The 2005 Awards Season Has Started!

Started by MacGuffin, December 01, 2004, 01:42:12 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhen has the Academy ever awarded personal and challenging works?

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: ®edlumThe Baftas were pretty bad this year (in terms of entertainment anyway). As always its the foreign film contenders who really seem to appreciate it, so I was only really glad for their two wins. Particularly the score.
haha, my favorite part was when Gillian Anderson came out to present an award.. they focused on sum dude whose face was expressing what we were all thinking: "wtf is with the british accent?!". the dude quickly changed his expression when he realised he was on screen.

and i guess his expression was also a reaction to the weird joke she made, but anyway forget the dude, the point remains: haha, seriously.. she used to hav one of the hottest american accents around. :yabbse-sad:
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

We have accents?!? I thought that was something you goofy foreigners had, that's what made you you!
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Delbonnel sets scene for ASC

Bruno Delbonnel took top honors for Warner Independent Pictures' "A Very Long Engagement" at the annual American Society of Cinematographers Outstanding Achievement Awards, which took place Sunday. It is the first time the French cinematographer has won an ASC Award, though he also was nominated by the honorary cinematography society for his work on Jean Pierre Jeunet's "Amelie." The award was presented to Delbonnel at the 19th annual ASC Outstanding Achievement Awards at the Grand Ballroom at Hollywood & Highland. Robbie Greenberg claimed top honors for HBO's "Iron Jawed Angels" in the cable movie competition. Jonathan Freeman won for NBC's "Homeland Security" in the original movie for broadcast television heat. Nathan Hope won for the episodic series competition for the "Down the Drain" episode of CBS' "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Super Size' earns first WGA feature docu award

The WGA's inaugural award for documentary feature writing was presented Tuesday to Morgan Spurlock for "Super Size Me," a first-person study of America's fast-food industry and culture. The award was given out at a special ceremony at the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood, which also served as a mixer for about 400 nonfiction filmmakers. WGA West and WGA East will hold their full awards dinners Saturday at the Hollywood Palladium and the Pierre Hotel in New York, respectively. Tuesday's event marked the first time the WGA has honored a writer for documentary screenplay. Organizers say the recognition was driven by the rising popularity of documentary features and the primary role writers play in creating them. Producer Brian Grazer presented the award to Spurlock, Roadside Attractions, Samuel Goldwyn Films and Showtime Independent Films.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Sunshine,' 'Sideways' Win Writers Guild Honors

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "Sideways" were the big film winners at the 57th annual Writers Guild Awards Saturday.

"Sunshine," by Charlie Kaufman, based on a story by Kaufman, Michel Gondry and Pierre Bismuth, won for original screenplay. "Sideways," by Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, and based on a novel by Rex Pickett, got the nod for adapted screenplay.

In television, the laurel for longform adapted screenplay went to HBO's "Angels in America," which Tony Kushner adapted from his Pulitzer Prize-winning play of the same name.

Fox's "The Simpsons" prevailed in the competition among animated TV series for the episode "Catch 'Em If You Can," by Ian Maxtone-Graham.

In the comedy-variety series field, the victor was NBC's "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" and for comedy-variety special it was "The Kennedy Center Honors" on CBS.

CBS' "The Guiding Light" was the winner for daytime serial and the winner for children's script was Showtime's "A Separate Peace" for Wendy Kesselman's adaptation of John Knowles' classic coming-of-age novel.

The episodic drama laurel went to NBC's "The West Wing," for the episode "The Supremes," written by Debora Cahn.

There was a tie for the winner in the episodic comedy category, both from Fox. The winners were "Arrested Development" for the episode "Pier Pressure," from writers Jim Vallely and series creator-executive producer Mitch Hurwitz; and "Malcolm in the Middle," for the episode "Ida's Boyfriend" written by Neil Thompson.

HBO's "Something the Lord Made," by Peter Silverman and Robert Caswell, prevailed in the category of original telefilm screenplay.

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

pretty excellent. glad desparate f'ing housewives was blatantly ignored.

i'm just getting into the west wing now that there are reruns on bravo and i must say it is some of the best writing on television by far.

El Duderino

not in this season...the ones on bravo are really reall great, but when aaron sorkin left, it went totally downhill.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?