on Brody, I'm really starting to feel for the guy more than I ever had. The dude has nothing now and continues to get used and screwed over by everyone he knows. Many are predicting he won't survive this season but part of me hopes he does.
- Is there not another vehicle more conspicuous than nondescript black vans? Carrie, Virgil and what'shisass are always in these vans that are so obviously CIA and the terrorists and Brody residence never seems to notice.
- I cheered when Mike put the smack down on Dana in her room. So over her.
- And sweet Christ, the Chris character is USELESS. The writers aren't even trying. His lines are always so goddamn cheesy, and he's completely oblivious to everything that's happening in his family. He's just happy to find Miami up by 5 points and flat screens in every room.