Bobby

Started by MacGuffin, September 20, 2006, 06:53:21 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: November 17th, 2006 (NY/LA); November 23rd, 2006 (wide)

Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Demi Moore, Sharon Stone, Lindsay Lohan, Elijah Wood, William H. Macy, Helen Hunt, Christian Slater, Laurence Fishburne, Nick Cannon, Joshua Jackson, Joy Bryant, Freddy Rodriguez, Shia LaBeouf, Martin Sheen

Directed by: Emilio Estevez 

Premise: A re-telling of the assassination of Senator Robert F. Kennedy at the Ambassador Hotel in 1968. The film follows 22 individuals who are all at the hotel for different purposes but share the common thread of anticipating Kennedy's arrival at the primary election night party, which would change their lives forever. This historic night is set against the backdrop of the cultural issues gripping the country at the time, including racism, sexual inequality and class differences.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

I kept waiting for the tone of the trailer to, uh, change.  Nope.  Happy as can be all the way through.

But it seems interesting.

SiliasRuby

Heard alot about this. Great cast, got tingles up and down my spine as I watched the trailer. Definitely gonna see this film.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

72teeth

what about that horrible fuckin jon brion knock off in the beginning... [valley girl=all kinds]i mean seriouslah, blah, gog meh with a fuckin spwen...[/valley girl]
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

that is the biggest name cast in a movie since JFK.  and i cant believe it but i KINDA want to see An Emilio Estevez Film.  :shock:  (its probably a rental)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

This is a fantastic heartfelt film with pleanty of wonderful moments and Lohan is actually pretty damn decent in this. There are some sentimental parts but it pulls off the decade really well, William H. Macy can do no wrong and many of the other actors do their best work in years such as Christian Slater, Helen Hunt, Demi moore, Sharon Stone, and even Ashton Kutcher plays a rol that fits him, and denagrades him quite a bit.
Spoiler
They go back and forth between archive footage of Bobby Kennedy and the stories of the ensomble cast
Spolier End
If you are a Kennedy nut like I am, then you'll really enjoy this film or you might just hate it but from all of the people I've talk to about it who love kennedy movies, they really seem attached to it and connected with it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

elpablo

Really? I got invited to this having never heard of it. I thought it was probably a step above Crash. Nothing but a bunch of unimportant people giving self-important monologues. It was a playground for a bunch of really famous actors to show off in order to hide how little there was to care about in the story and the characters.

MacGuffin

Kinda with elpablo on this. Aside from maybe Demi Moore's, none of the characters were the least bit interesting. They seem very self-aware of 'a change is gonna happen' that they make these little speeches where the music swells to top off the importance. Could be from the large cast and the editing, but the film overall felt like a collection of vignettes than any real storytelling.

The only thing of note was wondering, "What if Rollergirl and Little Bill actually did get it on?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Red Vine

It suffered from the Hollywood syndrome of too many recognizable faces. Instead of seeing the characters, you see the actors speaking their dialogue. Part of that is the script's fault which seems very under-developed. This is obviously a passion piece for Estevez so I hate to be too hard on it. But....ehhhh.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">