there has been blood (and now QT's review of CMBB)

Started by pete, November 06, 2007, 01:06:10 AM

picolas

Quote from: idk on February 03, 2008, 10:45:48 PM
After reading most of the script I've become somewhat disappointed with how much the film departs from the script. I realize the film still runs pretty long but I'd say too many of the things that didn't make it were more than worthy. One dramatic example is the altered final sequence in which Daniel originally throws Eli's dead body down the bowling alley shoot thing, I mean how is that not the coolest shit ever?! Another personal favorite is the conversation between Daniel and Abel at the derrick where Daniel tells him his son is a lunatic while his men are "fishin" for a piece of a broken bit or something. And the whole sequence at the beginning of the 1927 section where H.W. goes back to Little Boston. There are so many more, is it possible they were pressed for time and money? If so that is a real shame.
another great deleted thing from imdb:

Paul Thomas Anderson planned to have the restored bowling alley (used at the climax) located next to the Greystone Mansion to be entirely painted in white to give some Kubrick symmetry and menacing quality (also a nod to A Clockwork Orange (1971)). However, he changed it to its original state when it was later decided that the bowling alley was to be given away for ownership after filming.

i'd also really like to know why many of the things were changed/deleted. i have the same feeling.. they sound too good to be altered for purely artistic reasons. though there is that deleted campfire scene that was cut just because "we didn't need it."

edison

Quote from: bigideas on February 03, 2008, 10:50:40 PM

p.s. it's quite funny the way he says "yes, i do."
and
"give me the blood lord and let me get away."

I love those lines

I was also wondering what Daniel is saying when Eli is slapping him during the baptism; almost like he is egging him on

Jeremy Blackman

Notice he says "there's a pipeline" after these words are sung:

"There's power in the lord! There's power in the lord!"

...as a response?

FrunLg

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 04, 2008, 12:21:29 PM
Notice he says "there's a pipeline" after these words are sung:

"There's power in the lord! There's power in the lord!"

...as a response?

That's how i saw it as well. I think the lyrics are "There's power in the blood", the blood of the lamb, i think.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: FrunLg on February 04, 2008, 12:29:44 PMI think the lyrics are "There's power in the blood", the blood of the lamb, i think.

Yeah... you're quite a bit closer than I was...

Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood!
Would you o'er evil a victory win?
There's wonderful power in the blood!

There is power, power, wonder-working power
in the blood... of the lamb!
There is power, power, wonder-working power
in the precious blood of the lamb!

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/h/therepow.htm

FrunLg

haha, when i first heard that song on the youtube teaser trailer, i thought it was "power in the blood of the land", which would work as well.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Omero on February 02, 2008, 02:56:35 AM
Quote from: bigideas on February 02, 2008, 12:42:42 AM
he promised twice to kill the banker, but he did not.

or did he... :ponder:

thinking about this more i thought it might have been cool had in both scenes the guy had had a fancy pocket watch or something that would be very noticeable and stuck in your head subliminally and then in the final H.W. scene where Daniel is at the desk, he opens a drawer and you see that watch. you know, like some small detail you might not even notice having watched it five times.

i hope that on the DVD you can fast forward the color bars a few minutes to see repeated tests of throwing a blood eli dummy through the bowling pins.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Red Vine

Quote from: pozer on February 04, 2008, 05:54:35 PM
why dont you do it?  go in debth as to why you think it is far from a great film. 

Okay.

SPOILERS!

While I admire much of the film's craftsmanship (cinematography, musical score, etc....) I felt the script was lacking on a couple of major levels. As a character study, it contains many scenes of behavior and very few scenes of insight. We get some insight with the Henry Plainview subplot displaying Daniel's desire for family and kinship. It gives the character another dimension but the film doesn't take it further than that. Instead, we get so many scenes that repeat the same concept - Daniel's hatred for society and his determination to win. This includes a scene where he blatantly talks about his frustration with most people. And since this film is mostly a character study, I would've expected PTA to have explored his character further than he did.  "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia" had way more emotional depth to their characters in my opinion.

Then the film ends on a wildly eccentric note that almost kills the momentum of everything before it. It's not what happens in particular but the manner in which it's presented. There have been debates on whether it was intentionally comedic, but either way the tone struck me as inappropriate and overwrought.

Again, I love elements of the film and perhaps I'll love and hate more things about it over time. While it stands as a bit of a mess for me, it's a fascinating mess.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

The Red Vine

Quote from: modage on February 04, 2008, 06:51:52 PM
Quote from: The Red Vine on February 04, 2008, 05:47:03 PM
From my first viewing I knew it was far from being a great film. Even if I thought it was, I'm open to hearing all arguments for or against it.
you don't deserve your avatar.

Faith needs a doubt.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: FrunLg on February 04, 2008, 05:00:27 PM
haha, when i first heard that song on the youtube teaser trailer, i thought it was "power in the blood of the land", which would work as well.

I just searched iTunes for "power in the blood." Turns out to be a very popular (and often hilariously-recorded) song. Check out Andy Griffith's version. He sounds extremely drunk.

md

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 04, 2008, 09:13:15 PM

I just searched iTunes for "power in the blood." Turns out to be a very popular (and often hilariously-recorded) song. Check out Andy Griffith's version. He sounds extremely drunk.
No he doesn't. 
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

tpfkabi

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 04, 2008, 09:13:15 PM

i've sung the song many a time in church. it's in the Heavenly Highway Hymnal (the same one shown in Walk the Line) and those are used all over the south - at least in Texas anyway. more a smaller church probably. bigger churches have brought more and more modern praise and worship songs into services.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

FrunLg

QuoteI just searched iTunes for "power in the blood." Turns out to be a very popular (and often hilariously-recorded) song. Check out Andy Griffith's version. He sounds extremely drunk

The 'Youth for Christ' version is frightening, now I'll have nightmares with this as the overture to the sequence we have been discussing....

jtm

Quote from: FrunLg on February 03, 2008, 11:53:23 AM
After he mumbles "this for a pipeline" or something to that effect, doesn't he get up and walk over to eli (with the blood of lamb music playing), shakes eli's hand and says something to him which the audience cannot hear? But as he walks into the crowd we see a very concerned look on eli's face. Did this happen, i cannot remember, but it's nagging me. What do you think he said? I can only imagine it was like something he said eariler..."I'm going to bury you..." Which is probably the next scene after "i'm finished", no?

one of the last things he says to Eli is "i told you i would eat you!" i don't remember him saying that anytime in the film so i figure that's what he whispered. and if those were indeed the last words he said to Eli before they meet again at the end, then it makes sense that the next thing he says is "how dare you come to my home".. Eli handed himself over on a platter.

Gamblour.

Quote from: jtm on February 05, 2008, 12:47:06 AM
one of the last things he says to Eli is "i told you i would eat you!" i don't remember him saying that anytime in the film so i figure that's what he whispered. and if those were indeed the last words he said to Eli before they meet again at the end, then it makes sense that the next thing he says is "how dare you come to my home".. Eli handed himself over on a platter.

This is brilliant and I will forever believe this to be what he whispered.
WWPTAD?