Girls

Started by modage, March 16, 2012, 11:52:35 AM

diggler

So how about that Fringe finale?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Brando

This topic really exploded since I last posted. I really wanted to not comment on the huge controversy this show seemed to have caused but doesn't seem plausible if I want to talk about the show. The nepotism controversy is completely stupid. The racial issue is justifiable but why don't other shows get the same criticism? I think the show is very much Lena Dunham trying recreate a show like Seinfeld. I think it's Seinfeld meets Louie. Seinfeld got it's controversy over race but it was no where near the amount Girls has gotten but it's a different time now. But shows like Entourage, Sex and the City, Always Sunny, Arrested Development, Bored to Death and other comedies that had a vastly majority white cast never had this kind of controversy. While the criticism is justifiable, it's unfair to hold up this one show up to the criticism while I'm sure the vast majority of shows are guilty. I tend to believe the show is getting much more criticism due to the fact its a young woman with a famous mother running the show. There seems to be a lot of young woman hate going on lately. Lana Del Rey got a lot recently which is ironic since Brian Williams was a part of and now his daughter is getting it from being on the show with another famous parent.

Now on to what I really wanted to discuss: I love the show.  I think it's hilarious. What I love most is the portrayal of Shoshanna. Any other show would have made her the geeky judgmental virgin who looks down on what everyone else is doing. But she is really sweet and genuine and my favorite character of the show.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Reel

Quote from: Brando on May 14, 2012, 01:11:43 AM
I tend to believe the show is getting much more criticism due to the fact its a young woman with a famous mother running the show. There seems to be a lot of young woman hate going on lately.

Yeah, it's just people going "well, if the show's so great how come it didn't cover this?"

Quote from: Brando on May 14, 2012, 01:11:43 AM
What I love most is the portrayal of Shoshanna. Any other show would have made her the geeky judgmental virgin who looks down on what everyone else is doing. But she is really sweet and genuine and my favorite character of the show.

Me too. She gets the most laughs out of me. She's so innocent and always cooped up in her apartment. Some of those looks on her face are priceless.

MacGuffin

'Girls' quick fix
Source: NY Mag

Well, that was fast.

"Girls," which has been blasted in the media for its lack of diversity, began filming its second season in Brooklyn this week.

And surprise, surprise, the creator and star of the HBO show, Lena Dunham, was photographed filming on a stoop with African-American "Community" actor Donald Glover.

Dunham spoke about the diversity controversy on NPR's "Fresh Air" last week.

"Now we have the opportunity to do a second season and, believe me, that will be remedied," Dunham said. "I'm really excited to introduce new characters into the world of the show. Some of them are great actors of color."

Privately, HBO said this week that it "wouldn't be surprised" if Season 2 of "Girls" addressed the diversity void.

But filming with an African-American actor within the first days back on set is still a surprisingly quick turnaround.

Dunham made it clear in the NPR interview that "something I really wanted to avoid was tokenism in casting."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

chere mill

he looks a little too happy to be there...

diggler

not black enough
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pubrick

Haha the unruly mob has changed the world once again.

If only their complaint was that the hot chicks in the show are not getting naked enough.
under the paving stones.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

"Tako" is my friend's sister. She's been to my apt. I had no idea she was on this show. That's crazy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

theyarelegion

Tictacbk

polkablues

I don't know if it's just mod and I that still watch this show, but this last episode was the most affecting episode of television I've seen since Friday Night Lights ended.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Yeah, fantastic. Love that it broke the format, felt like a short film or something.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Agree. The show is only getting better.

It's impossible to have a sensible debate about this show online. This last episode spawned such an internet shit-storm about Lena Dunham's nudity, mostly from guys. It's infuriating and sad.

©brad

One thing that continues to irk me (besides the continuing race problem, but I need not reopen that can) is the Zosia Mamet character. She's such a caricature and feels so broad and sitcom-y in comparison to the rest of the cast. In fact after last week's episode I wish the show was just about Hannah.