Timeline

Started by Gamblour., November 29, 2003, 12:29:44 AM

Gamblour.

Anyone else see this? I read the book, loved it, saw the movie, fucking hated it. This movie is soooo bad, unbearable, I found myself laughing almost more than I had in Elf (but for different reasons of course, Elf was trying to make me laugh). They took everything that was interesting about the book, the history, the quantum theory, the archaic languages, the gender roles, Merick's love of the culture, EVERYTHING, and threw it away for this shitty piece of action trash. Besides the poor adaptation, the movie was so sloppily thrown together, the editing was so fucking shoddy, and if I had to hear that goddamned fax metaphor one more time...

Back to the book, I hated how they made everything seem so accidental, the way that ITC discovered the time travel seemed like "Hey cool, time travel." But anyhow, the writing was so bad, I laughed a few times: "Trust me, this is 1357 France." Anyone else see this? Please say yes, so we can sit back and relax and enjoy how bad it was. Anyone?
WWPTAD?

picolas

loved the book. i was pretty certain the movie would suck from the trailer and interviews. is it really only normal time travel now? eww.

ima remake this later.

Gamblour.

Quote from: picolasloved the book. i was pretty certain the movie would suck from the trailer and interviews. is it really only normal time travel now? eww.

ima remake this later.

It's not so much that even call it normal time travel, they just say, "We accidentally uncovered a wormhole that will only go to 1357 France." This pissed me off so much. I kept thinking how could they ignore all of the intelligence the book had, and how I would've made it so much better, with a much smaller budget. They put all their money into making fireballs no one gives a damn about.

The only reason I saw was I wanted to see how it held up to the book. It was very educational.
WWPTAD?

Finn

I don't have very high expectations for this one. I haven't read the book, but the movie looks completly unoriginal and stupid.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

picolas

when i was reading the book, i would always be thinking things like "wow! so there's another universe where the earth is just an enormous wasteland except for this one giant pit where i'm fighting someone to the death! and one where everything's the same except i didn't just think that! or that! cool!"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SydneyI don't have very high expectations for this one.

..why?????????????????....the versatile paul walker graces this film

Gamblour.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: SydneyI don't have very high expectations for this one.

..why?????????????????....the versatile paul walker graces this film

Honestly, I thought he might have some redeeming qualities in this, he was one of the only parts of Fast and the Furious that I didn't fully hate. But no...your sarcasm is right on.
WWPTAD?

Pas

This movie definietly has the lamest plot and godawfulest medieval scenes.

It was partly shot in my small hometown, hurray !

smash

Yeah, this one was a waste of time...shoulda seen "Bad Santa"...

MacGuffin

While I have no doubt that the book was better, this wasn't that bad. Believe me, I've seen worse (Charlie's Angels 2, anyone). The problem was mainly, for an action/adventure film, it was empty. I didn't feel any 'time is running out' suspense or any of the heroes in danger. But I didn't feel the characters and situations were so bad that I laughed and didn't care if they lived or died.

It was pretty funny to see The Merovingian in a very un-Matrix-like look and role.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

the trailer for this looked so bad. "it's a bravheart for the new century" or whatever......and different slow mo shots of all of their mouths gaping open over and over again.....woooow....time travel is so scary and unexpected
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasand different slow mo shots of all of their mouths gaping open over and over again.....woooow....time travel is so scary and unexpected

The machine is breaking down their molecules in order to send them back (they relate it to being like a human fax machine). It's explained that it would hurt during that process.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

yeah, i have no idea what it would be like.....those shots just looked really cheesy to me
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SHAFTR

I have a friend who seemed very excited about this film.  He said that he loves following Paul Walker's career.

It made me laugh.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffinWhile I have no doubt that the book was better, this wasn't that bad. Believe me, I've seen worse (Charlie's Angels 2, anyone). The problem was mainly, for an action/adventure film, it was empty. I didn't feel any 'time is running out' suspense or any of the heroes in danger. But I didn't feel the characters and situations were so bad that I laughed and didn't care if they lived or died.

It was pretty funny to see The Merovingian in a very un-Matrix-like look and role.

I tried separating it from the book, but even then it seemed incredibly sloppy. To be honest, I really did laugh when *spoilers* they killed the Minority Report/Band of Brothers guy. It was so sudden and unneeded, I thought it was hilarious. I'll have to see Charlie's Angels 2 then, I don't see how something could be much worse.
WWPTAD?