The Master - SPOILERS!

Started by polkablues, August 18, 2012, 01:41:45 AM

Drill

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on June 20, 2020, 07:56:12 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on June 20, 2020, 12:14:36 AM
The "pig fuck" line was so memorable that Anderson kept it in when the scene in question had to be reshot at a later date in a different location with a different actor opposite Hoffman.

I wonder what the scene was like the first time, who the other actor was, and why they re-shot it. At this point it's hard to picture someone other than Christopher Evan Welch in that scene.

I would die for access to the PTA vault. I want to see all the early Dano-less CMBB stuff, the deleted magnolia stuff, and really just raw footage and audio between takes of him directing, watching him work with the actors and seeing them try out different shit. And I'm sure there are plenty of deleted / reshot scenes that we don't even know about.

Or the deleted scenes/subplot in Phantom Thread with Reynolds' children.

ForTheHungryBoy

Quote from: Drill on June 21, 2020, 12:02:17 AM
The "pig fuck" line was so memorable that Anderson kept it in when the scene in question had to be reshot at a later date in a different location with a different actor opposite Hoffman.

I wonder what the scene was like the first time, who the other actor was, and why they re-shot it. At this point it's hard to picture someone other than Christopher Evan Welch in that scene.

I would die for access to the PTA vault. I want to see all the early Dano-less CMBB stuff, the deleted magnolia stuff, and really just raw footage and audio between takes of him directing, watching him work with the actors and seeing them try out different shit. And I'm sure there are plenty of deleted / reshot scenes that we don't even know about.

Link to this? Never heard of this one

Tdog

Was it shot amd taken out by Tichenor or was it just in the script and unused. I remember somebody in the production mentioning it in an interview but I can't remember who.
Glad it was cut anyway, it would have made Reynolds irredeemably unlikeable in my mind, had it been in the final movie.

kingfan011

Quote from: Tdog on June 21, 2020, 05:31:41 AM

Was it shot amd taken out by Tichenor or was it just in the script and unused. I remember somebody in the production mentioning it in an interview but I can't remember who.
Glad it was cut anyway, it would have made Reynolds irredeemably unlikeable in my mind, had it been in the final movie.

Wasn't there an entire section about Alma's family cut. I seem to remember when it was filming there was a youtube video of him filming two people on a  boat gangplank and I feel like one of the characters was Alma. Maybe I'm wrong.

Drenk

There was the boyfriend of Alma on the beach. And her sister who's actually on a scene after the wedding.
Ascension.

jviness02

If I remember correctly (I can't find the interview so I may be wrong), Tichenor said that the scene by the fire( the first staring contest if you will) was much much longer and they discuss Reynolds' kids and all of his baby mamas(my guess this is what leads up to her asking why he's not married). I'm not sure if there was ever any scenes with the children or not.

Tdog

I just saw this clip for the first time and I hope that PTA also saw it and took from it in some small way for Dodd's arrest scene! It's outstanding!

ForTheHungryBoy

Quote from: jviness02 on June 23, 2020, 10:36:54 AM

If I remember correctly (I can't find the interview so I may be wrong), Tichenor said that the scene by the fire( the first staring contest if you will) was much much longer and they discuss Reynolds' kids and all of his baby mamas(my guess this is what leads up to her asking why he's not married). I'm not sure if there was ever any scenes with the children or not.
Interesting. I wonder if this scene came about when Paul was doing his signature "get two people talking" exercise to help find out who they are... Seems natural that these parts in his film ultimately get trimmed

jviness02

Quote from: ForTheHungryBoy on June 30, 2020, 09:53:54 PM
Quote from: jviness02 on June 23, 2020, 10:36:54 AM

Interesting. I wonder if this scene came about when Paul was doing his signature "get two people talking" exercise to help find out who they are... Seems natural that these parts in his film ultimately get trimmed

That's a good observation. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case and that was one of the first scenes he wrote. Long exposition can be a drag and clunky writing, but normally when it makes sense for one of the characters to be asking the other character for the information( think of the processing scene in The Master or Kay asking about all of Michael's family members at the wedding in the The Godfather), it can be a quite  effective and easy way to reveal a character. I'm not sure this scene would have been enhanced  to hear the whole conversation like those scenes mentioned, but I would love to see the full conversation regardless.

Shughes

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this - a designer friend of mine has made some excellent prints, including a set for The Master, that he's now selling through his Etsy shop.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/886169399/the-master-3xa4-print-set?ref=shop_home_active_8

Other films/prints include Moonlight, You Were Never Really Here, Arrival, and more. In case this is of interest.

Alethia

wilberfan

Cool! 

Needs more BOOGIE NIGHTS.

nomorecoffee

Quote from: Drenk on February 04, 2019, 03:00:27 PM
Mason & Dixon, Thomas Pynchon, page 406

"Someone owns you, Sir. He pays for your Meals and Lodging. He lends you out to others. What is that call'd, where you come from?"
"Why, and if you are free of such Arrangements", Mason shrugs, "hurrah thrice over and perhaps one day you may instruct all the rest of us in how, exactly."

reading this now............... man this is so close and specific...... although it's not in the script, I think it is said that it was improvised by PSH. But maybe PTA just thought about this on set and quickly wrote that for Philip? might not be the truth but I like to believe it.

kingfan011

Quote from: nomorecoffee on November 28, 2020, 09:41:24 PM
Quote from: Drenk on February 04, 2019, 03:00:27 PM
Mason & Dixon, Thomas Pynchon, page 406

"Someone owns you, Sir. He pays for your Meals and Lodging. He lends you out to others. What is that call'd, where you come from?"
"Why, and if you are free of such Arrangements", Mason shrugs, "hurrah thrice over and perhaps one day you may instruct all the rest of us in how, exactly."

reading this now............... man this is so close and specific...... although it's not in the script, I think it is said that it was improvised by PSH. But maybe PTA just thought about this on set and quickly wrote that for Philip? might not be the truth but I like to believe it.

That's a wild coincidence if Hoffman improvised it. It's so close

nomorecoffee

Just found this cool article on the coloring of The Master

https://lowepost.com/casestudies/the-master-r13/

Always nice to hear some words on how PTA collaborates. Also the technical part is kind of cool