Jon Stewart or Bill Maher

Started by classical gas, November 06, 2003, 02:57:16 PM

Ravi

http://www.washingtondispatch.com/culture/archives/000756.html

CNN's Crossfire Struck Down by Friendly Fire
January 6, 2005 10:40 AM

The 22 year-old debate program aired on CNN, "Crossfire," will be reduced to a segment within another program according to Howard Kurtz of the Washington Post.

After losing bow-tie wearing oddball Tucker Carlson to MSNBC, CNN's executives seem to have realized that the program offered no substantive material aside from a constant stream of rhetoric and partisan bickering.

Carlson, a supposedly conservative pundit and former writer for the Weekly Standard was wooed by MSNBC with a 9 p.m. time slot for his own show.

As for the other hosts of "Crossfire," it appears that they will be dwindling in their participation on CNN as well. Robert Novak, who will be known only as a Bush apologist in his final years will not only be losing "Crossfire" but his CNN program "Capital Gang" as well. Paul Begala and James Carville, the left-beloved pundits derived from the Clinton administration, will most certainly remain present on the network as they represent the views of a large portion of CNN's viewership.

Jeremy Blackman

Stephen Colbert was just on Al Franken.

Here's the audio.

The whole thing is about 33 minutes (15 mb) from 3 segments.

Sorry for the interference near the end (it's AM radio).

Kal

Anybody seen the new HBO Special "Bill Maher: I'm Swiss"?

I think this guy is awsome... hilarious and although he sometimes goes too far and talks bullshit, he is usually right

pete

I was gonna rain on your thanksgiving to tell you that bill maher is not awesome when I realized that was basically what half of this thread was about.  carry on.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

Dont care. Just saying my opinion.

That standup show is excellent.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Did anyone catch Bill O' Reilly on the Dail Show tonight?

Venom was spat!

Bill: You joke about things like hurricane Katrina.
Jon: Yes. I admit it.
Bill: You admit it! Listen everyone!
Jon: We do add insult to injury.
Bill: Yes.
Jon: You add injury.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

So I was down in New Orleans trying to do my part, right, and I came across this fat, black woman.  Poor people are fat 'cause they're malnourished so they float easier too.  So I said, look, just lay down in the water, everything will be cool.  Help me out, maybe you'll get your picture in the paper, and on the teevee (black people love seeing themselves on teevee).  Where'm I going?  Grocery store.  See?  I got these food stamps here.  You want?  I held them out in front of her head, and damn if I didn't think I was commandeering a motor boat.

hedwig

Quote from: walruSDid anyone catch Bill O' Reilly on the Dail Show tonight?

Venom was spat!

Bill: You joke about things like hurricane Katrina.
Jon: Yes. I admit it.
Bill: You admit it! Listen everyone!
Jon: We do add insult to injury.
Bill: Yes.
Jon: You add injury.

Here.
Pretty funny. My favorite part is, "When are ya gonna start doin' that?"

Jeremy Blackman

Did anyone see astronaut Mike Mullane on the Daily Show a day or two ago? I didn't see it, but apparently he was on cause Jon Stewart liked his book. He's my aunt's brother. No blood relation to me, but I thought I'd mention it.

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 15, 2006, 01:06:25 PM
Did anyone see astronaut Mike Mullane on the Daily Show a day or two ago? I didn't see it, but apparently he was on cause Jon Stewart liked his book. He's my aunt's brother. No blood relation to me, but I thought I'd mention it.

Jon made a pretty funny joke after he asked Mullane if flying into space ever became routine.  Mullane said he had gone up on the shuttle three times: the first time, he was terrified; the second time, he was terrified; and the third time, he was terrified.  To which Jon responded, "But from what I hear, the fourth time is mind-numbing drudgery."

That's all I remember from the interview.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 15, 2006, 01:06:25 PM

whoa, you know a real life astronaut?  That's so cool.  Do you hang out with him a lot?
I had a dream that an astronaut came to my work to look for me when I wasn't there, I was running all over asking everyone I knew if he/she had seen an astronaut.
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

He's from New Mexico, so I haven't seen him much... maybe three or four times total. I did pick him up from the airport once. He's a pretty unique guy, he has a kind of unending energy and enthusiasm (which I'm sure was obvious in the interview)... if he were 40 years younger he'd probably be on ritalin.

pete

so cool.  astronauts...they're like the pinnacle of humans 'cause they have to be super smart and super strong.
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

Quote from: pete on February 15, 2006, 09:07:47 PM
so cool.  astronauts...they're like the pinnacle of humans 'cause they have to be super smart and super strong.

Also, they've been in outerspace and therefore are imbedded with the secrets of the universe.

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on February 15, 2006, 09:07:47 PM
but not super hot ..yet  :ponder:
under the paving stones.