How do you melt a girl with a heart of stone...?

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 05, 2003, 11:43:20 AM

NEON MERCURY

just add Ice.

-tagline from Vanilla's cult classic -COOL AS ICE-8)

what is your fav.  smoooooothe tagline?

SoNowThen

Lie. Cheat. Steal.
All in a days work.

Glengarry Glen Ross
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Things fall down.  People look up.  And when it rains, it pours.

(Hey, you know someone was gonna say it sooner or later; just thought I'd get it out of the way.  ;))

Sleuth

Who's the one guy who always brings up Breakin'2:  Electric Boogaloo?  Yeah, he should post here
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Do what Cecil does: Invite her over to your place, queue up Crash and In the Company of Men, and watch the stone just melt away...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

ekzellent topic, i'm quite fond of taglines.

most recently my fave is..

"Love. Betrayal. Death"

and the last part of this one has really grown on me

"..His love is real. But he is not."

but as usual Kubrick owns this category

"Being the adventures of a young
man whose principal interests are rape,
ultra-violence and Beethoven."

honorable mention: Royal Tenenbaums - "Family isn't a word.. it's a sentence."
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pekzellent topic, i'm quite fond of taglines.

most recently my fave is..

"Love. Betrayal. Death"

and the last part of this one has really grown on me

"..His love is real. But he is not."

but as usual Kubrick owns this category

"Being the adventures of a young
man whose principal interests are rape,
ultra-violence and Beethoven."

honorable mention: Royal Tenenbaums - "Family isn't a word.. it's a sentence."

YES!! You got me, Clockwork is my absolute fav by far. Can't believe I missed that...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Derek237

Any call can be murder, any stop can be suicide, any night can be the last. And you thought your job was hell?

-Bringing Out The Dead

In the spring of 1980 the port at Mariel Harbor was opened, and thousands set sail for the United States. They came in search of the American Dream. One of them found it on the sun washed avenues of Miami... wealth, power and passion beyond his wildest dreams. He was Tony Montana but the world will remember him by another name... Scarface

He loved the American Dream. With a Vengeance.

-Scarface

LoveHateDreamsLifeWorkPlayFriendshipSex

-Vanilla Sky

Ernie

alexander payne has great taglines....

Reading. Writing. Revenge. - election

Schmidt happens. - about schmidt

Alethia

the life of a dreamer, the days of a business, and the nights in between

alot can happen in the middle of nowhere.

LOOK OUT! Caught between the feds and a cold blooded killer, with half a million dollars up for grabs.  Noone knows how it's going down, except for maybe...JACKIE BROWN

we are not alone...

be a part of the sights, sounds, and smells of this celebrated heavy metal phenomenon.  It's an experience you'll never forget!

Man in search of america - could not find it anywhere!

who will survive and what will be left of them?

godardian

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaThings fall down.  People look up.  And when it rains, it pours.

(Hey, you know someone was gonna say it sooner or later; just thought I'd get it out of the way.  ;))

Fuck, that avatar is awesomely perfect. I wish I'd thought of that. It doesn't stink.  :yabbse-thumbup:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

children with angels

"...no introduction necessary."

American Psycho.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Quote from: children with angels"...no introduction necessary."

American Psycho.

Was that the UK promotional line? In the US, the posters said, "Killer looks." Is that the tagline, what you read on the poster?

children with angels

Yeah: "no introduction necessary" was the only tagline we had.
"Killer Looks? That sucks! If was going to create a bad cliche of what a studio would use as a tagline for that movie, that would be it...!
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsYeah: "no introduction necessary" was the only tagline we had.
"Killer Looks? That sucks! If was going to create a bad cliche of what a studio would use as a tagline for that movie, that would be it...!

Luckily, it was in very tiny qotation-surrounded letters. You had to be standing in front of the poster to see it. But yeah, I don't think Lion's Gate did a very good job promoting it. It was another Velvet Goldmine, campaign-wise; the ads and trailers were purposely misleading, thereby wasting the chance to appeal to the audience who would be up for what the movies actually are, and disappointing audiences who are coming in expecting something that the movie actually isn't. It's just insulting to everyone, all around.