Ask The Dust.

Started by cron, February 11, 2004, 04:24:07 PM

Yep, you read right. John Fante's book is getting adapted and directed by Chinatown screenwriter Robert Towne.   Who's playing Arturo Bandini?   Collin Farrel.   And Camila?  Try to think in a talented mexican actress working at Holywood these days... Nothing? Okay, a mexican actress ?  Yep,  Salma Hayek's playing Camila.

BOOOOO.
context, context, context.

SoNowThen

Whatsa problem with Salma??
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

First of all , her english pronunciation is very bad.   Laughable.  Mexican Curious for you, maybe, but  Frida was filled with dialogues including the words "frijoles" "tacos"  "panzon". Stereotypes.
Now, this may help on the role she's playing on Ask the Dust,  but that leads me to the second point: She can't really act.  And John Fante's material is too precious to be ruined by her.
I apologize to Salma admirers for being harsh on this but Ask the Dust is one of my favorite books and while I was having the unavoidable "Which star could play this character if this book was a movie?" fantasy (almost as unavoidable as watching the page number [speaking of which have you noticed that, in a book, the even numbers are on the left pages while the odd numbers are on the right?])  i kept wishing that Salma stayed away from this.

ono

I liked Frida.  One of my favorite movies of 2002.  :(

I liked Julie Taymor's direction , photography, and the cool montages.  That aside,  even  Geoffrey Rush  acted bad on it... I think. Not the most convincing rrrrrrussian accent you've heard, right?

pete

dude you can't judge salma's english through a mexican character she plays.  she was ACTING in frida, man.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

I wasn't  just talking about Frida,  In fact, I was remembering Dogma  when I wrote that.  There's a line, i don't remember which one but it involves Jason Lee, that she screams and it's obvious she's trying very hard to get a flawless american accent.

pete

dogma was so long ago for me, so I don't remember, but I've seen salma hayek in interviews and she is extremely articulate, not just for a foreigner either.
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: cronopioI wasn't  just talking about Frida,  In fact, I was remembering Dogma  when I wrote that.  There's a line, i don't remember which one but it involves Jason Lee, that she screams and it's obvious she's trying very hard to get a flawless american accent.

Salma's accent doesn't bother me nearly as much as Penelope Cruz's does.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

salma should show more skin, she can probably be like the mexican monica belluci.  yeah penelope cruz plays up the cute spanish accent way too much.
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: cronopioTry to think in a talented mexican actress working at Holywood these days...

What's your take on Eva Mendes? She was originally slated to play Camilla before Salma took over. Also:

Donald Sutherland Will Ask the Dust
Source: Univision

According to Univision, Donald Sutherland has joined the cast of Ask the Dust, starring Colin Farrell and Salma Hayek.

In the Robert Towne-directed adaptation of John Fante's Depression Era novel, Hayek will play the fiery Mexican beauty Camilla who hopes to rise above her station by marrying a wealthy American. That is complicated by meeting Arturo Bandini (Farrell), a first-generation Italian hoping to land a writing career and a blue-eyed blonde on his arm.

The film will begin shooting in March in South Africa for a 2005 release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Yes,  I read about Donald Sutherland playing Hellfrick earlier today...  See, there's a lot of potential, but Salma preoccupies me.

Funny , I just remembered Rosie Perez's accent. :lol:  :lol:

I haven't seen anything with Eva Mendes...  :cry:

ono

Quote from: petesalma should show more skin
You obviously haven't seen Frida.  Yummy.  Very yummy.

MacGuffin

Val Kilmer Will Ask the Dust

Val Kilmer has joined the cast of Robert Towne's Ask the Dust, an adaptation of John Fante's Depression Era novel. Kilmer joins Colin Farrell, Salma Hayek, and Donald Sutherland in the film, written and to be directed by Towne.

Hayek will play the fiery Mexican beauty Camilla who hopes to rise above her station by marrying a wealthy American. That is complicated by meeting Arturo Bandini (Farrell), a first-generation Italian hoping to land a writing career and a blue-eyed blonde on his arm.

Principal photography on the drama, produced by Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner, starts on May 3.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: March 10th, 2006 (limited)

Cast: Colin Farrell, Salma Hayek, Donald Sutherland, Charlie Hunnam, Eileen Atkins

Writer: Robert Towne

Directed by: Robert Towne 

Premise: A young man, full of ambition and shame for having been castigated in Colorado for his Italian heritage, comes to Los Angeles to become a novelist and meet a blonde beauty. As his writing flourishes, he meets and becomes obsessed with a Mexican barmaid.

Skeleton FilmWorks