What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Pas

Do you guys like James Ellroy ? I just read his latest and I tought it was less good than his earlier... but his early early aren't so good... so I guess the guy is like some kind of y=x^2 graph

polkablues

Quote from: Pas Rapso I guess the guy is like some kind of y=x^2 graph

best... analogy... ever.

In other news, I'm in the middle of Vonnegut's short story collection, "Welcome to the Monkeyhouse".  Currently, I'm marvelling over how television was able to take a bizzare, creative little six-page science fiction story called "Harrison Bergeron", and turn it into a ridiculous, bland two-hour TV movie, also called "Harrison Bergeron".  For shits and grins, read the physical description of the character in the story, and then look at Sean Astin.  Best casting ever.
My house, my rules, my coffee

GoneSavage

Struth.  I think in the story he's like 7 feet tall, rail thin, and can leap extremely high.  I doubt Sean Astin can even leap over his pile of Burger King wrappers.

Quote from: polkablues

best... analogy... ever.

but wouldn't that mean that he's  exponentially good?

y=-x^2,  [0,57)  , no?

anyway:

context, context, context.

Slick Shoes

kotte

Due to my move back home I had to put down Perfume for a while but now I'm close to finishing it. And I like it a lot. Though I do not see Jean-Baptiste as the good looking guy cast in the film.

Next up? Crime and Punishment...

I'm looking for good short story writers and collections? Any suggestions?
I know about and love the work of Ethan Coen and Raymond Carver...

Slick Shoes

Quote from: kotteI'm looking for good short story writers and collections? Any suggestions?
I know about and love the work of Ethan Coen and Raymond Carver...
Get this...

"Among The Missing" by Dan Chaon. It's absolutely phenomenal. It is the sort of book that makes you think of your own life creatively. And I've never read Carver, but I've heard his name mentioned more than once by people discussing this book.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ultrahip Lobster SupperWhoa! Wher'd you get Lunar Park? I thought it wasn't out til September!

I think they bumped it up to mid-late August but I lucked out and got my hands on an advance copy.  It's probably his most reserved book (relatively speaking, anyway), basically his tribute to Stephen King.

Pubrick

Quote from: kotteThough I do not see Jean-Baptiste as the good looking guy cast in the film.
Quote from: Pubrickben whishaw..
oh yeah, he's a real looker!
under the paving stones.

Pas

Quote from: cronopio
Quote from: polkablues

best... analogy... ever.

but wouldn't that mean that he's  exponentially good?

y=-x^2,  [0,57)  , no?

Haha yes I fucked up ... what's the one like a bell ???

kotte

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: kotteThough I do not see Jean-Baptiste as the good looking guy cast in the film.
Quote from: Pubrickben whishaw..
oh yeah, he's a real looker!

Well he's definitely not an Affleck, if that's what you're into.
But yeah, I'd call Whishaw good looking...

Gloria

Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs -  Chuck Klosterman

72teeth

How is it so far? Ive always wanted to read that one.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

kotte

Between a Rock and a Hard Place - Aron Ralston

The dude amputated his own arm, after being stuck...yes, between a rock and a hard place. After five days stuck he broke his own arm and cut it off with a fucking pen-knife.
Read it and your "film school or not" dilemmas will diminish. That's a real fucking decision.

...and I got a splinter under my nail last week and cried like a baby. :shock: (btw, that's the worst pain I've ever been through)

Gloria

Quote from: 72teethHow is it so far? Ive always wanted to read that one.

It's entertaining.  I mean...overall, it's hit and miss, but he makes some convincing arguments.