Around The World In 80 Days

Started by MacGuffin, February 05, 2004, 11:10:02 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: June 16th, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Jackie Chan (Passepartout), Steve Coogan (Phileas Fogg), Kathy Bates (Queen Victoria), Richard Branson (cameo), Jim Broadbent (Lord Kelvin), John Cleese (The Balloon Man), Cecille de France (Monique de Grave), Sammo Hung, Johnny Knoxville, Ian McNiece (Colonel Kitchner), Rob Schneider (cameo), Arnold Schwarzenegger (Turkish Prince), Wim Wenders (cameo), Luke Wilson and Owen Wilson (the Wright Brothers)

Director: Frank Coraci (The Waterboy, The Wedding Singer)

Screenwriter: David Titcher (cowriter of Morgan Stewart's Coming Home) and Michael D. Weiss (has written direct-to-video titles like Octopus and Octopus 2: River of Fear; cowrote Crocodile); rewrite by Tim McCanlies (The Iron Giant, Dancer, Texas Pop 81; cowriter of North Shore); rewrite by Steven Peros (The Cat's Meow)

Based Upon: The 19th century novel, "Around the World in Eighty Days", by Jules Verne. It's been adapted to television several times (most notably as a 1989 mini-series starring Pierce Brosnan), and as a 1956 theatrical release starring David Niven as Phileas Fogg.

Premise: This version of the classic novel set in 1872 focuses on Passepartout (Chan), a Chinese thief who steals a valuable jade Buddha and then seeks refuge in the traveling companionship of an eccentric London inventor and adventurer, Phileas Fogg (Coogan), who has taken on a bet with members of his gentlemens' club that he can make it around the world in a mere 80 days, using a variety of means of transportation, like boats, trains, balloons, elephants, etc. Along the way, Passepartout uses his amazing martial arts abilities to defend Fogg from the many dangers they face... One major threat to their adventure is a detective that's following them. Why? Just as Fogg and Passeportout left London, a major bank was robbed, with Fogg suspected of using the "around the world" trip as an excuse to escape... Their path from London and back includes stops in Paris, Turkey, India, China and the United States of America. (Jim Broadbent plays Lord Kelvin, the head of the Royal Academy of Science, who makes the bet with Fogg; Knoxville plays an "eccentric hobo" they meet along the way; de France plays a French artist who is also traveling around the world; famed British tycoon and hot air balloon enthusiast Richard Branson has a cameo role as... a hot air balloon enthusiast).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffinMichael D. Weiss (has written direct-to-video titles like Octopus and Octopus 2: River of Fear; cowrote Crocodile)

.well i guess no oscar nom. for screenplay next year for this film......

mogwai

is this a sequel to 24 hour party people?

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: petehttp://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2004/0-9ABC/Around-The-World-In-80-Days/trailer-page.html

More proof nobody reads what I post.

Not true. Thats only a proof that some people in here are really stupid.

mogwai

dunno about rest of you guys but this made me laugh very hard:

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanHe looks like Cher.

context, context, context.

picolas

TRAILER SPOILER TRAILER SPOILER TRAILER SPOILER WAH WAHHH

the part where the guy's socks slip out of Chan's hands.. holy shit. that will be big.  that will be the new bullet time.

also i'm disappointed that Coogan isn't as funny as that British magazine led me to believe.

mogwai

Quote from: picolas;also i'm disappointed that Coogan isn't as funny as that British magazine led me to believe.
he sounds like david bowie when he talks! it's an outrage! waaaaah!

cine

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanHe looks like Cher.
I was thinking of a butch Andie MacDowell.

Bottle_Rocketeer

There aint enuff steroids in the world to make Andie MacDowell that Butch.

Thanks for the trailer.

snaporaz

sounded kind of cool until i saw how fucking cute the trailer makes it look.